Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Songs of Conquest - HOMM2-inspired turn-based strategy adventure game - now on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.songsofconquest.com

https://af.gog.com/game/songs_of_conquest?as=1649904300

FAQ
WHAT TYPE OF GAME IS SONGS OF CONQUEST?
Songs of Conquest is a turn based game where you build a kingdom, raise armies and control powerful magicians called wielders. You’ll quest around for loot, fight monsters, optimize build orders and strategies to pick off the enemy teams. We call it Classic Adventure Strategy, for short.

HOW DO YOU CONQUER, WILL THERE BE COMBAT?
Combat will be a major part of the game. You’ll recruit troops and your wielders will command them on the battlefield. The wielders harness a magic called “The essence”. By combining your wielders skills with the essence of the troops you get access to powerful spells.

WILL THERE BE A LEVEL EDITOR?
Yes. We want all users to be able to build interesting and visually appealing levels.

WILL THERE BE MULTIPLAYER?
Yes. At least local, to begin with.

CAN I SIGN UP TO TEST THE GAME?
Yes! Sign up to the email list above and we’ll notify you when you can test the game.

WHERE CAN I GET THE SOUNDTRACK?
We will probably release it when we release the game, but if you keep asking us for it we might share it in whole or parts earlier.

WHEN WILL THE GAME BE RELEASED?
The game is planned for release in late 2020.

WHAT PLATFORMS WILL IT BE AVAILABLE ON?
PC and Mac.

WHO IS BEHIND THE GAME?
Lavapotion is a small team based in Gothenburg, Sweden.

WHERE CAN I FOLLOW THE GAME DEVELOPMENT AND GET NEWS?
Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Discord and Youtube.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/songs-of-conquest-is-a-mix-of-heroes-of-might-and-magic-and-total-war/

Songs of Conquest is inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic and Total War
A new adventure strategy game freshly revealed at the PC Gaming Show 2019.

Songs of Conquest is an RPG inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic and Total War. It was revealed at the PC Gaming Show 2019 and you can check out the world-first footage above. I wanted to know more about the game behind that lovely pixel art and sent over a few questions to game designer Carl Toftfelt.

PC Gamer: What sort of game is Songs of Conquest? Are you controlling heroes, building up cities?

Carl Toftfelt, game designer: You kind of both have the focus on individual wielders, which is what we call our commanders, as well as on your kingdom as a whole. You’ll level up individual wielders as well as buildings and troops, while you choose the right strategy to pick off your enemies. We call it classic adventure strategy.

What is the Songs of Conquest universe like? We saw some neat monsters in the trailer.

It is a diverse and rich fantasy world with various distinct and different races and nations. Some civilizations are older than others. The terrain is as shifting and diverse as the inhabitants. There is plenty of conflict and strife, as well as riches, mysteries and adventure. A strong current of magic flows through all beings and objects. Treasures buried from civilizations long gone are waiting to be rediscovered.

How do you conquer? Is there combat? What form does it take?

Combat will be a major part of the game. You’ll raise armies and your wielder will bring them to the battlefield. The wielders harness a magic called “The essence” during combat. Meaning that you'll combine your wielders skills with the essence of the troops you bring to battle. That will give you access to powerful spells. Say if you want to use a spell to create obstacles on the battlefield, you'll have to bring say engineer troops and use their essence together with you wielders skills to cast the spell.

How will night and day affect the game?

In general, the game will be played during daytime and night will mainly be used for when you’re waiting for your turn. But, we’re still working on gameplay mechanics for the day/night cycle, so this might change. Some spells and events may cause night to become permanent which may give certain troops and Wielders specific buffs.

We've seen some undead in the trailer and some lizard folk, are there factions in the game?

Yes! Currently we are planning for four very different factions and you can see hints of them in trailer. Arleon is a faction of gallant knights, stout squires and formidable archers united with the magical Faey of the forest. Rana are the oppressed swamp frog people rising up to reclaim their mighty heritage. Doneria is a gold loving merchant nation armed with gunpowder, machines and mercenaries. And finally, the Barony of Loth is an unholy coalition between the dead and the living. Bringing death and a glorious afterlife to all who oppose them.

Did any games in particular inspire the creation of Songs of Conquest?

We are inspired by both classic adventure strategy games, such as Heroes of Might and Magic, as well as modern strategy games like Total War. We’d like the players to feel that nostalgic vibe but also get everything they’d expect from a modern title.

Are the 'Songs of Conquest' a mechanic in the game?

In our world, songs are sung about the Wielders and great deeds. The Songs of Conquest will be our way of telling the story of this world. Tales of the miracles, wonders and adventures that takes place in the scenarios and campaigns.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
This looks awesome, but I refuse to get too excited after seeing that Coffee Stain logo. Those fuckers love guzzling Sweeney's cock, so it'll likely turn out to be an EGS exclusive.

You know what's funny, maybe it's because of the recent Heroes of Might and Magic thread, but Sunday I'm watching a Digital Foundry video on Octopath Traveler and thinking: Ubisoft should make a Heroes of Might and Magic game that looks like this. Next day I'm watching some of that PC E3 show and I see this game.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
FeelTheRads Care to explain why I'm retarded for assuming that a company so knee deep in Epic's bumhole they plan on permanent exclusivity for their titles, will pull the same stunt with this particular one?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Probably because the distribution channel isn’t connected to gameplay

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Gorgeous.
knight2x.gif
chelun2x.gif

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron

It does when the distribution channel influences whether I will be purchasing this or not, no point in setting myself up for disappointment when the odds are tipped in favor of an EGS exclusive title right now. Somehow doubt I'm alone in this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The game is coming in late 2020. I don't know if Epic will still be doing exclusivity deals for random indie games by then.

agris

Arcane
Patron

It does when the distribution channel influences whether I will be purchasing this or not, no point in setting myself up for disappointment when the odds are tipped in favor of an EGS exclusive title right now. Somehow doubt I'm alone in this.
None of that is "a connection to gameplay".

We get it, you don't like EGS.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Who is this "we", exactly? Everytime I see a thread pop up about a game with any kind of indication it might go exclusive, there's always a few people voicing their distaste for the EGS. FeelTheRads just gets butthurt when people talk shit about EGS because he thinks Timmy Tencent and the Bugmen Posse's efforts to fracture the market are based as fuck due to his massive hateboner for Steam.
Anyway, I'll drop the subject now. Not because of your unwritten rule that people aren't allowed to talk about the distribution of a game in the very thread made for discussing everything about said game, but because I don't want to risk derailing this thread.

Wraithlord2x.gif

BlessedBones2x.gif

Really want to see how combat look it this. I've always kind of wished Heroes of Might and Magic would take that split screen attack screen from Nintendo's Wars games, as I've always thought Heroes of Might and Magic did a pretty terrible job of conveying to you that you're meant to controlling large armies on a big battlefield. One of those screens (which take basically the same amount of time as a Heroes attack animation anyways) showing the actual amount of troops you have in a group would really sell that you have an army.

tumblr_ng0on64Zqd1qd4q8ao1_400.gif

That PC Gamer interview makes me wonder how Total War figures into the equation. If they're trying to keep it as HoM&M as possible, and they've already said combat is turn based, maybe it just means they've added troop formations and terrain into the combats formula? Because when I think Total War I think real-time combat and formations; but I don't really know much about Total War, so maybe there's stuff I don't know about that'd be cool in a Heroes game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Who is this "we", exactly? Everytime I see a thread pop up about a game with any kind of indication it might go exclusive, there's always a few people voicing their distaste for the EGS. FeelTheRads just gets butthurt when people talk shit about EGS because he thinks Timmy Tencent and the Bugmen Posse's efforts to fracture the market are based as fuck due to his massive hateboner for Steam.

I've got no more of a hateboner for Steam than you have for Epic.
Just like you don't buy from Epic I don't buy from Steam. The difference is I don't buy from Epic either. Which means I have two hateboners. Which means you only have one dick while I have two. Chew on that.

Maybe even three hateboners if we count Windows Store. But nobody does. At least for now. If their "Nextflix for gaming" takes off, though, that might be biggest hateboner yet.

Everytime I see a thread pop up about a game with any kind of indication it might go exclusive, there's always a few people voicing their distaste for the EGS.

Yeah, but of course you're not the ones with the hateboners. Clearly it's not the ones that show up everywhere to tell everyone how much they hate Epic.

Cross

Arcane
That PC Gamer interview makes me wonder how Total War figures into the equation. If they're trying to keep it as HoM&M as possible, and they've already said combat is turn based, maybe it just means they've added troop formations and terrain into the combats formula?
HoMM4 already did this, though it could certainly be expanded upon further.

oscar

Arcane
Name sounds like a EUIV dlc music pack + cashing in on A Song of Ice and Fire buzz but looks promising. I'm surprised no one has taken up the mantle of a spiritual successor to the HoMM series since even a lot of relatively mainstream gamers (and women for some reason..) I've met remember playing a few rounds of II or III as kids or have at least heard of it.

I fucking hate pixel 'art' but at least the combat sprites look very tasteful and charming.

Citizen

I'm surprised no one has taken up the mantle of a spiritual successor to the HoMM

Eador is a worthy successor, but it's Heroes gameplay on mega steroids with much simpler presentation, while this game seems like it's going for the HoMM2 cute visuals/comfy atmosphere/beautiful music feel

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron

I do hope they don't go overboard on the post processing effects, or at least make sure they're not baked in so they can be turned off.

It's okay to have a hateboner. Having it to such an irrational degree you start cheering on the fracturing of a platform to own the Steamtards is where it gets retadred though.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'm sorry but this game looks nothing like Homm2. It's typical modern pixel-cancer-"art" with some rpgmaker thrown into the mix. And I... Don't really blame it for it. Homm2 is probably the best looking game ever and replicating its amazing style would take an exceptional talent. Or maybe some krokodil-fuelled Russian modders :wink wink:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom