Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Or it's something that's given for more than one game since I clearly remember this was also confusing me last year with many games getting "Best of" badges. :M

Here's Watch Dogs with the same thing from GameSpot:

Mortmal

Arcane
Best OF E3 award ! At least they show gameplay, not like larian, and good gameplay, very good gameplay !

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Or maybe it's just that Cyberpunk 2077 won all the awards last year so they had to go with a different game this time.

That would be retarded, since TV shows wins the same EMMY award every year. Most likely because the product is consistently good, not because of some political agenda. Best product gets the best prize is how it should be.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Speaking of which if someone wants a wholly negative impression

(Though graphics whoring and less in depth than your typical journo has been about the stage demo)

"is shaping up to be a massive disappointment"

Not for Microsoft, Obsidian or the millions which want another iteration of FNV.

We are the only people prone to be disappointed by this shit because we know we will get a second rate RPG.

By the way that video is from someone who loves F76 (basically a Bethesda shill).
Same person?

fextralife

jf8350143

Liturgist
Did you watch that faggot? His main complain is face animation and muh graphics. He doesn't put any other reason why it will be disappointing. It is clear he doesn't know his shit about rpgs. When he said all the fallout games except 76 had a focus on dialogue,including fallout 4,he lost all credibility . That faggot knows about rpgs as much as i about snake breeding.

That's the problem. If he were knowledgeable enough you could discard his opinion as irrelevant to the masses, but most players are that superficial. This is a red flag.

And those superficial players' opinion matters because?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Did you watch that faggot? His main complain is face animation and muh graphics. He doesn't put any other reason why it will be disappointing. It is clear he doesn't know his shit about rpgs. When he said all the fallout games except 76 had a focus on dialogue,including fallout 4,he lost all credibility . That faggot knows about rpgs as much as i about snake breeding.

That's the problem. If he were knowledgeable enough you could discard his opinion as irrelevant to the masses, but most players are that superficial. This is a red flag.
Sure,that is why i am on the codex,his opinion is irrelevant for the codex not for the sheeple. Thus making it pointless to be put in here.:obviously:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter

By the way that video is from someone who loves F76 (basically a Bethesda shill).

Well so much for this guy's opinion. Shows you shouldn't trust anyone on Youtube.

As for The Outer Worlds, I honestly can't give a fuck any more. And I am not saying this to be edgy. (most of the games of the 2010's barely manage to make an emotional impact on me any more as I have become so jaded)
Just another example of how I have been putting too much value on particular game designers/artists that once created something that I hold close and dear (before a bunch of retarded frat boys got their hands on it and ruined it and still get praise for it by mouth breathing imbeciles).

Even if the stupid Epic debacle might not have happened I would probably not have bought this game at the launch. Like others here have pointed out it looks way to much like Borderlands, Rage 2, Bioshock, No Man's Sky, so it is not the looks that really appeal to me.
It would really have to come from the content itself, the storyline, characters and so on and I have so far not heard anything that makes me think "Wow I really want to explore this world, meet the people in it, and discovery its history and secrets." Just another plot about a corporation up to no good and its target this time being a colony on some distant planet.

Well the plot twist could be that the corporation is actually the good guy or just another neutral side in this matter, beneficial to some, oppressive to others. But I doubt it.
I have honestly become a sarcastic asshole.

Deleted Member 22431

Because they are indicative of whether the game will be successful or not.

Sure,that is why i am on the codex,his opinion is irrelevant for the codex not for the sheeple. Thus making it pointless to be put in here.
It's not pointless if you want to know whether the game is going to be successful or not. Unless, of course, the Codex has millions of players willing to buy the game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Sure,that is why i am on the codex,his opinion is irrelevant for the codex not for the sheeple. Thus making it pointless to be put in here.
It's not pointless if you want to know whether the game is going to be successful or not. Unless, of course, the Codex has millions of players willing to buy the game.
Meh,don't care about that shit. All i care is if the game up to codex standards and good.

jf8350143

Liturgist

They are the ones that decides whether the game sells well or not, not successful or not.

Otherwise Planescape: Torment is a shit game, VTMB is a shit game, and Pathfinder Kingmaker and Deadfire combined are not as good as Mass Effect Andromeda.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This game is 10 years too late. All of this, retrofuturistic space frontier thing, has been done to death now by mainly borderlands but also some other games. This one just doesn't seem unique enough to shine in that. Really disappointed in lack of artstyle.

pomenitul

Arbiter
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Uh....

Between the acklay-looking Mantiqueen and the mushroom forest rip from Felucia, I half expected Aayla Secura to jump out from behind a tree and ask if we wanted to go see the New Twisted Rancor Trio.

I'm not much an artfag, but I do expect something unique. Perhaps this subgenre has been over-mined at this point, which personally would be a bit of a gut check.

:|

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This game is 10 years too late. All of this, retrofuturistic space frontier thing, has been done to death now by mainly borderlands but also some other games. This one just doesn't seem unique enough to shine in that. Really disappointed in lack of artstyle.

Your newly found hatred for everything Obsidian-made aside, the game definitely has an artstyle (and not even a bad one at that) but a poorly realized one. As we have all agreed upon - this looks something like New Vegas, and that game wasn't pretty too look at even 10 years ago, let alone nowadays. Realistically looking graphics age badly over time no matter what, but you can pull it off if you're cutting edge at the moment. This game isn't, and Obsidian should have gone for a highly stylized look ala Dishonored. Unfortunately, they seem to be lacking in that department.

P.S. add terrible faces, animations and disgusting use of colors as well

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
It is pretty obvious that the game will be a failure.
MS is gonna use it to push their new Windows Games store and PC game pass.
They're gonna dangle that $1/month pricetag and sink their claws into all these new customers that don't want to wait or use EGS.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People seem so focused on REEing at this game's art direction that they're ignoring potentially interesting design aspects like the disguises mechanic Duraframe posted about two pages ago.

Maybe that's another thing that makes this game like Fallout: New Vegas, which was seen by many as a pathetic Fallout 3 asset flip before its qualities were realized.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
People seem so focused on REEing at this game's art direction that they're ignoring potentially interesting design aspects

That's what modern times have done to people. The games are so blindingly shiny and scratch that uncanny valley itch, that they obfuscate the underlying design and gameplay.

Of course that usually happens to developers too, so it's really a zero sum game.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Your newly found hatred for everything Obsidian-made aside, the game definitely has an artstyle (and not even a bad one at that) but a poorly realized one. As we have all agreed upon - this looks something like New Vegas, and that game wasn't pretty too look at even 10 years ago, let alone nowadays. Realistically looking graphics age badly over time no matter what, but you can pull it off if you're cutting edge at the moment. This game isn't, and Obsidian should have gone for a highly stylized look ala Dishonored. Unfortunately, they seem to be lacking in that department.

P.S. add terrible faces, animations and disgusting use of colors as well

I expected something better than the outdated gamebyro of 2010. I was aware that the graphic fidelity would not be great but there is no coherent artstyle. I do not care about graphic fidelity for the most part.

Alpha protocol looks better than this. VTMB looks better too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Excellent. That'll be the full version of the gameplay demo we've seen in these Boyarsky interviews, the one described in the previews I've posted and hopefully without people talking over it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom