Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Songs of Conquest - HOMM2-inspired turn-based strategy adventure game - now on Early Access - coming May 20th

FeelTheRads

Arcane
fracturing of a platform
You are a cretin.

What platform is fractured here?
You talk like a true Steamtard, equating Steam with the PC. Just like above where you said that Epic is fracturing the market. Fucking lol.
If the games released on Epic are PC games there's no market fracturing, cretin. Epic doesn't prevent you from using your PC.
It does prevent you from using your favorite client through which you can directly suck Gaben's cock, though. At least for some games. And you can't have that. Must suck Gaben's cock at all time.
And what's fracturing is Steam's monopoly. Because technically Steam control the market. But Steamtards can't admit that. So instead in their little imbecilic minds they made it so Steam=PC so somehow anything not Steam means the PC is threatened.

But yeah, it's me with the irrational hate boner. Definitely not the ones popping up everywhere with their Epic hate because they offend master Gaben and threaten the sovereignty of Steam.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I'm sorry but this game looks nothing like Homm2. It's typical modern pixel-cancer-"art" with some rpgmaker thrown into the mix. And I... Don't really blame it for it. Homm2 is probably the best looking game ever and replicating its amazing style would take an exceptional talent. Or maybe some krokodil-fuelled Russian modders :wink wink:

Unlike modern pixel-cancer-"art" these sprites have actual effort put into them, though? It's no HoMM2, but it's above and beyond most pixelshit indies releasing these days. Like I mentioned before, the only red flags to me are the post processing effects.

newtmonkey

Arcane
The artwork has some actual effort indeed, but the mix of low res art with post processing makes it look bizarre, sort of like Octopath Traveler.

I honestly don't see the point of doing low res 2d artwork unless you are trying to do some weird kind of throwback conceptual thing (or maybe drawing 2D art for a... uh... 3DS? I think that's the only low res thing even out there nowadays).

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

Thank god it zooms out, that beginning looks dumb and forced. Pixel art is fine and can be amazing if it fits (and thus leaving work-power™ for muh development). That shit looked forced, and dumb.
like Octopath Traveler
exactly

I've got no more of a hateboner for Steam than you have for Epic.
Just like you don't buy from Epic I don't buy from Steam. The difference is I don't buy from Epic either. Which means I have two hateboners. Which means you only have one dick while I have two. Chew on that.
:shredder:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
AMA: https://old.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/cvkqxn/songs_of_conquest_a_classic_adventure_strategy/

Of course there was an epic question and non-answer as you expected:

Nah, we're just tired of answering the same question over and over again :) esp. when we don't really have an answer. So, I guess, we all just skipped this one b/c of that, at least I felt uninspired to answer this again and then I forgot it :P But I agree, it does seem odd that we didn't answer! Even though I think we answered a similar question. So here's my answer:

Will you be doing any deals with EPIC?
We don't know. We haven't been approached by them, or any other platforms, and we haven't approached them, or any other platforms.

If yes, can we have early heads up?
Yes! You'll also get a heads up if we do any other deals with other platforms.

Also development interview: https://80.lv/articles/mixing-2d-billboards-and-3d-environments-in-a-game/

Mixing 2D Billboards and 3D Environments in a Game

Lavapotion team talked about the development of their adventure strategy game Song of Conquest with a classic feel of Heroes of Might and Magic.

Introduction
Magnus, CEO: We are a small studio based in Gothenburg, Sweden. As a team, Song of Conquest is our first game, but most of our team members are seasoned game developers who have worked on a wide range of games. We are pretty passionate about strategy games, board games, roleplaying games and fantasy in general. It’s a bit of a cliche to say it, but we are really trying to make a game that we’d love to play ourselves!

Song of Conquest: Idea of the Game
Carl, Game Designer: We felt like there weren’t any new games being released like what we used to play when we were younger. Games that combined adventure and strategy in a more available way and games like Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3 or Kings Bounty.

Those games are absolutely a big inspiration, but we like to see it more like a love letter than anything else. We’re also very inspired by many board games and more modern strategy games like Memoir 44, Twilight imperium, Dominion, Total war, Civ and many, many more.

The songs of conquest are the stories being told in and around the time of the game. Songs have always been a way of telling stories and enticing emotions, and we really like the idea of troubadours in taverns singing the stories of what the player has done. It started when we were working on the song that’s in the teaser trailer and we really liked the idea of having songs that will be about different parts of the game. The songs will be another layer of the campaign, another way of living and reliving that story.

Concept Art:

Art Style
Anders, Art Director: It has, perhaps not surprisingly, been a long process of getting to where we are today. We started with a more classic pixel approach which was very true to the restraints of pixel art. It was our stakeholders and investors, Coffee Stain Studios, who suggested that we should try a more modern and perhaps bold perspective on the game graphics. We started to experiment with a “2.5D” look and we immediately felt it was the right way to go. Using modern shaders in a fairly subtle way along with pixel art works really well to create a deep and immersive atmosphere. All of our pixel art is created with Aseprite, except tiles which are made in PyxelEdit.

Game Development & Technical Challenges
Patrik, Technical artist: The biggest technical challenge of our art style is the fact that people expect simpler looking graphics to be, well… simpler on the hardware. This is not always the case, and especially not for us.

First off, our game is rendered in 3D. This is done by mixing 3D elements, such as the ground and cliffs, with 2D elements such as trees, buildings, and characters. This is all created semi-procedurally by generating 3D-meshes in a chunk structure by a system we named Cartography.

The simpler of these are the 2D elements, often called billboards. The main challenge here was that we wanted to have tens of thousands of them on the screen, and most of them animated. To pull this off we had to do three things. The obvious first one was to create well-packed atlases to limit our draw calls. It was quite convenient to let each faction have their own, as well as a couple of supporting ones. The second thing was getting them animated at a very low cost. For things like trees and grass, we ended up using a shader approach were we set up our atlases so that we could scroll over them. By doing this in steps we create the appearance of animated frames. The drawback is that every animated item in the environment has to have 8 frames, and the exact same framerate.

Arleon’s unfinished biome atlas showing trees and grass with an eight frame horizontal animation.

The last thing we had to solve was the actual billboarding itself. Traditionally, each billboard gets its own draw call as it’s rotated towards the camera. As this was not an option for us, we developed a technique involving a custom shader that would approximate a rotation by baking the information we need (such as an object’s origo position) into the generated 3D models.

That pretty much sums up the 2D-billboard side of things. Next was the 3D environments.

We opted for generating the environment meshes in code by using a technique called marching squares. We then use UV projection to calculate our UV maps and bake splat mapping information into the color channels of the mesh.

The result of the splat mapping looks kinda crazy, but when used with a shader and texture array we get a very nice and fluid result with very little texture input.

The actual textures used are small and few. 128x128px and around 16 textures per faction. The transitions between the different materials such as grass, dirt, cliff, seabed are handled by the splat mapping using the textures alpha channels as input (which enables us to add some nice noise).

The last little piece of the puzzle was the lighting. We wanted some pretty advanced looking lighting and a lot of it. This in itself could be a whole article, but to sum things up we opted for a real-time lightmap applied by our shaders using a top-down projection.

A lightmap showing mostly cloud shadows, but also a few scattered light sources.

The lightmap itself is made up by special lighting sprites and rendered by a separate camera. We also add some nice cloud shadows as our lightmap supports both light and darkness (as well as color).

The rendering process is also relying on a couple of post-processing effects. Amongst them are bloom, vignetting and color grading, along with some depth of field for making zoom-ins look cool. It’s actually mostly the color grading, together with light and ambient settings that make up the day/night effect of our game.

All this comes together to create the games esthetics and we’re very happy with the result!

Game Mechanics
Niklas, Lead Programmer: We have two different sets of core mechanics. One set for adventure and one for battle, with joint mechanics to bridge the two.

In adventure mode, you build your town with a specific build order of your choosing as well as controlling the wielders that you use for exploration, picking up stuff and engage in battle. All whilst keeping your economy in check.

In battle, you have a set order on who begins their turn first based on the initiative on a much more confined battlefield.

Here is also where our magic system called “The Essence” plays it’s biggest part. The spells you have when entering the battle is based on the type of troop you brought with you. If you lose those troops, you will also instantly lose the spell that it helped create. So it’s not always the best idea to bring the strongest units into battle.

Technically, the biggest challenge in developing the core mechanics so far has probably been the system to modify statistics on troops and wielders.

In order to create a flexible system, we needed something that could basically change anything from anywhere (with a few restrictions). E.g. let’s say your wielder has boots that give all troops +2 initiative for the first two rounds in the battle. At the same time, another wielder (not in battle) has a helmet that gives strength to all units – regardless of owning wielder. All that has to be accounted for in the current battle and can change dynamically at any point.

To solve this, we created something we call the bacteria system. You attach it to something and it spreads and propagates wherever it wants with help of acyclic graphs. But a couple of rewrites was needed to get where we are, for sure.

We work hard on writing and unit testing most of our code, especially the raw mechanic data and function. It has given us so much freedom when we realized that we have to rewrite or change something. We could just keep the tests since they outline what we want the result to be and just make them pass again, but with the new system.

Distribution
Magnus, CEO: We haven’t set the release date yet, but currently aiming at late 2020 to give us plenty of time to make the game just perfect. If you want to try the game earlier we suggest you sign up for the Alpha at www.songsofconquest.com. We are targeting PC and Mac for the first release, but we are developing the game with Unity so it is not a far stretch to assume that we will release the game for more platforms later on.

Lavapotion Team
Interview conducted by Daria Loginova

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
SoC-town-spell-1.jpg
wow they really fucked up that trailer lol

Lagi

Savant
Looks good, with this zoom out. Visuals color me interested. The gif with mine that provide gold doesn't bode well, looks unfinished. I dont expect a refined gameplay mechanic.

Lagi

Savant
7pj3fqZ.png

Looks like there would be 5 resources: wood, stone, "white one" (silk?mushroom?), ore (that look like copper), crystal (violet) + GOLD (money)
in some screens you can see that you can build quarry/lumber-mill - that's bad, because there would be no incentive to fight for this resources on map. Even worse, would be no fights to control objective points on map. Unless stone&wood you produce in base, other 3, need to be control on map.
I presume most important would be GOLD, like in heroes, and player would be just sometimes limited with what building he can construct because lack of particular resources.

you will have heroes called Wielders, so armies would have to move with commander. Which I think is good, because reduce amount of micro managment like in AoW or in Heroes4, when you was moving single unit.

wielder (heros) have 3 stats: attack, defense, "+" (essence-mana? magic power? magic resistance?). There is exp bar, exp level visible on main UI bar, so expect lots of grinding.

there is 9 hex in the center. Looks like slots for troops. VERY interesting is that 4 top are "locked". That very good mechanic, because it allow exist commander who are better with commanding big armies. Additinal very sensible field for hero skill expanse, that is not "you are +X% better with yellow spells".

8 slots for items on right

-------------------------
my opinion: this would be copy-paste of Heroes. Devs are very good artist, that have excellent eye for visual details. And are experience, because they pixels looks fantastic, if its zoom-out you cannot even tell its pixel art. All would look crispy. But gameplay wise this would feel like plagiarism. They would implement here and there few own ideas, but in general they would be scary to make something of its own ("to not damage the game! because people will not buy it").

So you're saying it's more like AOW and less like HOMMO? :incline:
AoW1 has excellent city management mechanism. That is simple and you can focus on conquering the map. There is no multiple resources that are meaningless. You not building fancy buildings to unlock troops, just directly install what you want.
- Song of conquest would have heros like city building and resources.

Aow1 has fragmented army logistic. You dont need commander to move armies out of town.
-song will need Wielders to move troops

Aow has less loot scatter on ground, less random monster guarding treasures.
- not sure, maybe here Song is similar.

Cannot compare combats, because there is non presented in songs yet.

Looks more like Homm. But mechanic would be more unfinished with lots of exploits and useless bloat like in AoW :)

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
there is 9 hex in the center. Looks like slots for troops. VERY interesting is that 4 top are "locked". That very good mechanic, because it allow exist commander who are better with commanding big armies. Additinal very sensible field for hero skill expanse, that is not "you are +X% better with yellow spells".

Looks great, I always thought that more stacks in the late game would be a perfect addition to Heroes. Having more stacks than unit types your faction can natively produce makes mixing units from different factions in the late game much more vital, and that is a always a lot of fun. Also it nerfs 1 peasant stack cheese in the beginning of the game, while still keeping it around in a small scale.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Judging by the "moder pixel art" aesthetics and severe lack of shedding light on gameplay I would be really surprised if this game has any sort of depth and interesting mechanics. I like the fact that someone is having a go at an actual homm-like (since most games considered homm-likes aren't homm-like at all), but it feels hard to be optimistic about the final result.

Lagi

Savant
Wishlist, theorizing, day-dreaming, out of topic :]

Interesting twist to HeroesMM formula, would be to remove the Gold.
each unit/buildings you want to make, would be pay with resources.

f.ex. you want first infantry unit: you pay 10 stone for Blacksmith structure that allow training Spearman in town. Then for each Spearman unit you would pay 1 wood (for shield) and 1 ore (for helmet and spearhead).

fluff: Money are abstract frippery that ruler use to receive services from his slaves lieges. player should be the one who is paying everybody with debasement coins, not the other way around. As we know government can just print money, so fiscal policy we could remove from equation for simpler game mechanic. Similar like with food - we can assume than kingdom figure out how to gain access to edibles to not starve to death. So this aspect is omit.

multiple resources dictate units and buildings use, based on maps and availability of particular supply types.
f.ex You start in area where is no Crystal? No Emerald Witches for you. Expand to find needed income for your strategy, or you need to adopt for what you have, and build siege engines from Wood.

base on the knowledge whom your opponent is, or what structure he already build. You can plan your offensive to cut the enemy supplies, to prevent him from building more Invisible Reptiles, that giving you hard time.

------------------------------Autism--Over--Power----------
the resources could be whatever. You can even collect Red,Yellow,Blue,Green gem - and call it a basic measures for survival (Dominion).
Although interesting would be if each resources application and occurrence would not be random.

Assume the map is divided on Surface and Underground (quite standard).

Wood - this stuff grow everywhere on Surface. You can harvest some roots or fungal, if your kingdom see no sun. Just slam lumber-mill and you ready to go. Hey forest clearing overtime is not only a map decoration?! Maybe the spell, hero skill or other buildings can help to plant some more. If not, you can always conquer another city, you possessive industrialist.

Stone - is everywhere and unlimited, take time to gain necessary amount, boring stuff really. Plus its only useful for structures. Take lots of place so your Ent Grove, would have to be done in another castle.

Ore - is easier accessible Underground, but opencast mines can also provide some metal. Dwarfs never understand why taller humanoids fight for this single mine on surface. Same as wood, looks unlimited at start, just the rocks dont grow back (ok the surface mines are unlimited). Instead you can research technology to make use of another mineral.

Crystal - rare underground. Needed to appeal to females. You want dragon army? better give He-dragon some jewelry so he can convince She-dragon to hatch some eggs.

Herbs - spices, magic ingredients, flowers, other bio luxuries. Harvest on surface. Make your soup tasty, and allow space travels.

Crystal/Herbs - are rare map spot objective. Needed in late game, for advance & epic creatures. But usually players relay on the limited loot taken by force from foreign civilian merchants Monsters!

Lagi

Savant
This blog have lots of nice pictures.

they spending time to redraw existing units again, that are already very good. Think about it, each of this dudes need multiple animation frames. Not sure if they have dedicated artist to just do that all days (and if he complete already other tasks). And they cannot keep developing this game for years, the team will eventually split, because they need income.

Serious thing now, but what is this white resource - thread spool ?

7pj3fqZ.png

Looks like there would be 5 resources: wood, stone, "white one" (silk?mushroom?), ore (that look like copper), crystal (violet) + GOLD (money)
in some screens you can see that you can build quarry/lumber-mill - that's bad, because there would be no incentive to fight for this resources on map. Even worse, would be no fights to control objective points on map. Unless stone&wood you produce in base, other 3, need to be control on map.
I presume most important would be GOLD, like in heroes, and player would be just sometimes limited with what building he can construct because lack of particular resources.

you will have heroes called Wielders, so armies would have to move with commander. Which I think is good, because reduce amount of micro managment like in AoW or in Heroes4, when you was moving single unit.

wielder (heros) have 3 stats: attack, defense, "+" (essence-mana? magic power? magic resistance?). There is exp bar, exp level visible on main UI bar, so expect lots of grinding.

8 slots for items on right

-------------------------
my opinion: this would be copy-paste of Heroes. Devs are very good artist, that have excellent eye for visual details. And are experience, because they pixels looks fantastic, if its zoom-out you cannot even tell its pixel art. All would look crispy. But gameplay wise this would feel like plagiarism. They would implement here and there few own ideas, but in general they would be scary to make something of its own ("to not damage the game! because people will not buy it").

So you're saying it's more like AOW and less like HOMMO? :incline:
AoW1 has excellent city management mechanism. That is simple and you can focus on conquering the map. There is no multiple resources that are meaningless. You not building fancy buildings to unlock troops, just directly install what you want.
- Song of conquest would have heros like city building and resources.

Aow1 has fragmented army logistic. You dont need commander to move armies out of town.
-song will need Wielders to move troops

Aow has less loot scatter on ground, less random monster guarding treasures.
- not sure, maybe here Song is similar.

Cannot compare combats, because there is non presented in songs yet.

Looks more like Homm. But mechanic would be more unfinished with lots of exploits and useless bloat like in AoW :)

Well, given the HoM&M inspiration I'd guess the white looking stuff is Mercury, maybe it's Sulfate or some magic thing, but I'd guess if it's not Mercury it still fills the role of Mercury in Heroes.

I'm not exactly sure how you get that building a mine (or something like it) means there'd be no point in fighting for points on the map. That's a pretty standard RTS thing, and you're still fighting for resources there. Although I haven't seen the thing you're talking about that shows you build mine either.

Lagi

Savant
Well, given the HoM&M inspiration I'd guess the white looking stuff is Mercury, maybe it's Sulfate or some magic thing, but I'd guess if it's not Mercury it still fills the role of Mercury in Heroes.

I'm not exactly sure how you get that building a mine (or something like it) means there'd be no point in fighting for points on the map. That's a pretty standard RTS thing, and you're still fighting for resources there. Although I haven't seen the thing you're talking about that shows you build mine either.

I just wish to now the name of this resource.

https://songsofconquest.gamepedia.com/Arleon
2x icon buildings on the right

Interesting. So it seems your town produces building sites on the map, and then you use those to build whatever instead of how Heroes of Might and Magic works with the Town Screen. If you aren't putting the quarry and lumber mill on direct resource spots like a RTS, I'm wondering if that'll work like a Civilization game. I think the town building in Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence may have worked something like that. I'm guessing this means you'll be placing towns yourself too, unlike in the Heroes games.

One of the development blogs showed an additional building for the Arleon that isn't in that link: A farm.

the+humble+farm.png

They don't bring it up in their inspirations like they do Heroes and Total War, but it makes me wonder if they've happened upon something somewhat similar to Lords of the Realm 2 for their take on a Heroes of Might and Magic game. They joke about them being good for taxing and raiding in the blog, which could just be a joke, but maybe taxing your people (and just have people beyond soldiers) will figure into the game.

Still wondering about the combat in this. They've said it's turn-based, but them name dropping Total War makes me wonder if it may also be something like Langrisser or Dragon Force when units enter combat. Some kind of thing where your units will show up in combat anyways. I can't really think of what a Total War influence on a Heroes style game would be other than some change up to the normal Heroes combat. I don't know, maybe it'll be as simple as terrain having an effect, which the Heroes games mostly weirdly forgoed.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://www.lavapotion.com/blog/202...IsvDsjRwy703q_FtcE-5sBhi6sYf-5a8ZX5Vzmd8aheHk

The team is back in action! After the slow summer days and vacation it feels great to be working on the game once again.

I’ve recently focused a lot on various administrative tasks (you know, the stuff that nobody wants to do but really needs to be done every now and then). But I’ve also planned our coming graphics production pipeline along with Anders. He is now currently hard at work finalizing the full troop lineup for Barony of Loth. And oh, in case you missed it: We are looking for a senior environment pixel artist who can join us full time and help us flesh out the world even more. Please send us an email or shoot us a DM on Twitter if you want to apply!
SoC-ArlelonTroopMilitia_200821.png

The militia are the most common of Arleon unit types. Simple farmers armed with crossbows. Only effective in large numbers, so bring a lot of them to the battlefield.

Our freelance artists have been producing heaps of material during the summer. We now have the majority of all faction buildings ready for implementation. Concept art wise we are also in a good spot, where almost all of the pickups and buildings have been visualized. The sound design is also coming along nicely and our audio artist (and I use the word “artist” in it’s true sense!) is grinding, creaking and ka-powing his way forward. Just take a look at the video below :)

Konstantin, our sound artist is currently searching for the sound of the essence. May the force be with him! (Mind the volume!)

Patrik is making the AI more capable of building interesting and useful towns and settlements. Troop recruitment is another area he’s been looking at for the AI, in order to ensure that the AI understands the essence system and how to build a capable army. Being able to fight against the AI is a huge leap forward in terms of playability.

Niklas has gotten all the battle spells to work as they should. We now have 35 spells in total - and lately Niklas has been working on spells that summon objects (barriers, poison clouds, mines). He is currently revising the development plan for the coming months. Something he does every now and then so we can make sure we are progressing and prioritizing as intended.

Various+buildings.png

Felix is continuing to explore and visualize the world of Songs of Conquest. Pictured above you’ll see a variety of new buildings.

David's focus has mostly revolved around tooltips for the Adventure HUD and also completing the research features. The spellbook has received a handy quickbar which is shown as an overlay in battle. Speaking of battle, Carl has designed more battle maps to create more variety and surprise our players a bit. He has also written more copy for the campaigns along with our excellent freelance writer Kim.
image-asset.gif

David is making sure that research not only works, but also that the user can see that it works. Makes total sense to me.

Finally, we will now try to get back on the one blogpost per two week schedule again. If you want to read about something specific in the future, don’t hesitate to leave a comment.

Stay safe!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom