Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Which also means that they shouldn't bother to simulate them well :P

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, a few members of our (TLD) team got to play it yesterday, I think.
I'll be getting an invite too, I'm told.

Wow, first Six Ages and now this. Have you ever realized that your whole purpose in life is to play games that I don't have access to yet? I hope you're really proud of yourself. :argh::argh::argh:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, a few members of our (TLD) team got to play it yesterday, I think.
I'll be getting an invite too, I'm told.

Wow, first Six Ages and now this. Have you ever realized that your whole purpose in life is to play games that I don't have access to yet? I hope you're really proud of yourself. :argh::argh::argh:

"Exclusive list,
look there's my name!

I got in....
You couldn't get in!"

https://youtu.be/lVmmYMwFj1I?t=77

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I'm joking tbh, they obviously should try to make the results a bit more realistic

Modron

Arcane
I don't know, I always felt that autoresolving was about 10x times worse than if you just ran the battle and sat there doing nothing and 100x times worse than if you actually participated.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Even though I agree, I always felt like that was an incentive to go for manual battles :)
It's just annoying if you're knocked out in combat and are at the edge of winning a battle, but 2 half HP high tier units survived and you have to autofight them. I remember having 4 units killed and a few more wounded when my 150 party went up against a single Mamluke. That mamluke somehow managed to kill units despite them usually using only blunt and non lethal weaponry.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Even though I agree, I always felt like that was an incentive to go for manual battles :)
It's just annoying if you're knocked out in combat and are at the edge of winning a battle, but 2 half HP high tier units survived and you have to autofight them. I remember having 4 units killed and a few more wounded when my 150 party went up against a single Mamluke. That mamluke somehow managed to kill units despite them usually using only blunt and non lethal weaponry.
Most mods have a fix for that btw, you die but you see the battle going on etc

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
release date
D9CtdxrX4AAxo4F.png:large

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't know, I always felt that autoresolving was about 10x times worse than if you just ran the battle and sat there doing nothing and 100x times worse than if you actually participated.

Yeah, the only times I would want to autoresolve is when I've got such an overwhelming advantage that I'm not gonna take any casualties and it's a waste of time to play it out, but autoresolving those would often have a few of my best guys get killed.

Lemming42

Arcane
Despite being obviously the best part of the game, the battles could get fairly tedious around mid-game, especially if you're trying to start your own kingdom. Trying to do something important or ride to protect somewhere that's besieged for the 50th time that week when some absolute dickhead races over to you.

"Is there no way to avoid this battle? I don't want to fight with y-"
"AHA BUT I WISH TO FIGHT WITH YOU!!!"

The battle system loses its fun when it's the 10th identical battle in that hour of gameplay. If auto-resolve worked properly, it'd enhance the game a lot by letting you skip over the samey lord battles that you're guaranteed to win anyway and instead choose to take part directly when it comes to big exciting battles like sieges, giant multi-faction wars, battles against specific lords/monarchs who really piss you off etc.

razvedchiki

Erudite
The most retarded feature of warband battles was the ai where 500 made a column and attacked 1 guy while gettin mauled from the rest of the enemy army,hope they fix this and implement individual targeting for the ai.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The most retarded feature of warband battles was the ai where 500 made a column and attacked 1 guy while gettin mauled from the rest of the enemy army,hope they fix this and implement individual targeting for the ai.
I wouldn't count on it.
Having to manage the AI of 500 individuals in a real-time battle is almost impossible, performance-wise. Though smaller groups than "everyone is in the same group" should definitely be doable... I hope.

U-8D8

Savant
Despite being obviously the best part of the game, the battles could get fairly tedious around mid-game, especially if you're trying to start your own kingdom.
Them improving the mid and late game is probably the biggest reason to look forward to Bannerlord. When the game eventually devolves into the busywork of Lord wrangling and the thrill of capturing a castle is no longer there, I can't help but look back on that early game wistfully.

I think it was ERYFKRAD who posted the "What is best in life?" clip from Conan to describe Mount & Blade, but I can't help feeling more like King Osric whenever I have my own kingdom.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Them improving the mid and late game is probably the biggest reason to look forward to Bannerlord. When the game eventually devolves into the busywork of Lord wrangling and the thrill of capturing a castle is no longer there, I can't help but look back on that early game wistfully.

I agree but even with all of these devblogs have they given us any reason to believe they will fix it? Like how could anyone play Warband through to the mid- and late-game and not realize the glaring problems, such as:

Hmm, the AI kings usually award fiefs to themselves, which pisses off all the vassals and eventually leads to mass defections and a complete breakdown of kingdom unity. We should probably take another look at our algorithm for how the AI calculates fief awards, and revisit the relationship mechanics between kings and vassals over time.
or
You know, no matter how many times I curb stomp Count Shittypants, he always shows up a few days later with an army of trash mobs to raid my villages. It's no fun fighting the same trash battle over and over again, or to have to constantly worry about your fiefs when you're out on campaign. Maybe we should take a look at respawn rates for AI lords, along with their AI so they are actually trying to achieve meaningful goals instead of just being annoying.

It leads me to believe the devs either don't understand their own game, or just don't give a damn.

deama

Prophet
Even with the teleporting cheat, late game kingdom management was pretty annoying.

I'm hoping it's a case of "Yeah, obviously we fixed it, we just thought that because it was such an obvious fix, we didn't bother including it in our devblogs".

vota DC

Augur
You can queue fief improvements now. I also suspect they are fewer and more important since they take slots and they must give you a reason to not build a Castle.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Kingdom management was so awful I wished there were some option to be a mercenary/bandit lord where you could take over one castle but sort of semi-ally with a proper faction so you don't have to start your own kingdom and fend off a berrrjillion attackers all at once.

deuxhero

Arcane
A fix looting system would be nice. Original/Warband's is a mess, and it's not hard to come up with a replacement.

All possible loot is gathered into a single pile at the end of battle. You, as leader, get first pick (unless you have allied lords) and can pick your "share" (a percentage of the total value determined by party size, leadership skill, seniority and a bunch of other factors) of loot from whatever you want (for some reason the current system is opposite). You can dump liquid gold into the pool to increase your share size if you really want something. Your companions get second pick and will pick upgraded gear (with your approval), but otherwise just take stuff for its GP value. All your nameless men will follow suit and take for GP value. Stuff taken for GP value adds to your party's carried weight, but is automatically sold at town. The player can dump stuff into a "sell" pile when picking loot, which marks it to be auto-sold.

Easy.

Payd Shell

Arcane

I agree but even with all of these devblogs have they given us any reason to believe they will fix it? Like how could anyone play Warband through to the mid- and late-game and not realize the glaring problems, such as:

Hmm, the AI kings usually award fiefs to themselves, which pisses off all the vassals and eventually leads to mass defections and a complete breakdown of kingdom unity. We should probably take another look at our algorithm for how the AI calculates fief awards, and revisit the relationship mechanics between kings and vassals over time.
or
You know, no matter how many times I curb stomp Count Shittypants, he always shows up a few days later with an army of trash mobs to raid my villages. It's no fun fighting the same trash battle over and over again, or to have to constantly worry about your fiefs when you're out on campaign. Maybe we should take a look at respawn rates for AI lords, along with their AI so they are actually trying to achieve meaningful goals instead of just being annoying.

It leads me to believe the devs either don't understand their own game, or just don't give a damn.
Well you can execute lords now. Should take care of those pesky no fiefs no army dudes who show up at the same village every time to raid it despite the villagers being enough to take him down themselves, but lords get a free pass when looting villages. I hope you're able to recruit militias for your villages, that would also fix some problems. I also hope that their honor rating and personality influences whether they even raid villages in the first place.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They're sending closed beta invites now: https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1594753310271836369

a16827e1dc081889ad4d37e2e4e9b4d17c3ee553.jpg

Greetings warriors of Calradia!

Earlier in the year, we told you about our intention to hold a multiplayer beta for Bannerlord. This is something we have some experience with from our previous title, Mount & Blade: Warband, so we are fully aware of the value of including our community at this stage of development. Our preparations have been proceeding quite nicely and we thought it would be a good idea to share what we have been up to in this period.

The first stage of the beta preparation process was to set up things so that we as the developers could experience the game as players, downloading and playing it from our homes. This was quite exciting for us and many team members commented that playing the game felt very different when played from home, although of course, it was very much identical to the version in the office!

After making sure everything was working, we went on and invited some of our friends and family members. By inviting people close to us, we were able to ensure that both our game and servers were working as intended - without having to worry about providing a perfectly polished gameplay experience quite yet. Still, our intention with this was to lay the groundwork for inviting members of our community to play the game.

While doing all of this, we kept on polishing the game as well as developing the necessary infrastructure for a smooth multiplayer experience. We created a matchmaking system, as well as systems for deploying servers and monitoring their performance. We also started working on systems that would collect data from played matches so that we could analyze this information and make more informed decisions for future development. In addition to collecting data, we thought about the best ways to receive feedback from players and put it into use, creating questionnaires and special forum sections for this purpose.

And that leads us to where we are right now! This week, we started inviting members of our community to participate in a closed beta. We think that at this stage, this is the most productive route to take, as it allows us to draw from their collective knowledge, understanding, and experience of our previous games, as well as, allowing us to show some appreciation for the continued passion and support that they have shown for our games over the years.

blog_post_96_taleworldswebsite_02.jpg

Our friends from the clan Unity posing for a photo during a closed beta playtest

With this being the early stages of testing, we have decided to keep the player count rather small and manageable, allowing us to more directly engage testers and make better use of the feedback provided to refine Bannerlord’s multiplayer and make it the best that it can be. The game is far from feature and content complete, and these early tests are very much focused on testing the game’s systems and mechanics, as well as, stability before it’s ready for a more general audience.

After this stage of closed beta tests, our plan is to transition to an open beta, meaning a large number of players will be able to access the game and be involved in the testing process. When that time comes, we will make an announcement detailing how you can apply to take part. Until then, we hope you take heart from knowing that we have taken the first steps towards releasing the game and that after such a long wait, it’s finally almost harvesting season!

blog_post_96_taleworldswebsite_03.jpg

Skirmish - A 6vs6 Team-Based PvP Game Mode

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom