Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Necromunda: Underhive Wars - tactical RPG from Mordheim devs

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mordheim was really cool but it needed some sort of "overworld", something to make the game feel a bit more "alive". Even though I enjoyed the combat and the systems a lot, after a while it got repetitive
It also had the problem of a ridiculously slow start.

When you start out, you can really only play ultra defensively and carefully.
As early on, each and every mistake can cascade extremely quickly - add to that some of the most extremely RNG driven combat mechanics I've ever seen and you are on the constant brink of desaster. And of course, no saving during battle...
That might be true to the source material, but it also leads to a kind of gameplay early in the game that I can't really enjoy.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cool

One thing that is beyond me is why Games Workshop fails to realize that people want Jagged Alliance/XCOM 40K. You could start with a Chaos Gate like game pitting Spehs mahrines against CSM and expand it gradually with DLCs. But no...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cool

One thing that is beyond me is why Games Workshop fails to realize that people want Jagged Alliance/XCOM 40K. You could start with a Chaos Gate like game pitting Spehs mahrines against CSM and expand it gradually with DLCs. But no...
I don't think GW is to blame for this one.
As we all know, they will sell their license to anyone, no matter how unsuitable to develop games. Which is why we are getting tons of Warhammer games, but only very few good ones.
My guess is that somehow, nobody approached them with that idea yet.

It also had the problem of a ridiculously slow start.

When you start out, you can really only play ultra defensively and carefully.
As early on, each and every mistake can cascade extremely quickly - add to that some of the most extremely RNG driven combat mechanics I've ever seen and you are on the constant brink of desaster. And of course, no saving during battle...
That might be true to the source material, but it also leads to a kind of gameplay early in the game that I can't really enjoy.
That was my experience, plus the mages not being generally worth the effort it took to develop them.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
There was one title years ago, but those idiots only released it for handheld consoles.

Doesn't even look half bad and we're stuck playing Chaos Gate...honk honk

Chaos Gate is the better game, though (I don't remember why Squad Command didn't click for me, as it was a long time ago, but I was midly disappointed).

Ebonsword

Arcane
There was one title years ago, but those idiots only released it for handheld consoles.

Doesn't even look half bad and we're stuck playing Chaos Gate...honk honk

Chaos Gate is the better game, though (I don't remember why Squad Command didn't click for me, as it was a long time ago, but I was midly disappointed).

Squad Command is fairly easy and doesn't have much squad customization, so I can see why you'd prefer Chaos Gate. Squad Command is still worth a play for 40K fans, though--they did an excellent job of capturing the gritty feel of the setting.

lightbane

Arcane
There's also that WH40k mod for XCOM at the OpenXcom forums. Recently the latest version lets you go to the CHAOS! path and fight Grey Knights. Also, playable IG with Ogryins.
Too bad I'm kinda burned out with WH40k.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
From last month's White Dwarf.

IEoPwMO.png

3mjQtmk.png

3adoGsv.png

EtzhRYI.png

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Would be really cool if they made the AI gangs "persistent" so that you'll meet the same fighters in combat and basically "create your stories" with them

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
BS meter on, it's in white dwarf which is far removed from the kickass magazine it used to be when I was a nipper, so gotta consider this a propaganda piece.

"In Mordheim players had quite a lot of options when it came to making their characters" Like this, that is a stoned face lie, the customization options in Mordheim were pathetic. Xcom 2 it was not.

Having 2 options per piece doesn't exactly seem extensive to me either (and I'm pretty sure that's what Mordheim had aswell, 2 pieces for most things you can customize, 3 in some cases if memory serves), but it does seem there are more pieces you can change. Being able to change body types is interesting and...gender...

WAIT WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Female Goliaths? That's definitely new. So by implication we are going to get male eschers too even though I'm pretty sure that makes even less sense? I am so confused, for real. Unless the lore changed house Escher are matriarchal and their men folk are super weak for reasons I forget which means they ain't fight worthy. And one of the reasons they hate Goliaths is because they see them as musclebrained macho dimwits. Though new lore also has house Goliath reliant on Escher for the drugs which makes them super buff for some reason so I dunno, this is confusing.

Makes me wonder if they only did this because as Escher and Goliaths are the only gangs available at launch it would seem like a women vs men sex wars game in the eyes of normies and that would be a hell of thing to do for a mainstream geam in 2019 (still waiting for a modern remake of gender wars btw!). So they gotta throw in female goliaths and male eschers so journos and social media residents don't tear them to pieces. Looking forward to an all female goliath gang taking on all male escher gang: muscle girls vs soy boys (again, escher men are supposed to be really incapable, it's why their womenfolk do everything).

Otherwise on a more positive note, gangers zipping around and using the terrain sounds really cool and would make combat feel a lot more fluid then Mordheim was.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I'm realllly not worried about them monkeying with the transcendent genius of the original game's Hemingway meets Tolstoy level "lore".
Yeah, whenever I see people going crazy about "muh lore!" with Warhammer, I raise an eyebrow...
Especially in 40k, which is so over-the-top it is impossible to take serious to begin with.

Skulls for skull throne!
Teeth for the tooth fairy!

... hey, can you make your own battle cries in this game?

Yeah, whenever I see people going crazy about "muh lore!" with Warhammer, I raise an eyebrow...
Especially in 40k, which is impossible to take serious to begin with.

Skulls for skull throne!
Teeth for the tooth fairy!
Nobody calls it "lore", since that would imply taking it seriously. It's "the fluff".

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I use fluff and lore interchangeably, if there is a difference I am ignorant to it.

And don't get me wrong, I ain't busting a nut over this and exaggerate my reaction for comedic effect but do find it bizarre the 2 gangs that were always mono gendered and had sexist beliefs are all of a sudden ok with mixed gender setups so can't help but wonder what the decision making process was there.

Last edited:
I use fluff and lore interchangeably, if there is a difference I am ignorant to it.

And don't get me wrong, I ain't busting a nut over this and exagerrate my reaction for comedic effect but do find it bizarre the 2 gangs that were always mono gendered and had sexist beliefs are all of a sudden ok with mixed gender setups so can't help but wonder what the decision making process was there.
I think the (((decision making process))) is quite obvious. What will be next, Warhammer 40k for kids? Ooops!

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

And don't get me wrong, I ain't busting a nut over this and exagerrate my reaction for comedic effect but do find it bizarre the 2 gangs that were always mono gendered and had sexist beliefs are all of a sudden ok with mixed gender setups so can't help but wonder what the decision making process was there.
I think the (((decision making process))) is quite obvious. What will be next, Warhammer 40k for kids? Ooops!
Already done with Warhammer Adventures!

SUxXbeL.png

https://warhammeradventures.com

:prosper:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

I'm Zelia! ( https://warhammeradventures.com/games/ )

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

SUxXbeL.png

I'm all for having more kids get into the hobby, but GW dropped the ball on this one, not least because it breaks the consistency of the fluff. The writing also isn't very good compared to other books that are aimed at the younger audience, and most kids I know who are into Warhammer enjoy some semblance of grim darkness. If it were in my hands, I'd do something closer to Gotrek and Felix without the excessive gore and sex, use shorter sentences with less exposition, and call it a day.

Trash Player

Scholar

but it has always been for the kids, both the real kind and the overgrown ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom