Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Doom III was more akin to the originals in tone. The new ones are retarded Brutal Doom ripoffs. They even stole the mantling from the newer variants of Brutal Doom. Disgusting fucks.

What did Doom III have tonally to do with originals? Cramped up tiny corridors? Everything being covered in darkness? Guns sounding and behaving like they fired peas? Re-using same colour pallette over and over and over and over again in those samey monotone corridors? The -story-? I am a little bit confused here.

I guess the rooms behind walls were very Doom-like.

For one it felt scary instead of retarded. I won't go in depth more than that since I lack time. Read any one of a thousand comments that said Doom 3 is better than Doom 4.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Doom III was more akin to the originals in tone. The new ones are retarded Brutal Doom ripoffs. They even stole the mantling from the newer variants of Brutal Doom. Disgusting fucks.

What did Doom III have tonally to do with originals? Cramped up tiny corridors? Everything being covered in darkness? Guns sounding and behaving like they fired peas? Re-using same colour pallette over and over and over and over again in those samey monotone corridors? The -story-? I am a little bit confused here.

For one it felt scary instead of retarded. I won't go in depth more than that since I lack time. Read any one of a thousand comments that said Doom 3 is better than Doom 4.

Who the fuck was scared by doom 1?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

Uh, Doom 1 and 2 had similiar tone because they were 'scary'? Roight, when I was kid I might've been spooked once or twice by the sudden enemies coming from the trapdoors but that's about the extent of the horror it had. And I already addressed this in my post.

But I reckon we can continue with tonal similiraties, like how Doom III tosses 3-5 enemies at you at once in most hectic situations, totally tonally correct with the fast paced gameplay of original Dooms. Just as is the marine in Doom III running at a pace that makes my grandfather blush from emphatetic shame. Jesus fucking Christ.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The first half of the original Doom shareware episode had a more slow-paced and "scary" feel like Doom 3, and those levels are probably what most people played. I don't know if that was a factor in their decisions with Doom 3 or not.

Kitchen Utensil

Yes.

I'd still say Doom 3 was a bad Doom game, but it was a good horror game that had an identity. NuDoom is just an even shittier Brutal Doom. Retarded arena shooter with retarded glory kills, shitty soundtrack, monotonous level design and layout, unskippable cutscenes etc. It's utter shite and this new one looks even worse.

JDR13

Arcane
I'm curious what other FPS in the last 10 years do you guys think is actually good?
the darkness 2
metro 2033 and wolfenstein the new order (if you're a storyfag)
wolfenstein the old blood
dusk
amid evil

Not sure how anyone could mention Metro 2033 and not mention Metro Exodus. It was a huge improvement imo and easily the best shooter I've played in the last few years.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Uh, Doom 1 and 2 had similiar tone because they were 'scary'? Roight, when I was kid I might've been spooked once or twice by the sudden enemies coming from the trapdoors but that's about the extent of the horror it had. And I already addressed this in my post.

But I reckon we can continue with tonal similiraties, like how Doom III tosses 3-5 enemies at you at once in most hectic situations, totally tonally correct with the fast paced gameplay of original Dooms. Just as is the marine in Doom III running at a pace that makes my grandfather blush from emphatetic shame. Jesus fucking Christ.

Christ indeed. You are a moron like most of the young faggots that have rolled through here the past few years. Enjoy your decline.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Not sure how anyone could mention Metro 2033 and not mention Metro Exodus. It was a huge improvement imo and easily the best shooter I've played in the last few years.
i haven't played it yet. You know, epic store.

JDR13

Arcane

Dayyālu

Arcane
Yes.

I'd still say Doom 3 was a bad Doom game, but it was a good horror game that had an identity.

Doom3 was a bad game overall, its only saving grace was a phenomenal art design. Even sound was mediocre. As a shooter, it's very very bad, with cramped levels, uncreative fights and shitty weaponry. They should have made a survival horror instead, Doom3 would have made a great Alien Isolation-like ten years earlier.

And no, it's not because Doom1 didn't throw you dozens of foes at once it means it was shitty as Doom3. Doom3 was rightfully savaged by the "old guard" when it was out because it was trying to ape Half Life so hard it's not even funny: cutscene focus and "industrial" level design. Doom3 is a bad Half Life clone, up to the point of aping the Gravity Gun in the expansion. Every enemy in Doom3 is beautifully designed and utterly wasted: from the endless shitty imp ambushes, from the Archviles, to the Mancubus boss fight to the real boss fights that are a complete travesty.

It's very pretty to look at, though. If it was an horror game it would have been good, but it's too action-y for that and they even changed it in the Steam version to give you more ammo&guns to lessen the tension. Shitty design all around.

NuDoom is just an even shittier Brutal Doom. Retarded arena shooter with retarded glory kills, shitty soundtrack, monotonous level design and layout, unskippable cutscenes etc. It's utter shite and this new one looks even worse.

NuDoom is Brutal Doom for the masses, yes. But it gets tiresome to repeat it ad nauseam to the sheep that bleat NEW BAD OLD GOOD NEW BAD OLD GOOD. Go replay Doom3 and enjoy the top-tier (lack of) design, then, and report. There was a reason everyone with a taste in 2004 shat on it, after all.

Quake IV is a better game than Doom3. Prey for sure. Better as a horror game, even.

hpstg

Savant

Christ indeed. You are a moron like most of the young faggots that have rolled through here the past few years. Enjoy your decline.

So, young faggots are the ones believing that Doom III was a bad Doom game. Were you even sperm in your dad's balls when the originals were out?

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So, young faggots are the ones believing that Doom III was a bad Doom game. Were you even sperm in your dad's balls when the originals were out?

To this day, I still remember vividly the lamentation of the boring monster closet in the gaming IRC channel I used to frequent, so yes, and you're in the minority here. Doom 3 would not have stood anywhere near the light of the sun were it not for the fact that it was made with an highly innovative engine, that, to this day, hasn't been surpassed in how dynamic the lighting truly feels. As a tech demo it was impressive as hell when it was released, although these days people might not really get what's special about it because there are prettier (but not necessarily as dynamic looking) games.
Doom 3's guns sound like utter garbage. They feel like garbage. The encounter design consists of spawning something behind you literally every 3 seconds.
It's shit and you're hipster tier poster for bringing this.

It came out at the same era as Half Life 2, another somewhat mediocre but still definitely more entertaining FPS than it, and of the two Doom 3 was quietly shoved into a corner and forgotten until nuDoom released and reminded people that the franchise was a thing.

btw the monster closet has a fucking doom wiki page
https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Monster_closet
It's hilarious

And id reacting to the bad reaction to doom 3 :
https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.131315-id-Promise-No-Monster-Closets-In-Rage

id has rethought its design concept for its upcoming post-apocalyptic shooter Rage, promising that monster closets are a thing of the past.

Blast the Imp, pick up the shotgun ammo, wait for the new imp to appear, blast that too. If that sounds familiar, then you've probably played Doom 3.

One of the most common complaints levelled at the game was its over use of 'monster closets', or enemies that would appear, often from hidden compartments in walls, when you reached a certain trigger point. All kinds of scary the first few times, but after that achingly predictable. But id assures us that 'monster closets' are a thing of the past, as the company responds to criticism and challenges the perception of what an 'id game' is.

"[In Rage] when you're going to the RC-Bomb base [from the demo] to deal with the Shrouded clan they're doing whatever they're supposed to be doing," said Matt Hooper, lead designer on Rage. "If they're supposed to be defending against you coming there, they'll be doing that. If they're just tinkering or having a conversation they'll do that. You will never see a [monster closet.]"

Rage is scheduled for release some time in 2010 and is likely to be one of the last id games to be released without the ZeniMax label.

And you know what? as soulless as Rage is, it's a better shooter than doom 3 by far.

Swigen

Arbiter
I liked Doom 3 ‘cause it was scary, which fell in line with the tone of the Doom I grew up with.

I wouldn’t say Doom 2016 was bad, but I don’t see how spawning arenas full of enemies every two minutes and jumping around like a retard collecting power ups is any closer in tone to the originals.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I wouldn’t say Doom 2016 was bad, but I don’t see how spawning arenas full of enemies every two minutes and jumping around like a retard collecting power ups is any closer in tone to the originals.

They are both bad. It isn't a game where one has to be good and the other bad.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
To be alive and live in a thread where there are delusional people defending Doom III. I've seen everything.

hpstg

Savant
To this day, I still remember vividly the lamentation of the boring monster closet in the gaming IRC channel I used to frequent, so yes, and you're in the minority here. Doom 3 would not have stood anywhere near the light of the sun were it not for the fact that it was made with an highly innovative engine, that, to this day, hasn't been surpassed in how dynamic the lighting truly feels. As a tech demo it was impressive as hell when it was released, although these days people might not really get what's special about it because there are prettier (but not necessarily as dynamic looking) games.
Doom 3's guns sound like utter garbage. They feel like garbage. The encounter design consists of spawning something behind you literally every 3 seconds.
It's shit and you're hipster tier poster for bringing this.

It came out at the same era as Half Life 2, another somewhat mediocre but still definitely more entertaining FPS than it, and of the two Doom 3 was quietly shoved into a corner and forgotten until nuDoom released and reminded people that the franchise was a thing.

btw the monster closet has a fucking doom wiki page
https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Monster_closet
It's hilarious

And id reacting to the bad reaction to doom 3 :
https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.131315-id-Promise-No-Monster-Closets-In-Rage

And you know what? as soulless as Rage is, it's a better shooter than doom 3 by far.
My original post was mocking the guy insisting that Doom 3 was good. Doom 3 did interesting with with the lighting in its engine, but it was no Doom, and it was quite disappointing when released. We agree.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's worth it. Trust me.

The launcher isn't that bad btw

The three games I own on the Epic Store all launch without even having the client running at all. Not sure if that's true of Metro though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom