Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ziggy

Scholar
there is a lot of conflicting canon on CHARNAME and its been discussed in this thread some thirty pages ago or so. better not think about it. thats a warning: better not think about that too much

a cut of domestic sheep prime

To the people posting "what": both Bane and Myrkul as yet again gods: Bane by reincarnating/consuming his child, Iyatchu Xvim (who had a cameo in Icewind Dale 2); Myrkul was restored after the Second Sundering.
According to the video though, all the dead 3 are CURRENTLY mortal, so maybe this is before or during that period when Mykul and Bane are still trying to restore themselves.

Ziggy

Scholar
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/swordflight-chapter-one

Have you heard about that? Don't know if any Codex posters/bloggers have brought it up before.

Oh this? Looks great. Weird that no blogger posted about it in this thread, or NWN module thread. Surely no blogger never brought it up in Pillars threads either. Never made great claims about their writing abilities while putting out videogame commentary. That would be weird, right?

I liked the first chapter of Swordflight. Dropped in the second one in Calimport sewers. Got bored.

To the people posting "what": both Bane and Myrkul as yet again gods: Bane by reincarnating/consuming his child, Iyatchu Xvim (who had a cameo in Icewind Dale 2); Myrkul was restored after the Second Sundering.
According to the video though, all the dead 3 are CURRENTLY mortal, so maybe this is before or during that period when Mykul and Bane are still trying to restore themselves.

No, the guy in the video simply has no fucking idea what he's talking about.
well that part should have been obvious, yeah. :M

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I can't believe it. They send an employee of D&D for an interview, which is supposed to be related to Baldur's Gate III, so he KNOWS they're going to ask about Bhaal, The Dead Three, and maybe the Avatar Crisis. He takes notes to the interview, which obviously someone made for him, since it contains a bunch of nonsense, and blindly regurgitates them. You literally have to read the book "The Dead Three" in Baldur's Gate I to have all the necessary information for this interview, which would take about 2 minutes.

Adam Lee, he's not just an employee, as mentioned in this thread before:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Any gameplay yet?
No. There is only intro snippet.
maxresdefault.jpg
:happytrollboy:

there is a lot of conflicting canon on CHARNAME and its been discussed in this thread some thirty pages ago or so. better not think about it. thats a warning: better not think about that too much

Yep, it's a fucking mess of contradictions. The only good news is that the "Abdel Adrian" from the novels has been discarded completely. Those books are non-canon, thank God.
oh and I'd just like to follow up on this.

since this is BG3, I'm sure that people are going to want to know what happened to <charname> in some way. Completely ignoring it would be a mistake.

I wonder if they'll try some Revan/KOTOR style plot where the PC is the reincarnation or descendant of <charname> or something?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Co-op is fun. D:OS has great co-op.

I tried to play D:OS1 co-op with a friend of mine a couple of years ago, we were both extremely bored by the experience by the time we got to the lighthouse, and I was bored through most of it. The VA didn't help and was just slowing down the gameplay, so we skipped 90% of the dialogue and I was explaining to him the gist of what we are doing. We played on the PC with controllers, but this was the first time I had used a controller since I was literally a child when I owned a Sega Genesis, and the controls were extremely finicky and foreign to me. I don't know how people can play through the entire thing and enjoy it.

Bad and skippable VA + nightmare inventory management + writing so horrendous you can't invest yourselves + very slow combat, especially with controllers + the item system that more often than not makes one of you overpowered compared to the other, feeling like you aren't contributing as much (yeah, you can circumvent this a bit with crafting maybe) + level scaling = bad co-op experience, even with this friend who I've played games for years with. I can't imagine D:OS2 being any different, but now with the added factor of having to wait for the other one to finish his origin character dialogues.

Farewell into the night

There will never be a true Baldur's Gate III. Those days are gone and lost forever.
We will get a game that is titled Baldur's Gate III, made by different people in different times.
I'm not saying it's bad. If the game will be good or a masterpiece, then good for us, but it will NEVER BE a Baldur's Gate game.
NEVER EVER and Swen Wicke if you read this, good luck with project, Godspeed you and your team, but your not making a BG game, you think you do, but you're not <3

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Circle jerk job hiring. Think of all the poeple you know with smarts, talent, and Dnd lore. Now imagine the focus groups and retards all sitting together and writing up politically correct bullet points for idiots like that to shoehorn into the interview. Then consider that those points (extremism, the symbols, etc) was more important than engaging people with their talent and the lore; like almost everybody else with a brain would do if they had talent, knew the lore, and had a working brain...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We will get a game that is titled Baldur's Gate III, made by different people in different times.
Life is a flat circle:

Like I said some time ago:
It's a mistake for you to think of this upcoming game, if it is even coming, as of a Baldur's Gate III. It's been 17 years. Different people will make a different game for a different audience. And yes, probably slap a "Baldur's Gate III" logo to it, but what does that change? It won't give you 15 years back.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Somehow, this just keeps getting worse.
Ohh just wait for the FPS announcement.
Travel the was underworld and do different missions,upgrade your towers and mow down hordes of savage mind flayers. Experience our dismantlement physics and fall in love with our shotgun!

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried to play D:OS1 co-op with a friend of mine a couple of years ago, we were both extremely bored by the experience by the time we got to the lighthouse, and I was bored through most of it.
Yeah, if you don't like the game in the first place you won't enjoy co-oping it. Shocker.
the item system that more often than not makes one of you overpowered compared to the other, feeling like you aren't contributing as much (yeah, you can circumvent this a bit with crafting maybe)
This is a very strange complaint. I felt that the utility of the different skill trees complemented each other very well and were useful throughout, even when a new sword for our man-at-arms or bow/crossbow for our marksman hadn't materialised in a few levels, and for all the magic skills items don't even enter into the equation. DOS 2 is about a billion times worse in this regard due to the armour system.
level scaling
There is no level scaling in D:OS outside the crafting system.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, if you don't like the game in the first place you won't enjoy co-oping it. Shocker.
Paradoxically, yes. D:OS2 is not a game I would play in SP - nothing about it is engaging or enjoyable - plot, writing, characters, mechanics. But for goofing around with friends who alleviate the possibility that I would pay much attention to the game's shittyness, it's good enough.

Curratum

The biggest issue to me is, Mearls and WotC are primarily marketing D&D tabletop products to people who pay 100 dollars for art commissions such as this:

ZHo0IMV.jpg

Looking at various Facebook, forum and reddit D&D 5E communities over the last 3-4 years, D&D 5E the tabletop game seems to be primarily used as a medium for the queers, socially challenged and the furries to live out their fantasies. It no longer has anything to do with what IE games were about in spirit and tone, nor with the tone that even most current 5E modules try to set. If WotC pushes Larian towards designing a "diverse" fantasy toolkit for weebs and furries, things may turn out a lot worse than the popamole game many of you fear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom