Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just change outer to inner and you got a new IP. Problem solved!

Duraframe300

Arcane
That's what they said in this interview: https://gamedaily.biz/article/98/ta...ry-somewhat-sadly-falling-prey-to-sequel-itis

Worosz made it clear that the developers Private Division works with will maintain their IP rights. That said, Private Division keeps long-term rights to publish sequels.

But the exact nature of these rights (exclusive or not?) is unclear.

Thank you. Imo, regardless it would come down to what Microsoft decides to do.

1 - Can the franchise.
2 - Continue working with Private Division/Take Two
3 - Buy the publishing right.

I can't see Private Division passing up on the chance for publishing a sequel. 2 might end up too much of a headache, especially since at least the majority of profits would go to Take2. Of course Microsoft could negotiate something there, but again seems just more of a headache, possible making 3 even the cheapest option.

Whatever Microsoft decides, they should do it fast depending on their expectations of Outer Worlds appeal. If it does end up successful that just means Take2 holds more negotiating power in the long run.

The Real Fanboy
Microsoft bought the full rights for Psychonauts 2 for $13 million so will probably maybe just do the same when it comes to Outer Worlds 2!

Quillon

Arcane
The issue is that the rights to make a sequel are tied up with Take-Two Interactive.

As long as its "Tide up with Take-Two Interactive", its a one off franchise, unless PD bothers to hire another studio to make sequels, which somehow I don't think likely :P

What he did not mention was the fact that the original deal they made with PD allows PD first publishing rights to any sequels. So PD still could own those rights.

so will probably maybe just do the same when it comes to Outer Worlds 2!

Most likely they already did otherwise it would be too complicated developing sequels for 2 publishers, who funds what? why would MS submit their studio to develop games for another publisher? ToW1 was a special case imo. And Cainarsky has been too comfortable for their sequel "wishes" for a deal up in the air.

Last edited:

Whipped Cream

Learned
Patron
Thank you. Imo, regardless it would come down to what Microsoft decides to do.

1 - Can the franchise.
2 - Continue working with Private Division/Take Two
3 - Buy the publishing right.

I can't see Private Division passing up on the chance for publishing a sequel. 2 might end up too much of a headache, especially since at least the majority of profits would go to Take2. Of course Microsoft could negotiate something there, but again seems just more of a headache, possible making 3 even the cheapest option.

Whatever Microsoft decides, they should do it fast depending on their expectations of Outer Worlds appeal. If it does end up successful that just means Take2 holds more negotiating power in the long run.

Option 2 is very unlikely imo. Something that some people seam to be forgetting is that TakeTwo has very little real negotiation power. Either they sell the sequel rights to Microsoft and make some money or they don't and make no money. Microsoft will never agree to option 2 and TakeTwo can't make a sequel without Microsoft since Microsoft owns the rights to the franchise. So TakeTwo will probably settle with Microsoft for a relatively low amount of money.

In the event that the game is a flop everyone will just shrug their shoulders and no further Outer Worlds games will be made. If the game is a big hit TakeTwo will be able to demand more money, but the game being a big hit would also make Microsoft think "Holy moly, we actually have a first party franchise other than Halo that people actually care about" and they'll go out of their way to aquire the sequel rights regardless of how much money TakeTwo wants. Remember that Microsoft have very deep pockets. They spent 2.5 billion dollars on aquiring the Minecraft IP for instance. Buying the rights for a sequel from TakeTwo is peanuts in comparison.

For the record I don't expect the game to be a flop nor a smash success. I expect it to basically "do allright".

The Real Fanboy

Pillars of Eternity has such the iconic soundtrack so if Justin thinks Outer Worlds is the best sounding ever the sci-fi frontier must be dripping in too good atmosphere!!!

Quillon

Arcane
Speaking of sound, those audio-commercials lost & forgotten, they gave a different feel than what we're seeing atm, I don't know how would they fit the game now if they are still in.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Speaking of sound, those audio-commercials lost & forgotten, they gave a different feel than what we're seeing atm, I don't know how would they fit the game now if they are still in.

Well presumably they are still in. Terra2 is a different place after all.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Flou

Arbiter
Obsidian has seriously beefed up their audio department, so it's not a surprise that the game will sound better or that Justin is confident that the game will have some sweet sweet sounds.

The Real Fanboy
I don't expect the game to be a flop nor a smash success. I expect it to basically "do allright".

If you listen to what Phil Spencer said when he was interviewed by this old dude:

If your game is on Game Pass expect to have millions playing it as soon as it comes through on the playlist! Outer Worlds is already a success before it even releases just being a fresh-faced day 1 Game Pass release!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well, there definitly is social commentary like in Fallout,
7HKQRRZ.png

FWIW, this doc was written for marketing and management people.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game is coming to Steam on October 2020. The question is, if you've already bought the game before then, will you have to pay again to get it on Steam? Here's the email I sent to Private Division:

Hello,

As we all know, your games The Outer Worlds and Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey will not be launching on Steam this year due to a deal made with Epic Games.

I was wondering whether you're aware that other publishers that have signed deals with Epic have been able to get more favorable terms.

For example:

Ubisoft's Anno 1800 was an Epic-exclusive, but remained available for pre-order on Steam until the game was released. Those who pre-ordered received the game on Steam on release day.

Your own parent company's game Borderlands 3 is an Epic exclusive for only six months, not a full year.

And now, the indie studio Klei Entertainment has reached a deal wherein those who buy their upcoming game Griftlands on the Epic Games Store will receive free Steam keys when it launches on Steam next year. (source)

This third arrangement especially seems to me like a no-brainer compromise. Why should your customers have to pay for the game twice if they eventually want to own it on Steam? I feel like this would go a long way towards mollifying PC fans who are currently extremely upset about the deal that you've made.

If you're unable to grant free Steam keys to every single person who buys the game on PC under the terms of your deal with Epic, another option would to be give the keys only to those who pre-order. This would be a smaller number of people, but would address the concerns of the most hardcore fans who are the most likely to pre-order in the first place.

Please consider this. The Outer Worlds is a highly anticipated game and it deserves better publicity than what it's gotten over the past two months. This would be your way of breaking back into the public consciousness.

Thanks for reading.

Contact details here: https://www.privatedivision.com/contact/

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Heh, direct download from their own site?: https://store.privatedivision.com/en_US/docs/faq

How does digital delivery work?
Digital delivery is a purchase and download system, which allows you to instantly get your product onto your computer, avoiding the hassle of going physically to a store. Once your purchase is completed, you will receive instructions by email to easily download and install your product.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I suppose that it isn’t DRM free?
It's all p. bizarre. It can't be an EGS key because keys are not a thing on EGS. It can't be a Steam key either. And Private Division doesn't have their own launcher. So it's what, a simple offline installer like you get on GOG? Or inb4 PD's own launcher announcement?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Isnt Windows Store exclusive game doesn't have .exe to begin with and just kinda launch?

I remember Dead State 2 not having an actual .exe to be cracked but require making a shortcut of somesort emulating Windows Store launching the game. TOW will probably use the same system on Microsoft store?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom