Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Swen replied to the "RTwP or TB" question in some panel and said "I think people will be happy". Makes me believe players will be able to pick RTwP or TB, which means Arcanum/M&M tier disaster incoming.
Doubt.

Like I said earlier in the thread, believing they will provide both casual and tactical combat systems is like expecting them to make two games in one, because the combat system is the defining system of an RPG. I just don't imagine that happening.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They want to add multiplayer. This is 100% clear.

How would RTwP work in multiplayer? It would be a clusterfuck. Does Larian want a clusterfuck? No.

If you can't use your head, at least use your common sense.
I don't know if you followed D:OS2's development but they were marketing the coop multiplayer as a cornerstone feature of the game, pretty much as the main mode in which the game is meant to be played.

I don't know if you guys realize how deep into the shit the genre is about to be gragged by Larian with BG3. They are working on a field which they have already plowed ("ploughed") with D:OS/2.

Just to illustrate how important coop is to them - I have two colleagues at work who upon learning about BG3, immediately asked me if I'll be buying it so we can play coop together. Mind you, neither of them cared to know what the combat system would be. Because of D:OS2 which they've both played, they expect something similar, but this time in the "BG world". I literally had to show them on the map where Baldur's Gate is, and where the Sword Coast is. We are talking about people who play WoW together once in a while, and whose first experience with "serious RPGs" is D:OS2! "Serious" to their mind is anything that's isometric and not MMO. One of them is in his 40s, has played BG2 long ago, and really liked it, but doesn't remember much from it. So, that's the kind of audience which will be buying BG3. And this is how Swen just made 2 sales solely on the promise of "coop" and "Baldur's Gate 3".

Doubt.

Like I said earlier in the thread, believing they will provide both casual and tactical combat systems is like expecting them to make two games in one, because the combat system is the defining system of an RPG. I just don't imagine that happening.
"Mixed options" translate more often than not in "the worst of both worlds".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Retards that want for BG to be TB

I don't think it would be better overall in RTwP, since its not designed to be one but I prefer it RTwP anyway, so FUCK TB as I've been saying for 3 years but its gonna be TB, you have to be absolute delusional to not see it coming; for one thing co-op wouldn't work in RTwP, pure RT akshun is a better possibility than RTwP but its gonna be TB, yo, really.
It will most likely be a TB or something like dragon age. The chances of being isometric rtwp are slim to none. I honestly don't care about the spergfest between tb and rtwp fans,i just hate when established franchises change their core mechanics. TB have no place in a BG game the same way Fallout game should't be rtwp!

AwesomeButton

Patron
It will most likely be a TB or something like dragon age. The chances of being isometric rtwp are slim to none. I honestly don't care about the spergfest between tb and rtwp fans,i just hate when established franchises change their core mechanics. TB have no place in a BG game the same way Fallout game should't be rtwp!
I'd be happy to play an isometric fixed-perspective camera RPG with turn based combat, employing 5th ed D&D and with a story set on the Sword Coast. If for you the RtwP system is a defining feature of a BG game, ok. Me, I don't mind going turn-based, as long as the other conditions are fulfilled.

Ziggy

Scholar
Fuck to sword coast! Who gives a shit about sword coast. There's so much more interesting stuff in FR, why stay there? Every time a D&D videogame strayed from it, it was better for it, obviously, dark sun and ravenloft games, and for forgotten realms: best NWN expansion is in Underdark, best NWN2 is Rashemen, best parts of BGII are all over the place.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Also, this must be a prequel going by that explanation. He's talking about the dead three CURRENTLY being mortal etc.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a freaking prequel. smh

edit:
From the YT comments:
What Adam was talking about happened after the Sundering, which was the transition to 5e.
5e queers want to comment on this? 5e was too homosexual for me.
edit:
Infinitron explain this shit pls, I haven't paid attention to D&D for years and even with the older editions, I'm not well versed as many here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ziggy

Scholar
i dont have a map in front of me just vague memories of where everything is relatively to waterdeep

hexer

hexer

I'll have to catch up on my FR lore.
So much shit happened even Ed Greenwood's lost

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Also, this must be a prequel going by that explanation. He's talking about the dead three CURRENTLY being mortal etc.

Baldur's Gate 3 is a freaking prequel. smh

edit:
From the YT comments:
What Adam was talking about happened after the Sundering, which was the transition to 5e.
5e queers want to comment on this? 5e was too homosexual for me.
edit:
Infinitron explain this shit pls, I haven't paid attention to D&D for years and even with the older editions, I'm not well versed as many here.

Myrkul is a straight-out god, and is serving Kelemvor alongside Jergal. Bane is also a god.
Bhaal is really the biggest shocker for me and what I'm most curious about.

Bhaal returned, not as a mortal nor a god (he doesn't have a portfolio of his own), but some sort of weak, immortal spirit, who can only subtly influence people and events. Basically Sauron in his guise as the Necromancer.
Ah. Cool. What about <Charname> from BG1&2? Any canon on that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom