Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

laclongquan

Arcane
So, I started over in BG2, so I could use the actual companions and I can’t get past the starting dungeon, because resting is impossible, I get ambushed no matter what. I can’t recover spells.

It is the feature that make us realize how resting is OP and free rest is like god mode.

Honestly, it's the battlefield that take me 15 hours to get through (2 hours daily and one week). I use all the tactics I can think of, and avoid battles when I can.

SCS laugh at the face of so-called tactic veterans and bat us on the noggin with a spiked club with that Irenicus dungeon.

trimethylsilyl

Educated
I'm going to import my kensai half-orc into BG2. It's been a while since I played through BG1 with it, but I remember that it was quite one-dimensional, and BG2 will most likely get boring with that class. Is there any good way to respec into something completely different (fighter cleric) so that I can import my buffed stats and the unique items?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Is there any good way to respec into something completely different (fighter cleric) so that I can import my buffed stats and the unique items?
I don't know about the respec part, but when it comes to BG1 items, you don't keep them in BG2 anyway.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm going to import my kensai half-orc into BG2. It's been a while since I played through BG1 with it, but I remember that it was quite one-dimensional, and BG2 will most likely get boring with that class. Is there any good way to respec into something completely different (fighter cleric) so that I can import my buffed stats and the unique items?
You can use Shadowkeeper (or EEKeeper if you are into that sort of thing) to edit your characters however you want.

Xeon

Augur
If you change your class, wouldn't that mess up your character? For example a Berserker get rage every few levels or something, if you respec to a Kensai who needs a Sai or something ability, will that not mess up the character?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, I haven't changed my class using this, but you can make a new character and just change their attributes to match whatever you want. You can also give yourself whatever items you want, but there are very few that actually transfer over.

Cael

Arcane
If you change your class, wouldn't that mess up your character? For example a Berserker get rage every few levels or something, if you respec to a Kensai who needs a Sai or something ability, will that not mess up the character?
In one of the Keepers, you can delete and add kit abilities and you get to specify the level you want abilities added to. Very nifty programme.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
How come Abazigal is much easier than his son Draconis?
Because in vanilla, all dragons are basically big fat mages, and Draconis breaks the mold with a more refined script setup and more interesting phases to his fight, whereas Abby is your typical dragon tank'n'spank. Without fixpacks (or the Enhanced Edition), vanilla BG2 Abazigal isn't even immune to the death effect (as all the dragons are supposed to be), so you can kill him by accident with a dual-wielding Korgan's Axe of the Unyielding or some other vorpal weapon.

SCS/Ascension adds more nuance and additional enemies to the Abazigal fight (most notably forcing you to tackle a second dragon).

I believe dragon's are still subject to death effects with SCS and Ascension. I've petrified The Shadow Dragon, slain Firkraag with Finger of Death, and vorpal'ed the green dragon in Watcher's Keep. The vorpal death was hilarious actually. I had just upgraded the Axe of the Unyielding, buffed up for the fight, and then Korgan vorpals the dragon on his very first swing. It was the only attack made in the fight. Absolutely glorious.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Are there any mods that add more (albeit decent) encounters to both BG/BG2?

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Am I able to make 2 copies of Baldur’s Gate 2, and mod both copies differently?

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Thanks agris, how would I go about doing that?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Definitely doable with the original. EE however creates extra folders @MyDocuments which contain the game options, saves and portraits. So, that might be a little annoyance.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Definitely doable with the original. EE however creates extra folders @MyDocuments which contain the game options, saves and portraits. So, that might be a little annoyance.
I’m using the originals, I just need to know how to make a copy and use the copied folder, which I don’t know how to do.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Thanks agris, how would I go about doing that?
Man - good luck. But I gotta say, you and other posters who seem to post first and go looking for answers to their questions later, I just can’t stomach it.

Yes, you can achieve your goals - with EE versions or not. It will require you to work to understand how modding works, how batch files work, how Windows works - it will require work on your part. Not reading my 1 - 17 step process.

Good luck, and fuck off. :salute:

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

I’m using the originals, I just need to know how to make a copy and use the copied folder, which I don’t know how to do.

Best use the GoG version, install it, copy and paste the game somewhere else, and change those lines in the baldur.ini accordingly (new path to the game).

example first copy in D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy\baldur.ini
HD0:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy
CD1:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy\data\
CD2:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy\data\
CD3:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy\data\
CD4:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy\data\
CD5:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy\data\
CD6:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy\data

example for 2nd copy D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy 2nd\baldur.ini
HD0:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy 2nd
CD1:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy 2nd\data\
CD2:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy 2nd\data\
CD3:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy 2nd\data\
CD4:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy 2nd\data\
CD5:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy 2nd\data\
CD6:=D:\games\Baldur's Gate Trilogy 2nd\data

This should be all, afaik.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Two installations.
When installing and playing the second install rename the folders (switch names), due to Registery.
Should work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom