Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"we dont disagree, the evidence mythical figure like you are back from the dead,"

Huh? I never left. LMAO

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't know if anyone said, since the doomsday spreging has taken over, but Sven did say that they implemented D&D as is, and then made alterations when it didn't work for a video game.

How would they have done that, if not by implementing TB and rolls?

Think for a second.

To me, that means that their fix for misses isn't to remove rolls all together, but tweak them. Either reducing Difficulty Checks for "normal" difficulty, or most likely introducing grazes.

Unless Sven lied, I don't see a fully implemented TB system being tweaked so that it becomes an action system.

It's not really that russky-junky anymore. I fully expected that so didn't play it until after it had been out for more than a year, even though isometric Pathfinder is basically my dream game. And at least when I played it, jank was down to a minimum. It's actually impressive how well stuff works considering the insane wealth of stuff implemented.

In my mind PF's biggest problem is that they implemented things with too few changes, meaning high level encounters are either a complete walkover or use "cheap mechanics" that can only be overcome with great patience or using exploits yourself.

I dunno, felt like hordes of trash encounters over and over. And with power levels of encounters and player characters being all over the place they would be either super difficult or super easy and boring. My gameplay was buffing all the animal companions then running over everything with them. And it got so boring... doesn't make for a good game imo.
you sound like a guy who says drinking is not fun and can't understand why people do it because every time you drink you drink 8 bottles of boones apple flavored wine and feel like shit. Quit playing like an idiot.

Interview with silhouettes:

02:04 - Mike Mearls mentions Neverwinter MMO as a contrast to BG3, in that while the former uses usual MMO system with cooldown with some inspirations from the tabletop ruleset, BG3 uses the tabletop ruleset as a starting point. Does this imply BG3 won't have cooldowns?
aliens.png

03:05 - Interviewer asks a straight question: will BG3 plays different with D:OS 2? And as expected Swen does not give a straight answer saying "it depends on how you look at it" and both games are similar in the sense that game gives player many systems and player use them to overcome challenges. :?

are they being held hostage?

Btw, I honestly can't think of that many examples of "systems the player can use to overcome challenges". Talking with animals, teleportation, crafting shit, moving crates, environmental combos, anything else?
exploding an acid barrel, exploding an oil barrel, exploding a water barrel, exploding an ice barrel, exploding an fire barrel, exploding a water then fire barrel, exploding a oil then fire then water barrel, etc...endless systems

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They gave a clear answer with giving a fake answer. This means that the game will play differently from DOS2. Otherwise they just said: Yes, it plays similarly.

Codex Year of the Donut
Btw, I honestly can't think of that many examples of "systems the player can use to overcome challenges". Talking with animals, teleportation, crafting shit, moving crates, environmental combos, anything else?
exploding an acid barrel, exploding an oil barrel, exploding a water barrel, exploding an ice barrel, exploding an fire barrel, exploding a water then fire barrel, exploding a oil then fire then water barrel, etc...endless systems
don't underestimate the barrelmancer

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

With Sam Lake, Mega Starks from Obsidian, and the founder of Ready at Dawn:

He rolled a 20, but no info leak? :argh: Maybe it's the part he explicitly said there's Spelljammer elements integrated (well, as teased by the trailer). Also not surprisingly the game starts out of the city.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
To all those saying that Sven would say so if it was TB or RTwP, I'm not so sure.

It is very much possible that they're waiting to reveal it in a way that softens the blow for BG / RTwP fans if it's going to be TB.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You hit 10,000/day yet?

Not yet. My coverage is too in-depth for the masses. The masses want Baby's First Golden Age or Baby's First current gen. These people don't know what THAC0 stands for, don't know what DUHM is, and I don't dumb down my content for the plebs.

Also, my purges scared off some, disappointed others, and my polemics caused even more to write my blog off. Not just individuals, but entire communities as well. In response to that, anyone who posted against me or devalued sacred legacies publicly was written off and deleted from my blog. This included modders, PW operators and other assholes.

All of it was worth it, though: they can go and jump into a lake of fire and acid. The sum-total of the traffic generated from public venues was but a drop in the ocean compared to what I ended up garnering natively from Google. At this point, I could post on the most esoetric of mods for vintage games, and still be read. And that's what I've been doing on and off. I've covered no AAA current gen shit even though it would result in exponential increase in readership. It's called having standards.

I guess if BG3 takes off and I make some structural adjustments to the blog, I could conjure way over 10k a day, but I'm not there yet and I'm not convinced that BG3 will be worth commentating on in the long term. In and of itself, that is. For butthurt generation, it could be worth it.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
if they really intended to implement something that'll REALLY piss off the old guard of fans, they'd do it relatively quickly. It's like taking off a bandaid - do it as swiftly as possible. You'll have more time to let the anger simmer down.
Well, there's still enough time left to do that.

First they might want to hook the fans enough that they won't care that much about the combat system (maybe not the RTwP fanatics, but people who played the originals and want a sequel). Get them excited by the content and the world, then ask them to give a chance to your different combat system. Alssuming it's TB, it would also have the argument of being more faithful to D&D than the previous games.

Codex Year of the Donut
You hit 10,000/day yet?

Not yet. My coverage is too in-depth for the masses. The masses want Baby's First Golden Age or Baby's First current gen. These people don't know what THAC0 stands for, don't know what DUHM is, and I don't dumb down my content for the plebs.

Also, my purges scared off some, disappointed others, and my polemics caused even more to write my blog off. Not just individuals, but entire communities as well. In response to that, anyone who posted against me or devalued sacred legacies publicly was written off and deleted from my blog. This included modders, PW operators and other assholes.

All of it was worth it, though: they can go and jump into a lake of fire and acid. The sum-total of the traffic generated from public venues was but a drop in the ocean compared to what I ended up garnering natively from Google. At this point, I could post on the most esoetric of mods for vintage games, and still be read. And that's what I've been doing on and off. I've covered no AAA current gen shit even though it would result in exponential increase in readership. It's called having standards.

I guess if BG3 takes off and I make some structural adjustments to the blog, I could conjure way over 10k a day, but I'm not there yet and I'm not convinced that BG3 will be worth commentating on in the long term. In and of itself, that is. For butthurt generation, it could be worth it.
thac0 is pants on head retarded

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
The problem is they are NOT talking about the world/plot, which is starting to worry me, given how much interviews they've already been.
They gave a reason for that. "Descent to Avernus" spoilers.

They must be under contract with WotC to not reveal much before a certain date.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well you can understand the plot without playing the module but that doesn't mean that the plot doesn't spoil the module..

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
To all those saying that Sven would say so if it was TB or RTwP, I'm not so sure.

It is very much possible that they're waiting to reveal it in a way that softens the blow for BG / RTwP fans if it's going to be TB.
We reduced them to mere 20% after years of hard battles.

They dont represent any significant portion of the market to warrant such hiding of core elements of the game. Especially when one considers DnD IS made for TB systems and that DoS games sold very well even to mass market retards.
I guess its possible things will turn around. Theoretically possible, but until they do - i dont see any sense in this approach unless the "adjustments" will result in some abomination.

Could be they are just dumb... i guess.
But Swen was on top of things really fast during DoS development.

Codex Year of the Donut
The problem is they are NOT talking about the world/plot, which is starting to worry me, given how much interviews they've already been.
They gave a reason for that. "Descent to Avernus" spoilers.

They must be under contract with WotC to not reveal much before a certain date.

But at the same time Swen said that it isn't necessary to play the module to understand the plot. Besides, what has Avernus to do with Mind Flayers? There's some red herrings going on.
They'll likely only have a small amount of tie-in/relevance. If I had to guess, the city will already be weakened due to what happens during Avernus making the mindflayer situation even worse.
Also, I'd be unsurprised if a certain SoD character makes an appearance in the Avernus module.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I wrote a bit about the Avernus module before the announcement [link].

Beamdog's portrayl of Avernus was characterisitically minimalist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom