Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered

Tigranes

Arcane
While the draw system was very badly implemented, it's pretty easy to just play without a huge amount of draw grinding or cheesing. You should never actually be experiencing such idiotic grinding, since you'd either be (1) just getting on with the game and being plenty powerful enough, or (2) quitting.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And eventually the real grind for magic n shit was Triple Triad cards and rare items. Also super-not-enjoyable, but not as bad as the early game where you Draw hundreds of times.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
whether you play it intelligently (aka "just break the game bro") or stupidly (aka draw forever), the game is terrible nonetheless.

I'm looking forward to the new threat mod of FF8, the guy did a good job with FF7. Shame that it was already in development for the non-remastered version

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The entire problem is really just how Junction works, even just changing it to not care about the size of the spell stack would be a major improvement, and the way level ups and enemy scaling work. If these things weren't there, it actually has a pretty fun combat system in its core. It's that its character progression system is batshit insane.

As far the other stuff regarding FFVIII and its rep, in my recent replay I figured that there's a very specific part of the story that makes the whole thing seem like far more of a mess than it is: Which is that there's so much shit going on that isn't tied to the other shit going on. Case examples would really be the OTHER big bad witch that's imprisoned on a satellite, and that monsters come from the Moon and there's a thingathing that makes them come down from the Moon. Now I don't what the fuck should be done in regards to the Moon monsters, but what could fix a lot is if all the Witches (well, when they become Witches) would really just be possession targets of the Witch from the end-of-the-world distant future, so that all ties together instead of there being an unrelated second big bad Witch.

Tigranes

Arcane
FF6-9 never had an amazing battle system, it was always decently fun enough to keep the rest of the game moving along. I appreciated that 8 tried to pursue perhaps the most customisable character building system in an FF game since 5, and even in its current state, there's scope to plan and modify and synergise your guys' attributes and skills in ways that you can't in 7 & 9.

Story-wise, time travel is time travel, i.e. it fucks everything it touches. 8's never going to really compare well to 6,7 or 9, but since the franchise stopped being decent after X and we will probably never get good FFs again...

laclongquan

Arcane
FF7 you are matured elite SOLDIER-kun.
FF8 you are barely out of Highschool soldier for hire.
Yeah many weaboos are very butthurt about that.

FF8 set the stage for barely legal playable character in a highschool environment. 10 is returning to that mold but doesnt work since the environment is medieval (combi of both 8 and 9).

hexer

FF7 you are matured elite SOLDIER-kun.
FF8 you are barely out of Highschool soldier for hire.
Yeah many weaboos are very butthurt about that.

We're talking about late 90s and gamers who were teenagers back then.
Those teens grew up on 80s action movies.

Weaboo wasn't even a word back then.. they emerged simultaneously with the emo movement / post dotcom boom in the later years.

So yeah, there were people back then who didn't want a highschool drama from what I've seen first hand.

ZeniBot

Cipher
FF7 you are a delusional man with split personalities that thinks he's a capable mercenary for hire but occasionally turns into a whiny emo bitch and occasionally cross dresses.

That would be a far more better description of cloud. He also has involuntary muscle movements. "DON'T GIVE HIM THE BLACK MATERIA CLOUD!" "Did you say give him the black materia.. OK!" "NO THAT CAUSES THE APOCALYPSE CLOUD! STOP!"

FF8 would've been better if it went through the idea of being a child soldier better and you see the effects of that conditioning later in Squalls life, instead "Ok you're 18 now bitch, congrats you can now lead a military operation" to "What do you mean our headquaters is about to be nuked?! damn it! this is why you don't promote 18 year olds to leadership positions Dead Poets SOCIETY!!!"

The new ATB system FF7 remake has looks like pure decline. Its shaping up to be very much another Fallout Tactics style of fuck up where most people will just play it with the real-time mode and ignore the RT+P mode.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
For all its many weaknesses I had a good time with this game and must have replayed it two or three times in my life. The music is, as always, outstanding, and while entire volumes have been written about how dumb or smart (depending on your perspective) the story is, I enjoyed it.

The Draw system is, of course, horrifying.

Deleted member 7219

The best part of 8 was before Squall left the Garden.

The majority of the game should have been school stuff. Go to lessons, hang out with your friends, go on military ops around the world.

Mind you, Trails of Cold Steel has done that since and done it really well.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Besides Draw and Junction system the game was fine.

All in all I find more enjoyment playing 8 than 7, if only just because 7 feels like such a wasted potential after leaving Midgard.

jungl

Augur
The best part of 8 was before Squall left the Garden.

The majority of the game should have been school stuff. Go to lessons, hang out with your friends, go on military ops around the world.

Mind you, Trails of Cold Steel has done that since and done it really well.

Thank god final fantasy 8 didn't go that route. If I want to watch second rate anime story there thousands of options available.

Hassar

Scholar
I have fond memories of the game but as others have said, the combat system and draw system sucked (I like magic characters but spells are inefficient in this game), the story definitely falls apart when they trot in a random ending boss and the memory crap comes into play, and not enough time was spent developing the other party members so it does read as standard anime-tripe stereotypes.

Hassar

Scholar
The new ATB system FF7 remake has looks like pure decline. Its shaping up to be much another Fallout Tactics style of fuck up where most people will just play it with the real-time mode and ignore the RT+P mode.

I totally agree. I am pretty tired of these game makers hyping up rehashed combat systems as if they are doing something new. At this point, I really would like to see more experimentation with deeper levels of interactivity - not just graphical upgrades and tweaking combat systems. We’ll remain last gen until developers take the idea of simulating an entire adventure more seriously.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Squall could've fukked Quistis at any time yet remained clueless aspie in front of her the entire game. Hirarious game.

Hassar

Scholar
Squall could've fukked Quistis at any time yet remained clueless aspie in front of her the entire game. Hirarious game.

Quistis is definitely the superior romantic choice. Rinoa and her dumb boomerang wrist weapon thing sucked. I knew I would dislike her when she started bringing her dog into combat situations and this was magnified when she shot her dog at enemies as an ultimate attack.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Eh, Squall was competent.

FF8-you-da-man-squall.jpg

Remember to take this with utmost seriousness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom