Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

frajaq

Erudite
some good fucking art pieces for this game

Gruncheon

Savant
FemininePenisGate aside, I've got a growing worry that the CDPR writers can't pull off a game set in America so well. A sense of place was something that worked hugely in the Witcher's favour and I don't feel that with Cyberpunk. The presentation is fantastic so far, but I can't escape the feeling there's a kind of generic quality to what we've seen so far. Like the devs are really familiar with all the best beats of films about urban American decay/dystopia tropes; they can create a good-looking facsimile, but they can't bring authentic experience to it.

It reminds me a bit of the shift from Wolfenstein: New Order (one of the best games of last gen) to Wolfenstein: New Colossus (pile of shit). New Order was made by Swedes, set in Germany. Surprisingly intelligent treatment of Nazism, remarkable mastery of tone, grounded, likeable characters. The whole shebang. New Colossus was made by the same Swedes but set in America; an America cobbled together out of Tarantino movies and a sense of effeminate Euro superiority. It remains one of the worst games I've played. I will never forgive them for the scene where BJ sits pliantly - for about five minutes - while being told his place by a breastfeeding Black Panther Mama. She is the most competent character in the game. I think the reason they slipped so easily into caricature - to the detriment of the game - was because they had no actual familiarity with America. They only had a leftist Hollywood impression of the US: 33% campus rape, 33% racism, 33% evil white men running corporations.

I don't think it's the exact same problem for CDPR, but a lack of familiarity doesn't lend well to creating something fresh and engaging.

tl;dr It would be better if the game wasn't set in Night City and was instead set in Night Krakow.

Darkzone

Arcane
Character Renders
image_cyberpunk_2077-40557-2618_0001.jpg
image_cyberpunk_2077-40557-2618_0002.jpg
image_cyberpunk_2077-40557-2618_0003.jpg
image_cyberpunk_2077-40557-2618_0004.jpg
image_cyberpunk_2077-40557-2618_0005.jpg
Why are the females so hideous?
A lot of niggers.
Look at this fine people again and think which economic activity they pursue. This can only be beaten by some latino druggie slashers that harvest organs. Ohh wait...
Any WP should rejoice upon the depiction of minorities in this game, because a lot of them have a invisible bullseye painted upon their head.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Part of the dissonance in some folks not feeling the setting of this game I could attribute to the environment is not based on modern or more nuanced rational realization of what the future woud look like, but more 80s to early 90s neon fueled imaginings of the future on steroids. The stuff seems certainly even further gone than Blade Runner...and sorta like what Fallout did with what the 50s vacuum tube technologists thought the future might be to build foundtation of their future settings. Who knows, I didn't follow the game as much as you guys and not vested in Cyberpunk pen n' paper but CD Projekt seems pretty much on point and methodical with their adaptation.

From what I've seen my impression is that the level and quality of materials contained within that pertains to America to be not really Wolfenstein New Colossus kitsch but more Far Cry 5's rendering of US survivalist cult/sect?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Part of the dissonance in some folks not feeling the setting of this game I could attribute to the environment is not based on modern or more nuanced rational realization of what the future woud look like, but more 80s to early 90s neon fueled imaginings of the future on steroids. The stuff seems certainly even further gone than Blade Runner...and sorta like what Fallout did with what the 50s vacuum tube technologists thought the future might be to build foundtation of their future settings. Who knows, I didn't follow the game as much as you guys and not vested in Cyberpunk pen n' paper but CD Projekt seems pretty much on point and methodical with their adaptation.

From what I've seen my impression is that the level and quality of materials contained within that pertains to America to be not really Wolfenstein New Colossus kitsch but more Far Cry 5's rendering of US survivalist cult/sect?

It's because the future according to the 80s is actually entertaining where as the future according to Zoomers is depressing as shit.

NullFlow

Savant
Giant Bomb talked a little bit about their impression about Cyberpunk and they didn't say it was boring but they did say it was mundane or something.

I kinda hope when CDPR decides to release the gameplay demo like they did before, they release both of the demos the IGN video talked about, the girl said one shorter video looked really good while the longer press video looked worse or something.
Take what you will from other impressions like The Verge or PC Gamer, but coverage like them are also agreeing and saying the game isn't particularly innovative or exciting in gameplay. Like it's a bit of a bland game that borrows ideas from other games and executes them well, but not in any forms we haven't seen before. That's what was also said last year when a few commented how the game is like a mix of Deus Ex, Dishonored and GTA, but without that really unique angle to it other than the setting and sheer scale. Might be some gaming press tendency to stand out and get clicks, but it's a bit of a pattern to see comments like this.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Character Renders
image_cyberpunk_2077-40557-2618_0001.jpg
image_cyberpunk_2077-40557-2618_0002.jpg
image_cyberpunk_2077-40557-2618_0003.jpg
image_cyberpunk_2077-40557-2618_0004.jpg
image_cyberpunk_2077-40557-2618_0005.jpg
Why are the females so hideous?
A lot of niggers.
Look at this fine people again and think which economic activity they pursue. This can only be beaten by some latino druggie slashers that harvest organs. Ohh wait...
Any WP should rejoice upon the depiction of minorities in this game, because a lot of them have a invisible bullseye painted upon their head.
Meh,most of them will end up dead in my game,also a lot of them look like corporate rich bitches. Still doesn't change the fact that all but one are niggers :).

turkishronin

Arcane

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well they are rich enough to have a pc and post on the codex...:smug:
As if they bought it all.

How do you steal internet
You could build a machine that sends back packages back to the rooter and it end up stealing the password. It is not hard to build but you need the knowledge.

whoa didn't know black people were so well versed in technology
They are not,you asked how you can steal net,i told you one of the options. As i said it is not that hard if you have some basic engineering knowledge. Have a friend that was selling that shit after a year in the university,it could be useful for hacking. Speaking of which maybe i should ask him to build me a jammer.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I am looking forward to blasting this game apart.

If I end up liking this game I will livestream setting myself on fire. That's how confident I am that I will shit all over this game. I am going to destroy the hard work of these people. CDPR better get fucking ready for the onslaught of pain coming out my popcorn stuffed maw when I knock it all the way to Beijing.

The decline will be my incline.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like how everyone ignored the RPS article saying the combat isn't good to focus on tranny shit.
Tbh, I expected combat to be less than stellar. I've played all 3 The Witcher games and I can't say that combat is what draws me in. Not that I have partaken in the transphobia discussion.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A good interactive movie needs combat for time filler and as an alternative activity to dialogue, not for the "challenge" in the gamist sense. Just look at Witcher 3's combat.

agris

Arcane
Patron
My only concern about this game atm is that wisecracking ghost-Keanu popping up all the time will get annoying after a while.
Ever read Neuromancer? I think this is where they get it from. It's totally appropriate for the genre imo, and like so many things, it comes down to how well it's executed.

Keanu is Keanu right now, but if they do it right, he'll blend into his character after a while. A bit like seeing Paul Giamatti play John Adams.

ZVERMIX

Learned
Patron
Insert Title Here My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That's what was also said last year when a few commented how the game is like a mix of Deus Ex, Dishonored and GTA, but without that really unique angle to it other than the setting and sheer scale.
You act like this isn't major fucking incline for 2020 SJW world.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah, especially because self victimization like that removes any responsibility for any personal failure from any of them. Everything wrong is - caused by someone else, the "oppressors", but that "everything wrong" space is everything in past, everything now and everything in the future. Once a human psyche falls into that kind of psychosis there is no easy way back, or ever for some.

Its not unique only to that group, but a lot of other groups too. It can be noticed building up in the "oppressed white" groups right now, but its easy to see various examples over all of history too. Hitler used it very well, Commies did too, several muslim countries, movements an ideologies use it, and so on down to cultural movements and on and on.
Thing is, its not a completely false victimization but one that starts from something real and then explodes into extremes.

That's what was also said last year when a few commented how the game is like a mix of Deus Ex, Dishonored and GTA, but without that really unique angle to it other than the setting and sheer scale.
You act like this isn't major fucking incline for 2020 SJW world.
A bit of consequence of too much hype and too high expectations mixed with not really understanding the setting. I could bet at least half of them expected to be able to play in some tripy "cybarspace" and achieve transhumanist utopia.

Yet, its only an Action RPG - and First Person gameplay carries the usual action oriented - combat focused gameplay features.

If they achieve quest and branching quality as it seems they might, with options of RPG features and mechanics, of Dishonered and above quality ill be plenty pleased with it, even with FP which i dont prefer except in straight shooters.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom