Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Latro

Arcane
Let me add to that: Walton Simons, Bob Page, Gunther and Anna, Everett, Paul Denton, a ton of memorable characters with excellent characterization.

Putting it into context, this is why Obsidian should have helped out...at least nu-deus ex would have gotten at least one memorable character. Hell, even Icarus and Daedulus were fun and memorable characters.

Fairfax

Arcane
There's little about MD that could've been improved by Obsidian, and plenty that could've been worse.
I am confident it could have had a better plot. I read a synopsis for MD's and it was so boring and "Why would I care about any of this?"
I played it, and I thought the story was mediocre, but less boring than PoE/PoE2/Tyranny's. Main issue is that it's clearly unfinished, and an Obsidian version would be even more so.

Sentinel

Arcane
It's not unfinished though. The immediate plot is resolved, you stop the terrorist group that bombed the train and is threatening the area.
You might argue that it's unfinished because we don't exactly know what the Illuminati are planning, but the game leaves plenty of hints of what is going on in MD (including what happened and will happen to Adam) and what will happen in the future. And since it's a prequel, you can paint your own canvas really easily, so it's not really a big problem.

Latro

Arcane
It's not unfinished though. The immediate plot is resolved, you stop the terrorist group that bombed the train and is threatening the area.
You might argue that it's unfinished because we don't exactly know what the Illuminati are planning, but the game leaves plenty of hints of what is going on in MD (including what happened and will happen to Adam) and what will happen in the future. And since it's a prequel, you can paint your own canvas really easily, so it's not really a big problem.
the fact that it is a prequel is the problem - nothing you do really matters. DX1 will always be DX1. I have no earthly clue why they didn't just pretend Invisible War wasn't canon, easiest fix ever. nu-deux ex's problem will always be the terrible, terrible characterization though. not a single likeable character - which is disastrous as the "prequel" to DX1.

Sentinel

Arcane
the fact that it is a prequel is the problem - nothing you do really matters. DX1 will always be DX1. I have no earthly clue why they didn't just pretend Invisible War wasn't canon, easiest fix ever.
This isn't really a problem for me. I'm not very interested in what happens as much as how it happens. And since Eidos Montréal games have a different protagonist, I'm pretty interested to see how Jensen would react to the Illuminati manipulation he's being subject to, and if the Illuminati will manage to reset him or will just use his DNA data instead.

Latro

Arcane
the fact that it is a prequel is the problem - nothing you do really matters. DX1 will always be DX1. I have no earthly clue why they didn't just pretend Invisible War wasn't canon, easiest fix ever.
This isn't really a problem for me. I'm not very interested in what happens as much as how it happens. And since Eidos Montréal games have a different protagonist, I'm pretty interested to see how Jensen would react to the Illuminati manipulation he's being subject to, and if the Illuminati will manage to reset him or will just use his DNA data instead.
what's there to be interested in? he'll just gruffly say "he didn't ask for this" whether or not the player makes him approve or disapprove. that's as much character agency both Adam and the player have.

Sentinel

Arcane
what's there to be interested in? he'll just gruffly say "he didn't ask for this" whether or not the player makes him approve or disapprove. that's as much character agency both Adam and the player have.
I think finding out you're just a copy of a person who's dead would warrant more than a "I didn't ask for this". The possibility you paint isn't very interesting obviously, but I find potential in it nonetheless.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The new DeusEx are pretty meh. Also the last one was filled with SJW garbage "aug life matter" :). Also it was half a game,it had like 4 missions. The hub city was pretty cool tho. Really enjoyed killing all the aug retards. Another thing was how it didn't make any sense in the context of the first new DX. In the first one only the very rich and powerful could afford aug,it was luxury good. Then it the second game all the augs end up as downthrown beggars,it doesn't make any sense.

Codex Year of the Donut
I think finding out you're just a copy of a person who's dead would warrant more than a "I didn't ask for this". The possibility you paint isn't very interesting obviously, but I find potential in it nonetheless.
Was it confirmed that he was a clone in MD?
I know it was hinted at(rather heavily if you pay close attention), but I could never be bothered to finish MD.

Sentinel

Arcane
Was it confirmed that he was a clone in MD?
I know it was hinted at(rather heavily if you pay close attention), but I could never be bothered to finish MD.
there's a post credits scene that hints at it more and then the ending of A Criminal Past hints at it again.

Flou

Arbiter
It'll get a revival if CP2077 is a success. I hope it gets handed to Eidos Montréal again, because they had some very passionate people, especially the Art Director. That dude was ace.

If? Don't you mean, WHEN CP2077 is a success. If Squeenix is smart, they are already working on the game and will reveal the game next year either at Gamescom or at E3 with a release date set in the end of the year.

Quillon

Arcane

An interview with all the new Xbox games studios which includes Obsidian!

Feargus wants to collaborate with(maybe is collaborating with) Undead Labs out of all those MS studios... what would Obs possibly gain from them? Yeah they are using UE4 but their game maps aren't particularly big or impressive in any way and their co-op based gameplay is mediocre, not to mention both SoD1&2 are poorly optimized.

Xeon

Augur
Infiltration Stealth mostly game or something with companions tagging along sounds kinda weird.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

In this 2018 GDC session, game designers Richard Rouse III, Erin Hoffman-John, Soren Johnson, Raph Koster, Josh Sawyer, and Stone Librande go into detail about the unique game design rules they've used in their work.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
megan_starks.png

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Always came across as someone cocky who thinks he's got everything figure out without realizing he's that way.

Yes and that what made him such a fun character to begin with, at least parts of it. It was a real flaw and helped to make him more believable.

Flou

Arbiter
According to LinkedIn Obsidian now has 198 employees. Not sure how many resigned/fired members still linger in there but considering that the same number was somewhere around 175 when Microsoft bought Obsidian, they have certainly grown.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom