Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It would eat up your CPU and memory no more than watching a Youtube video or livestream would.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Really don't see the point of Stadia, there are people talking that Stadia might consume 15 gb bandwidth per hour on 4k and 3gb per hour on 720p, keeping in mind that this might be heavily compressed data that will certainly impact the quality of the image so Stadia 4k isn't equal to native 4k. So, to enjoy this, you must be someone living on a city with good internet coverage, paying a plan with no data caps and the subscription won't even cover all games. You will need to fork 129 dollars for a controller and a chromecast(good luck using a keyboard or a third party controller with this shit because the latency will be horrible), the extra expense with the internet will easily more than make up the difference in price from a traditional console.

The only thing I see this being a benefit is to poor people who can't pay for a console or PC but how many poor people have access to high speed no data cap connection, 4k compatible TV are out there? If you have a 4k TV with good internet connection, are you going to use a always online service that will provide you with sub par compressed 4k for what reason?

Dexter

Arcane
That doesn't mean I doubt its chances though, as Netflix and whatnot have already shown the convenience and subscription format will entice people, as long as it feels playable with a controller, and there's nothing any of us can do about that. You're probably the "normal" one here, being excited about it. Oh well.
Everybody knows movies are the same as games after all, and Streaming videos is the same process as playing and rendering a game.

Why don't we display video games in the cinema and charge people entrance to play and watch? It works for movies after all!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Everybody knows movies are the same as games after all, and Streaming videos is the same process as playing and rendering a game.

Why don't we display video games in the cinema and charge people entrance to play and watch? It works for movies after all!

I said "as long as it works okay" in every post. Supposedly the beta testers and people who tried that Assassin's Creed thing say it worked fine, but we shall see. As long as it functions okay people will choose convenience and subscriptions over quality and ownership, just like they have with everything else before.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Disappointed. I'm one of the outspoken supporters of this technology, but what they're offering simply makes no sense at this point.
Give me one of these, and I might change my mind

1) free service - you need to buy all the games at full price like on Steam/GOG/Epic, but in addition to playing it on your PC you can stream it as well
2) subscription - I pay a certain amount monthly which enables me to play any game I want in the library

Google wants to have the cake and eat it as well. Requiring a specific and pretty expensive game controller is also a big fuck you to the consumers.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, to enjoy this, you must be someone living on a city with good internet coverage, paying a plan with no data caps and the subscription won't even cover all games.
You just have to live in a more civilised part of the world. Like Europe, where cheap, fast, unlimited, stable internet is not a problem. :troll:
2) subscription - I pay a certain amount monthly which enables me to play any game I want in the library
I think if Stadia takes up, there might be several subscription tiers, maybe there will be something like this.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I'd guess this will be the case eventually, but every studio and some other major companies will have different services with exclusive games. Same thing that's happening with video.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, the fragmentation is a problem of that model. If there are multiple publisher subscriptions and every one of them costs $10 the total price could easily skyrocket to something ridiculous. Sure, you could just subscribe to each publisher for a month or so while you're playing a specific title or whatever, but changing packets every month will probably cost more.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes, the fragmentation is a problem of that model. If there are multiple publisher subscriptions and every one of them costs $10 the total price could easily skyrocket to something ridiculous. Sure, you could just subscribe to each publisher for a month or so while you're playing a specific title or whatever, but changing packets every month will probably cost more.

I wish I was amazed that's not the story today. We have Sony, EA, Xbox, Google and Ubisoft all with services now that each cost $10 or more a month, and yet no one is really reporting about the inevitable repercussions of that. I get that it's because right now most games are spread across these services, but can't they see what the future will be? Aren't they paying attention to what's happening with video? Eurogamer had an article this morning about Xbox Game Pass being the obvious future of the medium with a glowingly positive write-up about it, and all the comments are people excited they can play everything for $10, and it just baffles me people are so short-sighted and stupid. Baffles, but doesn't surprise.

Mortmal

Arcane
So, to enjoy this, you must be someone living on a city with good internet coverage, paying a plan with no data caps and the subscription won't even cover all games.
You just have to live in a more civilised part of the world. Like Europe, where cheap, fast, unlimited, stable internet is not a problem. :troll:
I think if Stadia takes up, there might be several subscription tiers, maybe there will be something like this.
Exactly it will end up as popular as Netflix.

Google staadia in the future can probably btfo any handheld market.

Imagine gaming AAA games at 60 fps on a handheld junk while in commute. Only problem would be if current and even future network capability is enough to support such load with ever increasing visual fidelity.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Handhelds basically already are dead, though. Nintendo Switch is a glorified tablet, not a handheld. Mobile cannibalised it.

Sounds like 15$ to download all of Ubisoft's catalog off Uplay or stream it off Stadia, for a month.

Requiring a specific and pretty expensive game controller is also a big fuck you to the consumers.
...where did you read that you need a specific controller?

Last edited:
Today in my country and in several countries in Europe (Spain, Italy, France), there was an internet outage from Vodafone, both Wi-Fi and mobile data. It lasted 1 hour and a half or so. Were I streaming on Stadia at the moment, it would be completely inaccessible to me during that time, and this right here scares me about the streaming future. Yeah, it's just one hour, and these occurrences are rare, but still, I don't like not playing when I want, being completely left out because the internet is down doesn't sound all that great to me.

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Today in my country and in several countries in Europe (Spain, Italy, France), there was a power outage. It lasted 1 hour and a half or so. Were I using anything with electricity at the moment, it would be completely inaccessible to me during that time, and this right here scares me about the electric. Yeah, it's just one hour, and these occurrences are rare, but still, I don't like not playing when I want, being completely left out because the power is down doesn't sound all that great to me.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Today in my country and in several countries in Europe (Spain, Italy, France), there was a weed outage. It lasted 1 hour and a half or so. Were I wanting to take mega bong rips at the moment, it would be completely inaccessible to me during that time, and this right here scares me about the farmers. Yeah, it's just one hour, and these occurrences are rare, but still, I don't like not getting riggity-ripped when I want, being completely left out because the 420 is down doesn't sound all that great to me.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Today in my country and in several countries in Europe (Spain, Italy, France), there was a power outage. It lasted 1 hour and a half or so. Were I using anything with electricity at the moment, it would be completely inaccessible to me during that time, and this right here scares me about the electric. Yeah, it's just one hour, and these occurrences are rare, but still, I don't like not playing when I want, being completely left out because the power is down doesn't sound all that great to me.
Others will probably rate down your post, but it was a good analogy for the post before yours. Nobody gives (or should give) a fuck if they can't play for an hour because the internet is out. That is not the problem with this service. The problem that it probably gives your an inferior gaming experience.

Others will probably rate down your post, but it was a good analogy for the post before yours. Nobody gives (or should give) a fuck if they can't play for an hour because the internet is out. That is not the problem with this service. The problem that it probably gives your an inferior gaming experience.
It was a good analogy, but the thing that annoys me is Google praising their service for not having downloads, but if they offered a download option it would just be more convenient for everyone, not having to constantly rely on internet (there are people with way worse internet than in Europe), and having a better graphical fidelity, like you say.

Maybe I should have phrased it that way, a steaming-only solution is not the way to go, in my opinion.

Plaguecrafter

Novice
It was a good analogy, but the thing that annoys me is Google praising their service for not having downloads, but if they offered a download option it would just be more convenient for everyone, not having to constantly rely on internet (there are people with way worse internet than in Europe), and having a better graphical fidelity, like you say.

But then their service wouldn't really be much different than any other that already exists. This is them "innovating" and being different than competition.

Onionguy

Educated

Maybe I should have phrased it that way, a steaming-only solution is not the way to go, in my opinion.

You are missing the point, Stadia is not aimed at PC owners. It's for people who browse the internet on their smartphone, smart tv or low-end laptop. The option to download games would be useless for them. No one would even consider streaming games if they could easily run them on their desktops. So let's say you purchase a game on stadia, and then you immediately download it to your PC in order to prepare yourself for the internet outage. So from now on, what's the point of streaming it?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I think people hating on Stadia so much are forgetting how many games aren't Real time action. Ping would make literally 0 difference if you wanted to play Divinity: OS, Baldur's 3 or some strategy game. Technology will also improve over time. If you want to play FPS, Stadia is simply not for you at this stage.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think people hating on Stadia so much are forgetting how many games aren't Real time action.
Like two nowadays. Look at the most played PC and console games out there, Hearthstone is basically the only thing that breaks into the top 10 on Twitch that isn't real time action, and you can play that on your phone for free. 80% of the market is playing multiplayer FPS and MOBAs.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
People who say it will not work are forgetting that Google is there for the long run. People laughed when the first Xbox came out too.
Google is sitting on an unlimited amount of cash. If they are serious about this, the problems will eventually be ironed, the market will adapt, and you are looking at a future where Google becomes a major player in the industry.

No escape.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom