Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
PC version of Nier: Automata is still broken though, you need to install SpecialK's fix mod in order to be able to run the game at 1080p.

The un-modified game of Nier: Automata is always stuck at the same internal resolution of 720p, regardless of what options you select in the game options.

If you're planning on pirating it, and thus SpecialK fix won't work for you (he implemented anti-pirate checks in the files that disable the modification if it detects the game is cracked), just PM me and I'll send you the cracked files of his mod. Yes, his mod got cracked by the scene, lul.

EDIT: Or just go yourself to the cs.rin.ru forums and look up the Nier: Automata thread yourself and get the cracked version of his SpecialK files.

Really? I never noticed that. I set it to 1600*900 and it looked fine to me.

hexer

I played the game on notebook with GTX 1060, all settings maxed at 1920x1080 and didn't have any problems except for the mouse cursor popping up after loading the game.
30 FPS cutscenes didn't bother me that much and I never noticed anything suddenly popping up like it did for that bro in the video.

However, the game did stutter sometimes when I'd install it on a regular HD.
Moving it to SSD fixed that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I played the original Nier when it came out and I gotta say it almost single handedly saved me of feeling like I wasted money on a PS3 (Demon Souls helped too). Really loved the Ghibli style onirical fantasy gone wrong that the game had and the lore/story/atmosphere. I haven't read anything about automata tbh, I almost forgot the game was made.
As somebody who loved the first game, do you buy it blindly ?
You lucky son of a bitch, getting to play NieR: Automata for the first time. I envy you!

Falksi

Arcane
Well. What a load of total bollocks.

Actually, let me back up slightly. I did enjoy playthrough A a fair bit. It kinda gave me a 3/5 experience - enjoyable in bits, boring in others, some really great moments.

But fuck me does it go downhill from there.

Route B was bullshit. Playing virtually the same game through again with a novelty hacking game which grows old fast + a few additional cut-scenes bogs it down massively. 9S is a fucking annoying fanny at the best of times, and playing as him really got on my tits. And then Route C gets up it's own arse, whilst boring us with the same shit over & over gameplay wise.

It's just no fun, and horribly paced. It's an awfully structured game, the open world is bland, the opening level by far & away the hardest part of the game which is stupid, and the philisophical side of things is bloated and unsatisfying. None of the reveals are even remotely worth the effort, and I've no idea how it can be hailed as such a "masterpeice" by some.

Overall, i'd probably rate it :3/5: simply because Route A was fun enough & the simplicity of watching 2B's arse whilst blowing up bad guys was Ok for a few hours. But the last 2/3rds of the game are rank.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Actually, let me back up slightly. I did enjoy playthrough A a fair bit. It kinda gave me a 3/5 experience - enjoyable in bits, boring in others, some really great moments.

Route B was bullshit. Playing virtually the same game through again with a novelty hacking game which grows old fast + a few additional cut-scenes bogs it down massively. 9S is a fucking annoying fanny at the best of times, and playing as him really got on my tits. And then Route C gets up it's own arse, whilst boring us with the same shit over & over gameplay wise.

It's just no fun, and horribly paced. It's an awfully structured game, the open world is bland, the opening level by far & away the hardest part of the game which is stupid, and the philisophical side of things is bloated and unsatisfying. None of the reveals are even remotely worth the effort, and I've no idea how it can be hailed as such a "masterpeice" by some.

Overall, i'd probably rate it :3/5: simply because Route A was fun enough & the simplicity of watching 2B's arse whilst blowing up bad guys was Ok for a few hours. But the last 2/3rds of the game are rank.

Did you play route C? It feels like a completely different game. It's worth it to get ending C and E.

Falksi

Arcane

Did you play route C? It feels like a completely different game. It's worth it to get ending C and E.

Yep. Total let down for me mate. It all went downhill from the end of route A. C was better than B, but the reveals & plot were just so unsatisfying and, well, "meh"

I thrived on the original Nier too. Compared to that the reveals & endings were flakey as fuck IMO

hexer

I can't speak for everybody, but when I don't care for any characters or the story, nothing else can make me like the game.
For example, I have almost identical opinion about Witcher 3 as Falksi has on Nier Automata.
Anyways, there are plenty of different games out there for everyone!

Falksi

Arcane
I can't speak for everybody, but when I don't care for any characters or the story, nothing else can make me like the game.
For example, I have almost identical opinion about Witcher 3 as Falksi has on Nier Automata.
Anyways, there are plenty of different games out there for everyone!

I too have a very similar opinion about TW3 as Nier Automata too :)

They used all the best chracters in TW2. TW3's characters are largely lifeless by comparison.

hexer

PlatinumGames celebrates NieR:Automata sales exceeding 4 million!

https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/10157

V0UvCtC.jpg

G4d9G1z.jpg

xWBXhLx.jpg

zvOVwxD.jpg

prAtk5n.jpg

hexer

I heard but can't confirm it that GotY owners can opt in for a beta patch build :hahano:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yes, PC version of N:Automata doesn't actually change the render buffer (or whatever) when you change the resolution, it simply uses some weird scaling that doesn't touch menus and doesn't look as good as real resolution changing.

The SpecialK thing fixes that, and the difference is obvious when u use it, and/or compare side-by-side.

hexer

Her name is Emi Evans, check out her other work :)

Speaking of work, Nier's soundtrack is definitively one of the craziest efforts gaming industry has seen.
Almost all songs have 3 versions: quiet, medium and dynamic.
Then each of these has a version with and without vocals.
Also every non-vocal version has an 8-bit version.
And lastly, there are looooooots of alternate song edits, some of them used in the game, some of them not.
There are even alternate versions of most vocal songs being sung either by Emi Evans or J'Nique Nicole.

IMO, Nier Automata OST has over 10h of music.
It's an understatement to say people have high expectations for Nier 3 OST :lol:
Godspeed to Keiichi Okabe and other musicians :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom