Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Looks like Megan didn't have any pants on that day
sweatonmybrow.png

Generic-Giant-Spider

Swen is such an interesting looking humanoid. He looks like at any point he is going to rip off his face and eat someone with his reptilian head.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I remember, a few months ago, when reading "Goblin Slayer" one of the characters asked a priestess "How many heals do you have left to cast?" or something along those lines. And then it dawned on me: never in my life, whether playing PnP or a video game, has one character asked such a thing to another, even though it should be absolutely logical and natural. Someone like Edwin would not boast "I am a powerful mage." but simply state "I can cast 9th level spells twice a day." HE HIMSELF knows that, so why not share such information, especially for someone so arrogant? Because it would feel too "gamey", too mechanical in nature.

First of all cretin, if you had a critical mind and not just a deranged ball of shit in your head, you would understand the difference between two mediums. Books you read, games you play - and the play must be based on some kind of mechanics. Especially in RPGs where they must be more complex then in other types of games.

But instead, being a brainless dumbfuck you are, you just jumped and grabbed onto the idea that mechanics are not described in the books based on the DnD setting... as if that somehow proves your idea how Vancian system is bad, and how RPGs games should be "more about the stooory" and make you feel nice, instead of bothering you with mechanics - which is the exact argument every mass market dumbfuck ever made, and why Bethesda is making games for exactly the audience you are.

Btw, ignorant turd, in Jack Vance books - on which the VANCIAN system is based, the mechanics of magic are described exactly like that. Which is why that approach was taken by DnD and made into specific mechanics fit for the game.

Someone like Edwin would not boast "I am a powerful mage." but simply state "I can cast 9th level spells twice a day."
Thats the same thing - moron. He is a powerful mage because he can cast spells of that level.

And all novels based on DnD actually use the systems of DnD - including the Vancian magic system. They just dont describe it in exact words like a fallacious retarded cretin like you demands - to establish a moronic false proof for your moronic ideas.
Because its a different medium that uses a specific descriptive style - not dumb shit you just pulled out of your dumb deffect asshole.

The same approach is taken in the dialogues and story in the games themselves.

None of it proves your stupid ideas, only you dont get it, being such a stupid imbecile as you are.
And those absurdly idiotic responses you made only further show what a raging ludicrous moron you are.

https://www.dyingearth.com/files/GARY GYGAX JACK VANCE.pdf

JACK VANCE & THE D&D GAME
By Gary Gygax

Need I say that I am not merely a Jack Vance fan, but that he is in my opinion the very best of all the authors of imaginative fiction? Well I am and he is!

When I began to add elements of fantasy to medieval miniatures wargames around 1969, of course the work of Jack Vance influenced what I did. Along with Robert E. Howard, de Camp & Pratt, A. Merritt. Michael Moorcock, Roger Zelazny, Poul Anderson, J.R.R. Tolkien, P.J. Farmer, Bram Stoker—and not a few others, including the fairy tales Brothers Grimm and Andrew Lang, and conventional mythologies—his writing was there in my memory. Happily so. What I devised was based on the fantastic creations of many previous writers, an amalgam of their imaginations and my own, and it was first published in 1971 as the CHAINMAIL Medieval Miniatures Rules, the “Fantasy Supplement” thereto. Not much later, in 1972, I wrote the first draft of what was later to become the first commercial Role-Playing Game, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, published in January, 1974.

-

Just what portions of these works, the subsequent AD&D game, stemmed from inspiration related to the writing of Jack Vance? Several elements, the unquestioned foremost being the magic system used in these games. To my way of thinking, the concept of a spell itself being magical, that its written form carried energy, seemed a perfect way to balance the mage against other types of characters in the game. The memorization of the spell required time and concentration so as to impart not merely the written content but also its magical energies. When subsequently cast—by speaking or some other means—the words or gestures, or whatever triggered the magical force of the spell, leaving a blank place in the brain where the previously memorized spell had been held. Because I explained this often, attributing its inspiration to Jack Vance, the D&D magic system of memorized then forgotten spells was dubbed by gamers “the Vancian magic system”.

-

Of the other portions of the A/D&D game stemming from the writing of Jack Vance, the next most important one is the thief-class character. Using a blend of “Cugel the Clever” and Roger Zelazny’s “Shadowjack” for a benchmark, this archetype character class became what it was in original AD&D. Also some of the spells and magic items found in the game were inspired from one or another of Jack Vance’s works. Notable are the Imprisonment and Evard’s Black Tentacles spells. The latter was devised after reading the short story, “The Bagful of Dreams” in FLASHING SWORDS #4 published in 1977—not in time for my work on the Player’s Handbook but added to it later in the Unearthed Arcana supplement. Did I mention the Robe of Eyes? Ah, and who can forget the Ioun Stones magical items. Before actually publishing the latter, I consulted with the creator, of course, to get permission.

-

Indeed, what mage did not long for those 14 different colors and shapes to be circling his head? Mordenkainen, my own chief spellcaster PC, went on many a harrowing expedition searching for them, eventually wound up with an even dozen. What did the creator of the concept for these marvelous magical stones ask in return for adding them to the game? Only what I was planning to do in any event, mention his books in the work. Not only is Jack Vance a great author, but he is a very nice guy too.

-

Aside from ideas and specific things, the very manner in which Jack Vance portrays a fantasy environment, the interaction of characters with that environment, and with each other, is so captivating that wherever I could manage it, I attempted to include the “feel” he brings to his fantasy tales in the AD&D game. My feeble ability likely managed to convey but little of this, but in all I do believe that a not a little of what fans consider to be the “soul” of the game stems from that attempt.

Not only is the magic system directly based on Jack Vance stories but they directly influenced the very SOUL of DnD as a whole.

Last edited:

Curratum

Not only is the magic system directly based on Jack Vance stories but they directly influenced the very SOUL of DnD as a whole.

I love and respect Gygax deeply and largely agree with the spirit of the game as he envisioned it, but the entire body of actual mechanical rules that he wrote is obsolete and generally horrible.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Larian need to deliver something truly different and great with Baldurs 3 to entice me. I'm full well satiated on fantasy rpgs at this point with the great experience of Kingmaker.
What can Baldurs 3 offer that already hasn't been repeated?

D:OS 2 was a pretty big disappointment for me, and if Baldurs 3 turns out to be TB, eh, I might give it a shot. Larian has to really win me over from the disappointment of D:OS 2

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The sliding effect and the sidebar overlapping the scrollbar, what makes people even design such stuff?

I prefer navigations which allow me to see the hierarchy of categories and pages. I think a simple two-level "tabs" view - first row of links is your main categories and the second level is the contained subcategories in the active category.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sorry, I was slow to edit my last post:

I prefer navigations which allow me to see the hierarchy of categories and pages. I think a simple two-level "tabs" view - first row of links is your main categories and the second level is the contained subcategories in the active category.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Incline but that small black popup on the right side covers the scrolling bar. Shift it to the left. Should be possible.

- also, there is no main window, so whichever option i choose for the type of view, i always get some article open over the "main page" presentation so all options end up looking the same.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
The sliding effect and the sidebar overlapping the scrollbar, what makes people even design such stuff?

Yeah, that annoyed me instantly as well. But... wondering if the pros outweigh the cons...
Actually, when I saw your "Baldur's Gate" category, you have room for even three levels. The first category is the game in question, the second is the type of write up, and the third level is a link to the individual write-up.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
First of all cretin, if you had a critical mind and not just a deranged ball of shit in your head, you would understand the difference between two mediums. Books you read, games you play - and the play must be based on some kind of mechanics. Especially in RPGs where they must be more complex then in other types of games.

But instead, being a brainless dumbfuck you are, you just jumped and grabbed onto the idea that mechanics are not described in the books based on the DnD setting... as if that somehow proves your idea how Vancian system is bad, and how RPGs games should be "more about the stooory" and make you feel nice, instead of bothering you with mechanics - which is the exact argument every mass market dumbfuck ever made, and why Bethesda is making games for exactly the audience you are.

Btw, ignorant turd, in Jack Vance books - on which the VANCIAN system is based, the mechanics of magic are described exactly like that. Which is why that approach was taken by DnD and made into specific mechanics fit for the game.

Thats the same thing - moron. He is a powerful mage because he can cast spells of that level.

And all novels based on DnD actually use the systems of DnD - including the Vancian magic system. They just dont describe it in exact words like a fallacious retarded cretin like you demands - to establish a moronic false proof for your moronic ideas.
Because its a different medium that uses a specific descriptive style - not dumb shit you just pulled out of your dumb deffect asshole.

The same approach is taken in the dialogues and story in the games themselves.

None of it proves your stupid ideas, only you dont get it, being such a stupid imbecile as you are.
And those absurdly idiotic responses you made only further show what a raging ludicrous moron you are.

not only is the magic system directly based on Jack Vance stories but they directly influenced the very SOUL of DnD as a whole.

You call someone ignorant while fanatically defending system that makes mages looks like hybrid of children with down syndrome and Alzheimer patient, I mean when someone forget shit that he was doing all his life isn't normal at all. It's like being ok with your coworker who was doing his job in first half of day and then forgetting how to do that in second half of day. The "Vancian" system (I prefer call it Alzheimer system) also works pretty shitty if we consider D&D setting as harsh environment with apex predators where survival of mage alone is almost impossible and in realistic approach nobody will "babysit" alzheimer patient in hopes that MAYBE after many years he/she will be able to cast one fireball or two per day. If someone wrote something decades ago - it doesn't mean that this system should be used for decades, don't treat D&D as religion.

And if you want to convince someone in something - use more arguments than insults, because you somehow managed turn few arguments in long post and reading your bowel was boring. Spewing saliva on monitor while having a stroke doesn't making conversation more productive, it makes you look like idiot fanatic.

Stupid person on Codex:
"If ya disagree with my view on "holy" D&D books, you are cretin, brainless dumbfuck, ignorant turd, moron, retarded, dumb deffect asshole and etc. And all this because you dared to tell your opinion on rule book for tabletop game." (sorry , I was trying to parody average fanatic retard speech, but it's hard as fuck to copy Mr. Hiver manner of speech)

Meanwhile people who have rights an licence on D&D: Lol, I don't care about realism or logic, shit sells and we don't have to do any job. Thats about it.

All this sperging about "soul of D&D" is stupid as hell. Personally I don't agree in some points with Auraculum, but I lost any willpower to argue because there always will be stupid person like Mr.Hiver who will increase heat in discussion instead of trying actually to convince person that had "wrong" opinion.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
- also, there is no main window, so whichever option i choose for the type of view, i always get some article open over the "main page" presentation so all options end up looking the same.

When you switch to, say, the Flipcard in the menu, click the header of the menu again and the BG3 "ad" should roll-fade away and stay gone for good. Flipcard mode is v. powerful.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Vogel should sue, Avernum is probably a bigger name than Avernus now :D (Wizards riding on the popularity of Spiderweb games)

sorry too hot here

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
And if you want to convince someone in something - use more arguments than insults, because you somehow
Im not, there is no convincing that cretin of anything, which he established several times over before that last outburst of stupidity.
I also dont give a fuck about your "experience of it", he deserved and earned every insult several times over. And you can go fuck yourself too.

You didnt use a single argument in that whole post of yours but fallacies, personal accusations, attacking my character and insults. Yet you present that as my fault.

And you think its just going to stick... which exposes you as another hypocrite dumbfuck.

Spewing saliva on monitor while having a stroke doesn't making conversation more productive, it makes you look like idiot fanatic.
You are confusing my post for what your mother was doing while spewing you out.

I did not insult him just because i am a "fanatic" you dumb shit, i insult him because he refused to accept logic, common sense and to understand the basic history of the genre or DnD, in order to proclaim his own stupid nonsense more superior.
And he posted several utterly retarded replies so all my "insults" are just facts.

Just like you deserve these insults because you are trying to turn it into my "fanaticism", and my "bad character" - instead of actual factual reasons for the argument spread over several pages.
And you do that because you are a cunt who can only come up with basic cliche fallacies to get what you want.

All this sperging about "soul of D&D" is stupid as hell.
That is a direct description of the original creator of DND explaining how and why Jack Vance stories influenced it so much you dumb turd. Its not "sperging" - its a FACT.
One that you refuse to accept and try to make insignificant by ... calling it names, while you pretend to be reasonable agent, who would accept facts and "reasonable arguments".

And that exposes you as a pathetic shit who tries to win arguments not with facts and reasoning, but by moronic proclamations, emotional blackmail and fallacies.
A dumb, low hypocrite and a cunt.

who will increase heat in discussion instead of trying actually to convince person that had "wrong" opinion.
There is no convincing the fallacious imbeciles of anything contrary to their opinions. That is not why they are here, just like you are not - really.
All of it was explained to him several times over and over in a completely normal way, and all he did was trying to invent even more idiotic nonsense to argue against that.
Just like you are doing.

You call someone ignorant while fanatically defending system that makes mages looks like hybrid of children with down syndrome and Alzheimer patient, I mean when someone forget shit that he was doing all his life isn't normal at all. It's like being ok with your coworker who was doing his job in first half of day and then forgetting how to do that in second half of day. The "Vancian" system (I prefer call it Alzheimer system) also works pretty shitty if we consider D&D setting as harsh environment with apex predators where survival of mage alone is almost impossible and in realistic approach nobody will "babysit" alzheimer patient in hopes that MAYBE after many years he/she will be able to cast one fireball or two per day. If someone wrote something decades ago - it doesn't mean that this system should be used for decades, don't treat D&D as religion.

This is the real reason why you just went and wrote all that "character attack" post - because you dont understand or "approve" of the Vancian system.

Thats your real motivations you low scumbag cunt.

Instead of actually learning and understanding why and how the system works. Which is explained in short in the very part of my post you intentionally did not quote.

- The spells are not really forgotten at all.

- A mage is completely capable of surviving alone - as much as any other class is. Retard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9axCnf9KWs

- After many years? As opposed to what other class ?

Im not treating anything as religion you dumb twat. But it as sure as fuck needs to be used in DnD games and BG3.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom