Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I would guess that the events of Descent end up having some indirect effect on other planes and powers and that somehow enables Illithids to bounce back and attempt to re-establish the empire.
i doubt its anything directly connected.

Codex Year of the Donut
I wrote a bit about the Avernus module before the announcement [link].

Beamdog's portrayl of Avernus was characterisitically minimalist.

chapter%2B12.jpg
I don't think most people here played SoD(tbh they're missing out) so they don't realize there's an Avernus link already established

Art Vandelay

Prophet

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I would guess that the events of Descent end up having some indirect effect on other planes and powers and that somehow enables Illithids to bounce back and attempt to re-establish the empire.
i doubt its anything directly connected.

Mind Flayers don't really give a shit about other planes. They literally others only as tools, entertainment, or food. And whenever mind flayers come up githyanki, and perhaps even githzerai, are sure to follow. If the plot will be really heavily invested in anything related to illithids, the game will turn into Planescape: Baldur's Gate. Which would be delightful.

But once again: I don't see any posssible connection between Avernus and Illithids.

Talking with stupid....

You noticed there is an invasion of Illithids going on in BG?

f the plot will be really heavily invested in anything related to illithids
It sure will be, in BG3...

In Avernus... i specifically said "i doubt its anything directly connected."

You incredible imbecile.

Parabalus

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

Two scenarios:
The enemy you're attacking is wearing Chain Mail +1 and a shield for an AC adjustment of 3. Which column do you pick from the Armor Class Adjustment?
The enemy you're attacking is a monster with a natural adjustment of AC to 5. Which column do you pick from the Armor Class Adjustment?

Here's the chart you need:
1lM539N.png

Something tells me there is a near complete overlap of people who claim to "like" THAC0 and people whose only experience with it involves computer games.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Nobody actually playing PnP defends THAC0 except for retards with nostalgia goggles. Having an intuitive core mechanic (roll high + modifiers vs DC) > looking up a table or multiple ones to see what you must roll.

This change is the main reason why 3E is praised.

Thal

Prophet
Sometimes I'd also wish that the new game had us take on a pre-chosen class, instead of allowing to choose one freely. Although it DOES sound like heresy, it also does have some benefits:
1. The developers could tailor encounters, especially the earlier ones, around the abilities your class posesses.
2. Under the same logic, party members, their locations, the order in which you meet them etc., could also be planned out with more thought.
3. This is the biggest one. Suppose, for example, that your starting class is always a Warlock. The developers could tend hand-craft a huge number of quests, plot points etc. around that fact, thus making the player, for once, actually feel that the world, and his "life", recognize the path he walks on.

Once again, I understand this is a rather non-orthodox opinion, however, I've seen so many games where you can choose a nonsensical class/race from a story perspective (in Baldur's Gate you can play a 20-year old elf...and he is an adult...yikes), or simply ones where your class has no impact on the story, that such thoughts cross my mind once in a while.

Ever heard of The Witcher, Thief?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Every time Lilura uses the word "authoritative", I get a headache.

Just accept it. I'm the only Baldur's Gate commentator that publishes write-ups based on the original version of Baldur's Gate, as released and patched by BioWare. I'm the only one who has ever written in-depth commentary on this level in the history of the game and engine. Everything that came before is out of date, poorly written and error-filled.

You can trust no other source as they have all been tainted by the EEs (even the wiki). No other retrospective is based on the originals either. In fact, for the 20th anniversary of Baldur's Gate, the "journalists" based their "retrospectives" on the EEs, interviewed Beamdog employees (instead of say, corresponding with the leader writer of BG like I did long before), and barely said anything about BG. Instead, they talked mostly about BG2 of which it was not the anniversary. lol

So yes, my commentary for Baldur's Gate is as authoritative as it gets these days. More authoritative than PC Gamer and other mainstream newsites. Larian would avoid me like the plague because ERUDITION.

150 write-ups, son. 150 write-ups. At one point, it was 15 write-ups in 1 week. My readers could barely keep up. One of those write-ups is now THE Baldur's Gate write-up on the internet, and it was written in one sitting, over 2 hours, and mostly from memory. There are people on public venues that say my blog is like the BG Bible.

If all this causes you butthurt and headaches, I'm glad. And that goes for any other shitposter as well. You can't fight me on this, so just roll with it. I'll always self-cite because there are no sources I trust above my own, because I play the originals, and because I'm the most prolific and the most in-depth and thorough to the point of each write-up being appended with 20 footnotes that cite NUMBAZ and STATS.

Deal with it, son.

Mortmal

Arcane
Got a warning on steam forums for speaking my mind ! You can easily find the post. First time it happen to me and you know i am not the most violent neo nazi around here... That's it !Bye larian , i am shilling for outer world now, i am shilling so much even infinitron will say too far man !

Curratum

Just accept it. I'm the only Baldur's Gate commentator that publishes write-ups based on the original version of Baldur's Gate, as released and patched by BioWare. I'm the only one who has ever written in-depth commentary on this level in the history of the game and engine. Everything that came before is out of date, poorly written and error-filled.

You can trust no other source as they have all been tainted by the EEs (even the wiki). No other retrospective is based on the originals either. In fact, for the 20th anniversary of Baldur's Gate, the "journalists" based their "retrospectives" on the EEs, interviewed Beamdog employees (instead of say, corresponding with the leader writer of BG like I did long before), and barely said anything about BG. Instead, they talked mostly about BG2 of which it was not the anniversary. lol

So yes, my commentary for Baldur's Gate is as authoritative as it gets these days. More authoritative than PC Gamer and other mainstream newsites. Larian would avoid me like the plague because ERUDITION.

150 write-ups, son. 150 write-ups. At one point, it was 15 write-ups in 1 week. My readers could barely keep up. One of those write-ups is now THE Baldur's Gate write-up on the internet, and it was written in one sitting, over 2 hours, and mostly from memory. There are people on public venues that say my blog is like the BG Bible.

If all this causes you butthurt and headaches, I'm glad. And that goes for any other shitposter as well. You can't fight me on this, so just roll with it. I'll always self-cite because there are no sources I trust above my own, because I play the originals, and because I'm the most prolific and the most in-depth and thorough to the point of each write-up being appended with 20 footnotes that cite NUMBAZ and STATS.

Deal with it, son.

You're just a hilariously pretentious tranny, is what you are, sonny.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Deal with it, son.
Did the EE change any of the actual mechanics tho? From what i have seen they just added some garbage quests and characters while using some basic mods to make the game more practical and "beautify" it.

The Real Fanboy

Deal with it, son.

Slay queen

Thal

Prophet
You can trust no other source as they have all been tainted by the EEs (even the wiki)
It's true, and a real shame. Gamebanshee seems to be mostly fine for walkthroughs, since they list EE content separately, but on the whole it's hard to find decent material on the original BG1. Also, the suggested "strategies" tend to be really bad.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Deal with it, son.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom