Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Kanerah as a treasurer is a good choice, she has some unique options which will bring more income/money.

Codex Year of the Donut
Regongar is amazing general even for LG kingdom so former slave is not as big a problem. But Military choices are all about Might vs Magic with almost no morality involved. His preference for Magic is nice when all LG Cassil worries about is licking Aldory's ass.
IIRC it's implied that Regongar had warfare training as a slave, and he seems to have a natural aptitude for it.
The alternatives to Regongar just aren't very appealing -- a (probable) spy and a barbarian. Even if you're friendly with the Aldori peoples you don't want their person to be leading your military.

Sharpedge

Prophet
What spells do you guys consider essential and/or underrated for arcane & divine?
e.g., Echolocation is really good.
My perspective is a bit warped since I only played with companions once to see what they were like and since then only played solo, but some of the spells I consider essential and underrated (so not stuff like Fiery Body or Haste, which is essential and well Rated) are:

Arcane:
  • Icy Prison
  • Expeditious Retreat
  • Polymorph, Greater (if you are a character who has a pet)

Icy prison pretty much neutralizes anything in the game. Even if an enemy is immune to cold, the simple restriction of movement makes such a difference to the flow of combat that I consider it essential. Polymorph, Greater turns pretty much any pet into a Smilodon in terms of number of attacks, but allows you to benefit from the better stats of the other pet types. Expeditious Retreat is like permanent haste in terms of moving around the map. Huge QoL. I can't really remember anything off the Divine Spell list that is both underrated and essential (although there are well rated spells like blade barrier) but it has been a few months since I played with a divine caster, so there is probably something.

Codex Year of the Donut
What spells do you guys consider essential and/or underrated for arcane & divine?
My perspective is a bit warped since I only played with companions once to see what they were like and since then only played solo, but some of the spells I consider essential and underrated (so not stuff like Fiery Body or Haste, which is essential and well Rated) are:

Arcane:
  • Icy Prison
  • Expeditious Retreat

Icy prison pretty much neutralizes anything in the game. Even if an enemy is immune to cold, the simple restriction of movement makes such a difference to the flow of combat that I consider it essential. Polymorph, Greater turns pretty much any pet into a Smilodon in terms of number of attacks, but allows you to benefit from the better stats of the other pet types. Expeditious Retreat is like permanent haste in terms of moving around the map. Huge QoL. I can't really remember anything off the Divine Spell list that is both underrated and essential (although there are well rated spells like blade barrier) but it has been a few months since I played with a divine caster, so there is probably something.
what spells do you consider essential but not underrated?
I typically don't play arcane casters in D&D so I'm not sure which spells I should be using, I've mainly been using him to pew pew with fireballs, fire snake, dragon's breath, chain lightning, etc.,
I have an alchemist and bard with me and they have most of the utility stuff covered already

Sharpedge

Prophet

Arcane:
  • Icy Prison
  • Expeditious Retreat

what spells do you consider essential but not underrated?
I typically don't play arcane casters in D&D so I'm not sure which spells I should be using, I've mainly been using him to pew pew with fireballs, fire snake, dragon's breath, chain lightning, etc.,
I have an alchemist and bard with me and they have most of the utility stuff covered already

From a solo PoV, almost all of the buff spells:
  • Shield
  • Mage Armour
  • Expeditious Retreat
  • Sense Vitals
  • Mirror Image
  • Reduce Person
  • Resist Energy (great early on, won't use this later)
  • Haste
  • Greater Invisibility (you don't need displacement since this is better)
  • All the Heroisms, eventually you will be using Greater Heroism
  • Legendary Proportions
  • Seamantle
  • Dragonform III (I and II aren't that good)
  • Fiery Body
Then if you have a pet, Greater Polymorph and Animal Growth.

As far as damage and CC spells go, the following:

• Magic Missiles (with spell specialization early on)
  • Stinking Cloud
  • Fireball
  • Dragon's Breath
  • Cloudkill
  • Icy Prison
  • Sirocco (1 of the strongest spells in the game)
  • Caustic Eruption
  • Stormbolts
  • Icy Prison, Mass

Grease is good, but I don't consider it to be essential.

I would need to refresh my memory to go over the divine spells list, but the most prominent 2 I can remember are Polar Midnight and Blade Barrier.

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
Floor 35 onwards has been nothing but Greater Autumn Golems and Skillfully Made Gold Golems. I never thought I would see a monster distribution that would make me want to fight the wild hunt again. I expect my eventual death will be to an unlucky roll on prismatic spray from the gold golems.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Playing solo makes it easy for a save-or-suck spell to ruin your day
Indeed it does. I am considering just leaving my character at the door to each zone and then clearing the zones with a fully buffed pet, this way, Being unlucky on dice rolls in combat is not an immediate failure. That or I will just recruit 5 more companions and clear through this faster.

Yosharian

Arcane

Arcane:
  • Icy Prison
  • Expeditious Retreat

Can you go into more detail on the pet thing? Are you saying it's better to NOT have a Smilodon, then cast Greater Polymorph on it?

Sharpedge

Prophet

Arcane:
  • Icy Prison
  • Expeditious Retreat

Can you go into more detail on the pet thing? Are you saying it's better to NOT have a Smilodon, then cast Greater Polymorph on it?
By changing a Smilodon into a Dragon, you do not gain any additional attacks in the process, you have the same number of attacks, but just the extra stats a dragon would have. If you turn a different pet into a Dragon, you gain up to the same number of attacks as a Smilodon, but you also gain the superior base stats of whatever pet you happen to have. I prefer to take the dog, since it gives you trip. A tripping Dragon is nice to have.

Yosharian

Arcane

Arcane:
  • Icy Prison
  • Expeditious Retreat

By changing a Smilodon into a Dragon, you do not gain any additional attacks in the process, you have the same number of attacks, but just the extra stats a dragon would have. If you turn a different pet into a Dragon, you gain up to the same number of attacks as a Smilodon, but you also gain the superior base stats of whatever pet you happen to have. I prefer to take the dog, since it gives you trip. A tripping Dragon is nice to have.
Interesting.

What if I don't give a shit about trip?

Sharpedge

Prophet

Arcane:
  • Icy Prison
  • Expeditious Retreat

Interesting.

What if I don't give a shit about trip?
Probably a Leopard. The trip is really nice to have though and makes a huge difference on higher difficulties.

Reinhardt

Arcane
So any good mods before i start?
Installed arcana for portrait management, martial something and tb mode.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Floor 35 onwards has been nothing but Greater Autumn Golems and Skillfully Made Gold Golems. I never thought I would see a monster distribution that would make me want to fight the wild hunt again. I expect my eventual death will be to an unlucky roll on prismatic spray from the gold golems.
Forget I said this.
unknown.png
6 Wild Hunt Monarchs in 1 room.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane

One of the best companions due to the fact that she is two companions in one which you can freely swap between after their first personal quest which you can solve right at the start of act 2. Never really got into romance so no idea.

Edit 1:
So any good mods before i start?
Installed arcana for portrait management, martial something and tb mode.

Eldritch Arcana, Advanced Martial Arts and Crafting Magic Items.They can all be found on Nexus. There is an update from github for Eldritch Arcana. If you really cannot stand RTwP there is a turn based mod if you so desire. Never tried it myself but it seems to work well. Use the Unity Mod Manager to get the mods running.

Edit 2: Here is the link for the EE update for Eldritch Arcana: https://github.com/Redjordan/pathfinder-mods/releases/tag/0.9.6.1

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom