Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I used to have three of four simultaneous installations with different mods and I don't remember editing shit. I'm pretty sure copying and pasting was all that was needed.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Thanks agris, how would I go about doing that?

Ok, I feel a bit bad about this. I'll give you the outline of how I would do it, you'll have to look up details yourself.

Start with a fresh vanilla install of any IE game, run it and make a save. Now, copy all the files that mods change (override, dialog, etc). Install each group of mods onto a fresh copy of those game files, renaming them to something recognizable (dialog_MOD1.tlk, override_MOD1) etc.

Once you've got however many mod installs setup you want, create a batch file per mod setup that dynamically creates directory junctions / symlinks tricking windows into thinking override_MOD1 is override, etc. That way no C&P is needed, you create a shortcut for each mod install setups and it just works.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I got mod called IWDification and it adds a bunch of IWD spells and I’ve tested some out, there pretty cool. If anyone has tried this mod, is it overpowered in BG2?

(I did not change BG2 spells to their IWD counter part which the mod asks you to do, so the vanilla spells are left alone.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
If anyone has tried this mod, is it overpowered in BG2?
Likely not as overpowered as many other features (including ones in the vanilla game), and you can simply self-curate your playthrough. I believe parts of this mod are introduced into the new SCS, mainly the new spells, because Clerics and Druids in particular find the one spell that protects against Breach and Remove Magic to be useful in the grand game of mage chess; otherwise I don't see why a few spells should be a big deal beyond diversifying your playthrough, so if you're concerned about balance, just add some difficulty enhancers on top of it. Or play an oddball class. Or no-reload. Either way, I wouldn't worry.

Strantar

Novice
If anyone has tried this mod, is it overpowered in BG2?
Likely not as overpowered as many other features (including ones in the vanilla game), and you can simply self-curate your playthrough. I believe parts of this mod are introduced into the new SCS, mainly the new spells, because Clerics and Druids in particular find the one spell that protects against Breach and Remove Magic to be useful in the grand game of mage chess; otherwise I don't see why a few spells should be a big deal beyond diversifying your playthrough, so if you're concerned about balance, just add some difficulty enhancers on top of it. Or play an oddball class. Or no-reload. Either way, I wouldn't worry.
IWD spells are available in two ways -1) The IWDification mod 2) SCS components for clerics and mages. They are not compatible. If you use SCS then also use the IWD spells from SCS if you want them, otherwise you get errors.
If you use the IWD from SCS then those spells are also used by that mod's other components, e.g. enemies can use them against you as well if you use those smarter xxxx components in SCS.

Thal

Augur
Absolutely correct, except with one regard. BG 1 challenge level is set for newbies on their first playthrough, playing unoptimized charnames and who don't know where the goodies and best party members lie. Most of the enemies are first level monsters who differ primarily in appearance with the odd spawn of Hobgoblin elites with poisoned arrows (who are absolutely deadly to newbies), etc. For these people, the experience is drastically different, since wilderness areas work as intended, they drain resources and resting is dangerous. You aren't fighting the party of gnolls, you are fighting the map, which is exactly how it should be. For a newbie with a level 1-2 party, the trek to Gnoll stronghold and back is a serious challenge, the same with Nashkel mines.

Once you know how to game it though, it's just trash mobs. For this reason, I believe BG 1 isn't that highly regarded anymore. Durlag's tower is possibly the only adventure in the game that is balanced for experts. It even has respawning dangerous enemies to enforce scarcity. In any case, SCS is a necessity, but even that one doesn't go far enough. They should redesign the whole game now, instead of just the chosen set pieces, in order to preserve the original intent of the wilderness areas. Thieves, who use invisibility potions, mages,, druids with call lightning, etc. Suddenly you have to start thinking again, just like with your first playthrough.

As evidenced by the upper quote, I've long time thought that BG1 suffers from low difficulty. There are workarounds for every problem and most enemies tend to be squishy. Mages tend to go down to a backstab and couple of arrows after all. However, recently I realized that BG1 is, in fact, not easy. It is simply designed for Ironman playthroughs. While the Sword Coast is populated by trash mobs, its random encounters, respawning enemies, dangerous status effects and limited inventory space make low level adventuring dangerous. Only Charname's death ends the game, and other party members can usually be raised. If someone gets chunked, there is a host of replacements to choose from, which in facts makes for an interesting emergent gameplay experience. I decided to try how I would fare, with my memory and cursory checking of walkthroughs as a guide.

https://imgur.com/a/8VpRHJi
I decided to roll a gnomish fighter/illusionist specializing in small swords and missile weapons (Slings for the Str bonus). The other option would have been an elven fighter/mage to take advantage of to hit bonus for bows and swords, but I wanted to include Coran and Kivan and equip them with the two enchanted long bows in the game. Shorty saves sealed the deal. Survivability is paramount
https://imgur.com/BwXQWYW
My first goal was Dagger of Venom and Full Plate Mail to ensure that my Charname could actually melee without fear of dying
https://imgur.com/iNxR3DR
Aaaand, it's gone. Revenant killed me with two hits. Almost right away after I got my gear in fact. Let me tell you that for a second I was tempted to reload. It was a Yet Another Stupid Death to boot. I was 2/2 at the time, and had no reason to melee that thing, but was confident I could run away. I started over with the same character, and settled for the initial party of Kagain/Khalid/Jaheira/Kivan/Imoen, and shanking Khalid later for Coran. I dualed Imoen into Enchanter, which I believe is the best mage kit due to -2 saving throw penalty for a number of CC spells. Seriously, that's the reason to pick a mage kit, not the extra spell. You need those spells to pass. As for Enchanter, wands make up for the lost Invocation spells. I also gave her Light Crossbow of Speed and she became valuable party member in normal combat as well.
https://imgur.com/bIPwlaf
This game has some difficult encounters early on. I actually triggered this one by accident and I attempted so save my ass by sending Kagain and Khalid to soak the arrows. Didn't expect them to die like that though. But the enemy archers were equipped with composite long bows and were firing Arrows +1. My Charname was saved by healing potions in the quick slot. A very close call that one. Raising dead party members becomes more expensive every time you buy the service from Temple, mechanic the most are probably unaware of. It's a very good money sink, provided you play the game as intended.
https://imgur.com/rBscsof
Traps here are deadly. While Imoen was on dual downtime. I didn't have anyone to remove traps. I attempted to solve this by Jaheira's detect traps spell and having Kagain walk into them and trigger them. I recalled that the trap was on the corpse and not on ground. My bad.
https://imgur.com/iPZIRLG
And again I was careless! That bolt ended up chunking Kivan, who carried my party early game. I replaced him with Minsc, but he simply is not as good. This was the low moment of my campaign, I knew I had gimped myself for the rest of the game.
https://imgur.com/c2qoZuz
Well, at least the humor in this game is sometimes on spot. I love how the writers just wink at you and suddenly your PC is fluent in thiefspeak and thinks now is the appropriate moment to use it. You also don't get these heist quests if you don't play along and reply in kind.
https://imgur.com/B2G8rXD
Woke before their time, it seems. Seriously though, it sort of shows how much Bioware has changed over the years.
https://imgur.com/unhtEZK
Yep, they definitely were in need of some consulting.
https://imgur.com/50aGGmr
BG1 has this weird dichotomy between silliness and seriousness. While this section could have used some gentle editing, it still manages to create a this harrowing feeling reminiscent of The Thing. Doppelgangers are such wonderful enemies, utilized fully in Chapters 5 and 6 and revisited in Durlag's Tower.
https://imgur.com/bOGI1nk
Speaking of which, these lines carry a real meaning in an Ironman playthrough. Notice how I've protected my Charname from Lighting and Fire just for the tiny chance of something going wrong. Most of the tower I played very cautiously, using invisible Imoen to scout ahead and remove all traps before moving in with the rest of the party. Level two with Greater Doppelgangers casting stinking cloud and cloudkill turned out to be the biggest challenges. I don't have screens of that, since I was so focused on surviving that I forgot to take them.
https://imgur.com/sWpxDOS
This is very interesting way to foreshadow an important plot point and provide information on how to beat a difficult boss. I wish they had developed it further. I don't think most people could fight Aec'Letec blind and come out on top.
https://imgur.com/ZYw0Rpt
Demonknight was a piece of cake. Minsc got the kill but it was Coran backstabbing with the Staff of Striking that won the day. However, notice that Kagain is stunned. I could have easily lost him there, so it's a sort of deceptively easy victory
https://imgur.com/Ts9QHAe
And here's Aec'Letec. I equipped Kagain with Kiel's Helmet and used Durlag's Goblet to heal him fully if necessary. My Charname on the other hand became a veritable death machine after acquiring Sling +3 and firing Bullets +2 from it while being buffed by Draw Upon Holy Might. I have to say that Dagger of Venom was bit of an disappointment. Most enemies were usually dead by the time poison kicked in, and strong foes tended to pass their saves.
https://imgur.com/lw2bbcT
Holy shit that was close! I forgot Web and Stinking Cloud completely, which ended up taking out half of my party. What good are buffs when you are completely immobilized? I also triggered the fight too soon, as I used Imoen to scout the traps, but forgot that Sarevok will address the party members even if they are invisible. I think Angelo had Arrows of Detonation, which ended up doing the most damage. If I had not buffed my party with Resist Fire spells of Jaheira, I would have lost my Charname in a matter of seconds. Fortunately I had planned my loadout accordingly and my Charname had Oils of Speed in a quick slot. I did tank him a bit, but decided to nuke him from the orbit, just to be sure. What way to beat the game!
https://imgur.com/mmWWiD3
And as a comparison, here's difference when the player knows fully what's ahead. I also purposefully killed Sarevok's companions before him, just because I could. Going blind makes a world of difference, you are actually surprised and must revise your tactics on the fly. This is what the game would have been, if I had loaded every time I lost a party member: masturbatory or boring, perhaps both.
https://imgur.com/BxTal7p
And here's also a demonstration on how the game also allows some fantastic strategies and rewards ingenuity. Lighting Bolt is a very underrated spell. Even though it's dangerous to use, Jaheira happens to have 4 level Protection from Lightning spell that will make it a joy to use. There's also Boots of Grounding, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Potions, etc. I'd also point out something that is allowed only by RTwP. You can sometimes dodge lightning bolts, or drink a potion from your quickslot if you were wise enough to prepare your loadout. Turn based wouldn't work like that, you'd simply get hit, but here you have a way out, if you're smart. I like both systems, but imo criticism of RTwP is often too simplistic. There are things it can do right, if designed properly. (Also, PoE seemingly wasn't designed like that, which sort of contributes to its sort of lackluster feeling).
All in all, I had a fantastic experience, and I definitely think I was wrong in my initial assessment. BG1 is fine out of the box. If you have a low opinion of BG1, I'd suggest trying out an Ironman playthrough, before passing final judgement. It forces you to think, puts you into tense positions, but isn't actually that hard if you stay focused. I very much like that you can raise party members, but death still being scary due to possibility of losing them to chunking. All you have to do is to protect your Charname, which imo is very reasonable limitation. Not being able to load changes everything. Suddenly you use consumables before tough fights, and you can't ever play on autopilot if you're two hits away from dying. Interestingly enough, BG2 design on the other hand seems to expect you to load. I haven't played it for a while but there are a lot more things and encounters that can kill you on the spot. Previously I thought it was the better game, but now I'm not so sure. Should play it again too.

Last edited:

Thal

Augur
What difficulty do you play on Thal?
Core rules. I forgot to mention that I did save scum level ups, so it's not a "true" ironman. However, somewhere around chapter 4, I also realized that max HP is not necessary. You might lose an extra party member to chunking, but there are replacements available. To me it's quite telling that max hp on level up doesn't even exist as an option, and isn't a feature of easy difficulty setting. If I'm going to do another playthrough, it's going to be a real ironman. In fact, I'm never going to play BG1 any other way.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just saw this somewhere and thought it'd be interesting for some people(obviously spoilers, it's a fast run of BG2):

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Okay, so I can choose to make BG2 looked zoomed in 800x600 like BG1 if I disable 3D acceleration, however, my game lags like fuck when turning it off. Is there a way i can fix the lag and keep the view because I hate BG2’s Zoomed our view.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I think Tactics adds encounters.
SCS, or is the mod just called “Tactics”?

Don't play Tactics. It's idea of difficulty is bloat and cheese. Stick with SCS--it is far superior in every way.

I always liked Revised Battles. The sewer party encounter from that mod is one of my favorite BG battles (I'm assuming SCS AI contributes to that battle as well but I don't remember). It added/modified a bunch of other encounters as well.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Fucking hell, why can’t BG2 run without 3D Acceleration? Fuck me.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
It can
It lags with spell effects and to many summons.
:dealwithit:
Enable 3D acceleration?
How old of a computer are you playing on?
My computers from 2008.
Here the problem, when you turn on 3D acceleration it makes the sprites and the screen really fucking tiny, so I turn it off and when on 600x800/800x600 it stretches the screen and makes text larger and zoomed in on your characters which is what I want. But a simple spell like the orb of invunerble (minor) it lags the shit out of my game. 3D acceleration gets rid of lag completely but disables scene stretch.:argh::argh::argh:

Codex Year of the Donut
It can
Enable 3D acceleration?
My computers from 2008.
Here the problem, when you turn on 3D acceleration it makes the sprites and the screen really fucking tiny, so I turn it off and when on 600x800/800x600 it stretches the screen and makes text larger and zoomed in on your characters which is what I want. But a simple spell like the orb of invunerble (minor) it lags the shit out of my game. 3D acceleration gets rid of lag completely but disables scene stretch.:argh::argh::argh:
download BG2 EE

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
It can
Enable 3D acceleration?
My computers from 2008.
download BG2 EE
I can’t. My internet is so bad I can’t even download a 30KB file.
Plus enhanced editions stretches the screen even more so absolutely fucking not.

Codex Year of the Donut
It can
Enable 3D acceleration?
My computers from 2008.
download BG2 EE
Plus enhanced editions stretches the screen even more so absolutely fucking not.
Don't they have 4g internet where you live? My ISP was working on its lines for a few weeks last year and I used my phone's 4g as my main internet source no problem

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
It can
Enable 3D acceleration?
My computers from 2008.
download BG2 EE
Don't they have 4g internet where you live? My ISP was working on its lines for a few weeks last year and I used my phone's 4g as my main internet source no problem
See that’s what I don’t understand. A week ago I could connect my LTE to my PC and download stuff decently easy. Now for some reason my PC starting this Saturday connection is so bad even with my phone I can’t download KB files. I don’t understand what happened.

Codex Year of the Donut
It can
Enable 3D acceleration?
My computers from 2008.
download BG2 EE
See that’s what I don’t understand. A week ago I could connect my LTE to my PC and download stuff decently easy. Now for some reason my PC starting this Saturday connection is so bad even with my phone I can’t download KB files. I don’t understand what happened.
Most mobile plans have data caps after which they throttle. I have a very old grandfathered Sprint plan with completely unlimited data so it didn't apply to me.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
The weird thing is, last week even connecting to my internet could allow me to download Megabyte files but not it can’t downlod kilobyte files or barely load a webpage. Everything else in my house seems normal except my laptop.

It’s not my phone is my computer.

Codex Year of the Donut
The weird thing is, last week even connecting to my internet could allow me to download Megabyte files but not it can’t downlod kilobyte files or barely load a webpage. Everything else in my house seems normal except my laptop.

It’s not my phone is my computer.
mobile ISPs will monitor traffic and throttle it when they detect tethering, only real way to get around it is a VPN

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom