Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Person RPG with Best Itemization?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Dungeon Master / Chaos Strikes Back and Legend of Grimrock I/II are particularly strong for dungeon-crawling real-time blobbers where all loot is hand-placed, the quantity of loot is severely limited, and many of the weapons and armor pieces are unique.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Morrowind.

Morrowind has good hand placed loot, but rather boring random loot.
On the upside lots of item slots, on the downside rather boring item system, with most items just allowing you to cast a spell. Also Enchanting system is broken.

Most (not all) classic dungeon crawlers nail this aspect. Might & Magic is outstanding in awarding varied items that have game-play impact, with Gates to Another World being a prime example.

First game I thought of. Probably the most diverse loot before Diablo 1 or 2, and eight characters to divvy the loot.

I'd say Wizardry 7 and Grimoire have excellent itemization.

Wiz 7, seriously? You never find any interesting random loot, which makes the incentive to combat much weaker than in for example MM2.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Wiz 7, seriously? You never find any interesting random loot, which makes the incentive to combat much weaker than in for example MM2.

Itemization is not the same as "good random loot", which by the way exists too - in the chests with randomized items.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No game has done the "find well placed and actually unique loot" thing like Morrowind. Other Bethesda games (and New Vegas) have done it with various degrees of success, but Morrowind did it pretty perfectly. A lot of Piranha Bytes games have hand-placed stuff but none of it is ever that exciting in my experience. In Morrowind when you found some crazy good sword that was totally unique because you explored it was a great feeling.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Morrowind.

Morrowind has good hand placed loot, but rather boring random loot.
On the upside lots of item slots, on the downside rather boring item system, with most items just allowing you to cast a spell. Also Enchanting system is broken.

Most (not all) classic dungeon crawlers nail this aspect. Might & Magic is outstanding in awarding varied items that have game-play impact, with Gates to Another World being a prime example.

First game I thought of. Probably the most diverse loot before Diablo 1 or 2, and eight characters to divvy the loot.

I'd say Wizardry 7 and Grimoire have excellent itemization.

Random loot is shit anyway compared to well thought out hand-made items. I'm really not a fan of big randomization.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
No game has done the "find well placed and actually unique loot" thing like Morrowind. Other Bethesda games (and New Vegas) have done it with various degrees of success, but Morrowind did it pretty perfectly. A lot of Piranha Bytes games have hand-placed stuff but none of it is ever that exciting in my experience. In Morrowind when you found some crazy good sword that was totally unique because you explored it was a great feeling.
So sad that most of the best things about the older TES games like the actual joy of discovery of a well placed unique item in some cool dungeon is long gone from let alone the TES games but modern games in general, where random “rare” “epic” loot is so rampant

I can still remember my first play through of Morrowind finding a tomb just outside the starting village and finding the Mentor Ring (+10 Int & Wis) which became one of my first goals in every single playthrough after that

Random generated worlds are all the rage now and while they are very cool for that emergent gameplay aspect I will take a well done handcrafted experience with placed loot anytime; the feeling of growth where you can go anywhere and try your luck fighting much higher leveled enemies in the hope of getting some great higher level loot or unique item is such a great experience that is almost lost nowadays

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
King's Field.

Most of the stuff you can buy in the shops can be found through exploration and if you resort to spending your hard-earned yehzah to buy a short sword, you're def doing something wrong.

Also quite a few sooper sekkrit areas with phat lewtz if you can be arsed to look around and take risks.

Vulpes

Scholar
How about the STALKER series? The only way to improve your character's combat prowess in those games is by getting better equipment since there are no attributes, skills or perks to speak of

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Might & Magic, Wizardry is what you're looking for.
Wizardry 8 and Might & Magic 6, 7, 8, 10 for "modern" ones.
Wizardry 6, 7 and Might & Magic 3, 4 , 5 for older good looking ones, the rest for retro gaming.

Ryan muller

Educated
There is always real old school and point him to UW2 :D
Itemization in UW 1 and 2 isnt good even tho those games are loot based after a certain time you simply dont get interesting gear anymore and you will see the same generic weaponsbover and over again.

It doesnt help ranged weapons are shit in that engine and armor isnt that important

Even tho UW1 is one of my favorite rpgs, itemization was never its strong point

U5 did it better

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom