Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mini games in GTA

Mini games in GTA

• 1) They are fun and a good idea.

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • 2) They are a stupid idea. I would never play one.

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
go

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I'd like them a lot more if they played into the general theme of being a criminal more. For example it would have been brilliant if the dancing in SA had been replaced with a crip walk mini game.

Master

Arbiter
They always somehow make me feel like im wasting my time. Cant remember if they were skipable.

Martyr

Arcane
pool billard and bodybuilding in San Andreas were fun. plus the sports challenges, can remember the one that starts at "Venice" beach, first swimming, then bike race and so on.
oh and don't forget the horse races in downtown "LA". save, bet your 500 dollars, reload if your horse lost, otherwise you can be a billionaire before you've even done 5 missions.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
There was an unskippable mission in one of the PS2 games which involved remote control aeroplanes and it was fucking unbearable. Generally though I like mini-game type activities. The bowling in Yakuza Zero and the karaoke in Sleeping Dogs were great

Martyr

Arcane
There was an unskippable mission in one of the PS2 games which involved remote control aeroplanes and it was fucking unbearable. Generally though I like mini-game type activities. The bowling in Yakuza Zero and the karaoke in Sleeping Dogs were great

yeah, I think you mean that mission in Vice City, in which you have to fly these mini helicopters into a building under construction, to detonate it?! that mission was a game stopper. absolutely abysmal.

Mustawd

yeah, I think you mean that mission in Vice City, in which you have to fly these mini helicopters into a building under construction, to detonate it?! that mission was a game stopper. absolutely abysmal.

There is a worse one in SA where you fly a remote control airplane. It’s awful.

But overall I enjoyed the mini games.

Martyr

Arcane

There is a worse one in SA where you fly a remote control airplane. It’s awful.

But overall I enjoyed the mini games.

don't remember that one, I can only remember the "flight school" you have to do before entering Las Venturas. that was awful as well.
but god damn, all that talking about GTA makes me install GTA San Andreas right now.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I've enjoyed most of them in VC and SA, after that it got too realistic to be fun.

RC stuff was sweet.

Flying is one of the things I actually enjoy most about GTA. I could do most of those flying missions at first try on repeat runs. Some of the flight school missions in SA do take some retrying though. SA Driving School, now that I had real problems with, good thing it's optional.

Tiospo

Learned
My favorite ones are mostly from SA, GAMBLING, arcade games, lowrider challenges.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Gwent was amazing in the Witcher 3. I launched the standalone recently and they've made big changes to it, I'm not sure if I like it yet.

I think it depends how they implement it. I liked dice poker in the Witcher games, were you had some sort of input, but Dragon Quest 8 had items you could only obtain through slot machine grinding which was pretty bad

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
At least the min-games in titles like GTA use the basic gameplay systems, IIRC. Racing, rampages, driving around looking for shit, whatever. It's mini-games that are randomly thrown in and feel nothing like the normal game that drive me nuts, like Bioshock's pipe game bullshit or whatever that bullshit was in Alpha Protocol that I remember driving me up the wall.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Wasn't exactly out of place considering it was about redirecting water, if I remember correctly.

I'm talking about gameplay, not the setting. I don't think playing pipe game has any place in an FPS, but GTA's shooter rampages take a part of the normal gameplay and twist it a little. Completely different things. I like the latter, hate the former.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

I remember that mission. What a slog. I'm getting PTSD just thinking about it.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The flying missions are what made me stop playing San Andreas. The KB & M controls were absolutely dreadful.

Mustawd

Wasn't exactly out of place considering it was about redirecting water, if I remember correctly.

I'm talking about gameplay, not the setting. I don't think playing pipe game has any place in an FPS, but GTA's shooter rampages take a part of the normal gameplay and twist it a little. Completely different things. I like the latter, hate the former.

The dance and low rider mini games are completely divorced from regular GTA gameplay though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom