Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Outer Worlds E3 2019 Demo Gameplay Footage and Previews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Leonard Boyarsky; Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds

There have been a few more presentations of The Outer Worlds with Leonard Boyarsky at E3 since Monday, including at GameSpot and Shacknews, all featuring the same truncated gameplay footage. And there have been a bunch of previews of the game as well, which mention people and places that don't appear in that footage. It all came together today when Leonard showed up at the E3 Coliseum show to present the full-length Outer Worlds demo. Accompanying him was none other than former Tyranny director Brian Heins, who provided narration (sometimes too much of it). The demo takes place on the wild planet of Monarch and begins in a frontier town called Fallbrook. The player character receives a mission from a local businesswoman to take out Clive Lumbergh, the grisly owner of a nearby factory for genetically engineered bacon. This time instead of going in through the sewer entrance, the player infiltrates the factory using his social skills with the help of a unique holographic disguise mechanic. However, the demo cuts off in the same place as before, with the player about to make his decision on how to deal with Clive.

Now that we've seen that, here are those previews:

This is probably the best footage of The Outer Worlds we've seen so far, demonstrating a variety of paths, mechanics and some clever writing. Let's hope they can keep it up.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Accompanying him was none other than former Tyranny director Brian Heins...

giphy.gif

aris

Arcane
Damn! Outer worlds is looking more and more incline. It has the potential to be as good as Fallout NV but with a much more interesting art direction and better gameplay mechanics. Flaws is an interesting feature.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Brian Heins
Wow, what a fat guy.

Anyway, I'm not sure if telling us about the lore and giving us trivia (talking about fauna for example) is the best strategy here, seems rather pointless to share such details at this stage when it has no fan base (besides Infinitron). Then again, his rambling suggests that he's genuinely excited talking about this shit which might be a good sign. On a side note, they should have turned off the in-game audio because when Brian is speaking it's a cacophony.

Also, typical SJWism to make a woman in charge of a criminal organization (then again two women follow you around like dogs, which makes you think).

In general the game looks good so far, definitely better than Bloodlines. There are lots of dialogue options and skills related to it, there also seems to be less handholding here (and we seem to have more freedom, the world appears to be more reactive) and dialogues make more sense. Characters also tend to look more interesting, both physically and mentally (Clive really does look like a rapist). And there's C&C, in Bloodlines nose-pierced-chick gave you money for info, you didn't deliver and she just let you go with a warning, lol. In TOW, based on what Leonard said that will be much more accentuated.

I've been hyped about Bloodlines 2 the most (because I love the original) but by the looks of it, out of the Cyberpunk, VTMB 2 and TOW that last game looks the best so far. It seems that those who liked FNV will feel right at home.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Looks awesome. Hope it will be hard as hell, but there's a special difficulty setting for that :mlady:

Definitely day-1 purchase, hopefully hard copies are available (in Europe) on OCT 25th

Repressed Homosexual
I just sped through it. Come on guys, you know better by now. You seriously think that a game with AAA graphics that is a FPS with such a huge gun animation, silly dialogue choices and "mature moral decisions" will be any good. How many times do you have to get duped to realize this is not possible?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I just sped through it. Come on guys, you know better by now. You seriously think that a game with AAA graphics that is a FPS with such a huge gun animation, silly dialogue choices and "mature moral decisions" will be any good. How many times do you have to get duped to realize this is not possible?
Maybe it will be "so bad that it is actually good" trope?

Reader

Scholar
they didn't push their agenda so hard, so impressions from game were different so no complains.
No. There were no complains because to be woman in charge of a gang is not an agenda yet. At least while you can shoot her in the face and continue to play. Like i did with Sis from Alpha Protocol. But if there wasn't an option because 'she-so-fucking-important-and-stronk', now that would be agenda.

Zeriel

Arcane
Make a fucking sequel to Tyranny. Or a fully fleshed out, expanded remake. You have the budget.

Paradox own Tyranny so Obsidian can't have anything to do with it going forward.

Let me rephrase then: Paradox, you love money, and you love adding content to the same game, over and over again. Make a remake of Tyranny, for God's sake. There is literally no other RPG set in a Bronze Age/Iron Age setting.

The bronze age/iron age stuff ended up being completely irrelevant though, it was more high fantasy than anything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom