Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Reinhardt

Arcane
Valve store is better and has more features so of course they should have bigger cut. It's only fair.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Looks like it's a new trend in Epic exclusivity - Early Access on Epic, final release on Steam
Might just be a rebranding of exclusives as early access, to soften the PR blow. Language manipulation.

I wonder how Epic's liking that their exclusivity has been reduced to early access. Did they even approve that language use by the devs? Maybe someone's getting an earful.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
the issue people have with "steam allowing this" is that they put up a store page, get access to the steam database and other resources and then abandon ship and leave for epic while getting paid by epic, but then still have access to steam dev tools and the database, which effectively lets them build the game using the benefits of steam without ever paying their cut. outer worlds is still being updated on steam.db and they are using it upload/test dev builds, etc.

It'd be like if you owned a retail store and a company had stock in your store room and then tells you they are not going to sell their item in your store but are still going to continue to use your storeroom to store their products. it's absurd.

Jezal_k23

I think Valve should require a commitment that the game will release on Steam as long as it's decided that it will have a Steam page and preorders are being sold. If they are selling preorders on Steam, then IT WILL release on Steam. It's not exclusivity or any such thing, it's just enforcing selling games on Steam from the moment a publisher decides to sell preorders on it.

V_K

Arcane
the issue people have with "steam allowing this" is that they put up a store page, get access to the steam database and other resources and then abandon ship and leave for epic while getting paid by epic, but then still have access to steam dev tools and the database, which effectively lets them build the game using the benefits of steam without ever paying their cut. outer worlds is still being updated on steam.db and they are using it upload/test dev builds, etc.

It'd be like if you owned a retail store and a company had stock in your store room and then tells you they are not going to sell their item in your store but are still going to continue to use your storeroom to store their products. it's absurd.

Well, all those games will be sold on Steam eventually, so Valve will get their cut. If, on the other hand, Valve cuts those devs off, they won't be getting any commission on those games ever.

Melcar

Arcane

Well, all those games will be sold on Steam eventually, so Valve will get their cut. If, on the other hand, Valve cuts those devs off, they won't be getting any commission on those games ever.

That really sounds odd and fucked up, but not uncommon in the business world (start working and send me your invoice, and I will eventually pay you at a predetermined time). You would think that the "fair" thing to do would be to kick those devs out and let them in until their games are available on Steam.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Note that this issue (namely Epic bribees continuing to use Steam's platform for publicity and visibility) would be much simpler to address if not for the deeply cancerous modern phenomenon of building hype communities several years in advance of a game's release. I know it's hard to believe now, but back in the day development was generally done quietly; games were announced just a few months before they were set to be released. In these latter days, the hype typically begins before a game even enters development.

Of course, it helped that development cycles in 1995 were a fraction of the length of today's.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Note that this issue (namely Epic bribees continuing to use Steam's platform for publicity and visibility) would be much simpler to address if not for the deeply cancerous modern phenomenon of building hype communities several years in advance of a game's release. I know it's hard to believe now, but back in the day development was generally done quietly; games were announced just a few months before they were set to be released. In these latter days, the hype typically begins before a game even enters development.

Of course, it helped that development cycles in 1995 were a fraction of the length of today's.
Yeah,the industry has really bloated,it will be fun when it burst tho.

Garbage

Learned

Agreed, I know people who are more hyped over the "breath of the wild sequel is now in development" announcement over anything else in the recent Nintendo E3 direct.
But they're also the same people who think DQ protags are literal whos, so I wasn't expecting a good opinion from them anyway.

Silentstorm

Learned
SNK has recently implied that a certain PC store went to them and offered money equivalent to many game sales in order to have the game be exclusive on their store, i wonder who that could have been now?

By the way, SNK refused, but that's mostly because they are certain that having the game in more stores will sell more, and Samurai Showdown as a brand name makes them believe they will sell enough copies to justify not accepting the certain PC store's offer for exclusivity.

I mean, SNK is not the biggest developer but they are still bigger than a small studio, but it's still funny that they refused Epic's money and then made what is basically a passive-agressive comment on Twitter saying "Yeah, someone offered us money, but honestly, we are so good we don't need the handicap, so suck it!".

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Great. Early access with zero infrastructure in place for the players to report bugs. Genius!
To be fair, plenty of devs on steam already pretty much ignore the steam forums and expect everyone to use either reddit or now discord. The problem with those platforms being that the ultra fanboys tend to use them so any criticisms, including totally valid things like bugs or horrible imbalances, get dogpiled into oblivion. Though discord at least has the advantage of making it easy to know if you've gotten a dev's attention if they reply right away.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I remember all of the bullshit from BioWare corporate, when they were shutting down the official forums.

Always chasing the money of children, this corporate world is designed to do. Influencers.... When I was in high school this shit was looked down upon as "peer pressure". Modern parents should have been aborted themselves.

Gerrard

Arcane
Great. Early access with zero infrastructure in place for the players to report bugs. Genius!

It'll be hilarious if the developers outright tell them to just use the Steam forums.
They will probably tell them to use Discord.
Which actually reminds me of the time when devs would post game news on fucking Facebook instead of the game's own site, forums, or Steam page, you know, places where actual consumers might look for it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
So basically instead of just buying on steam and then discussing on steam you have to first install epic and then install even more shit to discuss it. See, "competition" is good for you, goy.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Reinhardt

Arcane
Deep Silver has now stated they are assessing the Epic exclusivity deal to see if they go through with it:
https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/553951-shenmue-3-epic-exclusivity-will-be-assessed
In other words, they didn't expect nearly as much people to complain and are trying to calm people down.

Just remember this moment the next time 100 people on Twitter get a company to cover up some woman's tits.
Except people complaining about tits don't buy games at all, and in this case people ALREADY bought game.

And developers didn't asked trannies from twitter for money promising there will be no titties on cover.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Except people complaining about tits don't buy games at all, and in this case people ALREADY bought game.

And developers didn't asked trannies from twitter for money promising there will be no titties on cover.

I absolutely think if they said Steam during the crowdfunding they need to provide it now, I said that before. I'm just cautioning you on celebrating the power of loud people on social media making companies change things they don't like. It's gonna fuck you in the ass way more than it helps you.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'm just cautioning you on celebrating the power of loud people on social media making companies change things they don't like.
People don't asking Deep Silver to change things they don't like. They are asking to fullfill their promise or return already paid fucking money. Which could lead to lawsuit.
No one owes nothing to random "loud people" but in this case it's totally opposite. Paying customers should defend their rights and they have every right to be angry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom