Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just realized that I've ignored point-and-click adventure games pretty much all my life and there's a GOG sale going on right now. What are some that are good and/or not going to make me feel like a tard?

Anything Sierra or Lucasarts from the 90s, honestly. My personal faves would be Sam & Max, Monkey Island 1-3, Day of the Tentacle and Space Quest 4, but there's lots of other good ones. Only thing I'd advise is staying away from the early text input ones. Some of them are good, but not for a newb.
Disagree. I'm gonna keep applying for the role of 'that guy who won't shut up about Legend's text adventures' here and plug them again. Some of them are on gog, some aren't, but they're all great (Gateway and Eric in particular, IMO), and not too hard:

https://af.gog.com/game/eric_the_unready?as=1649904300

https://af.gog.com/game/spellcasting_123?as=1649904300

But yes, hard to go wrong with Sierra or Lucasarts either. Grim Fandango is probably my favourite of the lot, although it relies too much on adventure game logic at times.

Edit: I think I misunderstood DalekFlay but I stand by the contents of this post nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I just realized that I've ignored point-and-click adventure games pretty much all my life and there's a GOG sale going on right now. What are some that are good and/or not going to make me feel like a tard?
Broken Sword 1 and 2. Grim Fandango.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Complete your D&D collection up to 85% off got me excited until I realized it's just Beamdog games I don't own...

099998fc2624d9eda454705a23f84946.jpg

Black Angel

Arcane
I got an email notifying me of cyberpunk games being on sale. It looks sorta like this:
30kyfjc.jpg

Here's GOG page from the link above.

Pretty genius marketing move to further the hype of CP2077, I say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Angel

Arcane
Complete your D&D collection up to 85% off got me excited until I realized it's just Beamdog games I don't own...

I'm so relieved that I purchased all Infinity Engine and Neverwinter Nights games before this travesty.
I began buying games on GOG long after EE of BG games are released, and thus had to resort to sailing the Seven Seas to get the original cut of both games :negative:

Luckily, not only I haven't spend a dime on any of Beamdog's EE, but looking at GOG and its questionable curation nowadays I'm kinda glad of not spending too much on them :dealwithit:

Syl

Cipher

I'm so relieved that I purchased all Infinity Engine and Neverwinter Nights games before this travesty.
I began buying games on GOG long after EE of BG games are released, and thus had to resort to sailing the Seven Seas to get the original cut of both games :negative:
When you buy Baldur's Gates EE on GOG, they give you a code to add classic versions to your library.

Squid

Arbiter
When you buy Baldur's Gates EE on GOG, they give you a code to add classic versions to your library.
Why though? Planescape Torment comes with the classic and EE, bam, just like that. You buy the EE and you get a listing for the EE and the Classic. Why can't they just give you both?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The 7Cs can't give you the original cut.

See, if you don't remove it from an inventory, you can't say that you have it.

Stop playing games. You want the EE. We know it. You know it.

Black Angel

Arcane
The 7Cs can't give you the original cut.

See, if you don't remove it from an inventory, you can't say that you have it.

Stop playing games. You want the EE. We know it. You know it.
Y r u doin dis 2 me?

I apologize that I'm not clear enough, but I already got the original cut, courtesy of plundering the 7Cs. Just stahp

Syl

Cipher
But I don't want the EE or pay for them at all, I just want the original cut.
A solution would be to convince someone to buy the EEs and give you the codes. If you offer something in exchange, maybe you can find that on the GOG forums.

Black Angel

Arcane
A solution would be to convince someone to buy the EEs and give you the codes. If you offer something in exchange, maybe you can find that on the GOG forums.
Nah, I wouldn't want even my enemies to pay a single cent to a decline manifest.

mck

Cipher
reminder that there is nothing wrong with the Planescape Torment re-release

Squid

Arbiter
Do people just hate the EEs and Beamdog? Is there anything actually wrong with the non-EE Planescape Torment on GOG?

Black Angel

Arcane
Do people just hate the EEs and Beamdog? Is there anything actually wrong with the non-EE Planescape Torment on GOG?
I don't hate them per se, it's just that I don't condone their practice of not giving people a choice to either just get the original version or with the EE. Not to mention that they actually listed themselves as THE developers of the game, instead of the original developers.

Also, I don't see much value in their 'enhancement'. The EEs are basically the games + essential mods with extra steps, why would I pay them 10 bucks for that when I could do it myself and it's already pretty simple?

Citizen

If you bought originals on gog before, then they are still in your library. If no - either embrace the EEs or go to good old downloads onion mirror*

*piracy is bad, men

Black Angel

Arcane
If you bought originals on gog before, then they are still in your library. If no - either embrace the EEs or go to good old downloads onion mirror*
Like I said, I only began buying stuff on GOG long after the EEs is released. The only ones I managed to grab before the EEs are PS:T and NWN1.

*piracy is bad, men
Fuck that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom