Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Gerrard

Arcane
The new system designer guy (who I assume is responsible for this stuff, mostly) worked at Turbine on Asheron's Call and then DDO. Apparently he's also the one who did the refinement system rework, introducing the refinement points and removing the need to hoard shit just for it.

By the way, they even had a cinematic trailer for the last big mod

Sharpedge

Prophet
Oh sshit there are reworks?

I haven't played for about half a year. Any new professions/skils/talents?
Everything you knew about the game prior to M16 is pretty much irrelevant. Here is the tl;dr:

• The level cap has been raised to 80.
  • The feats and powers menu has been merged into a single menu.
  • You have have 5 binary choices of feats, similar to the old boons menu.
  • The boons menu has been reworked. Instead of having a set of boons for each campaign, each campaign gives you 4-5 boon points, which are then spent on any boons of your choice from a single menu.
  • Level scaling is in effect in every single zone.
  • Lifesteal, Recovery and Regeneration have been removed from the game.
  • Awareness (counter rating to combat advantage), Critical Strike Resistance and accuracy (counter rating to Deflection) have been added to the game.
  • Damage Reduction and Critical Strike chance are now both capped at 50%, down from 80% and 100% respectively.
  • Monsters now have Deflection, Awareness and Critical Strike Resistance.
The professions menu is largely untouched, but won't play much of a role in your progression. Oh, also combat will be a LOT slower than before. It is quite tedious now.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Oh sshit there are reworks?

I haven't played for about half a year. Any new professions/skils/talents?
Everything you knew about the game prior to M16 is pretty much irrelevant. Here is the tl;dr:

• The level cap has been raised to 80.
  • The feats and powers menu has been merged into a single menu.
  • You have have 5 binary choices of feats, similar to the old boons menu.
  • The boons menu has been reworked. Instead of having a set of boons for each campaign, each campaign gives you 4-5 boon points, which are then spent on any boons of your choice from a single menu.
  • Awareness (counter rating to combat advantage), Critical Strike Resistance and accuracy (counter rating to Deflection) have been added to the game.
  • Damage Reduction and Critical Strike chance are now both capped at 50%, down from 80% and 100% respectively.
  • Monsters now have Deflection, Awareness and Critical Strike Resistance.
The professions menu is largely untouched, but won't play much of a role in your progression. Oh, also combat will be a LOT slower than before. It is quite tedious now.
I stopped around the beginning of the Ravenloft area.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Um... I don't really care until they buff whisperknife hahahah
They did, treat module 16 as a new game.
oh SHIT, I guess Ravenloft was 13-14?

Shit, I'm okay with a workign Whisperknife.

Edit: All those stats/ability tweaks... Honestly people adapt. People found meta before in an already unbalanced game, they'll find another way. TBH maybe it was TOO much min-maxing calculation with lifestael and etc etc etc.

That doesn't mean to "streamline" things. Analogy: I prefer the idea of uninstalling applications that have no use except add complexity and tediousness, and then doing a defragmentation so shit goes smoothly.

Zeriel

Arcane

Wow, I already would have never returned to the game, but this has to be the most decline changes I've ever heard of in an MMO.

Sharpedge

Prophet

Wow, I already would have never returned to the game, but this has to be the most decline changes I've ever heard of in an MMO.
It was funny to watch the forums for this game when the module was announced, it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. I don't think anyone thought these changes were a good idea and yet they went through with them anyhow.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

I'm not seeing huge changes here...

By zone I assume open world zone, but again that's a mislead. The main time you spend in the game is in dungeons, raids, or max level open world content. I assume the level scaling is so that higher level characters can't "rush" low level ones. Not that I've ever known that existed as an issue. But unless they are level scaling in skirmishes and dungeons.

The rest... are just numbers that I have no idea would work. Won't really know since there are so many mechanics changes there you'd have to see how things turn out post implementation.

Zeriel

Arcane
The thing that made me lose interest in the game way back before they even had "modules" was them axing the whole player-created content concept right after release, that was the main thing that made me want to try it in the first place, and I thought the identity of the franchise anyway. Its surreal to see them still plugging along after all this time.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The thing that made me lose interest in the game way back before they even had "modules" was them axing the whole player-created content concept right after release, that was the main thing that made me want to try it in the first place, and I thought the identity of the franchise anyway. Its surreal to see them still plugging along after all this time.
100% agreed. In fact, I forgot until you reminded me right now. Because I did want to make my own.

Zeriel

Arcane
Also I just want to point out that lifesteal/recovery/regeneration were indeed a big deal. They were used frequently when the game was new in PVP, I forget whether it was actual gear having it or those super-expensive high level gems you could socket into stuff, but I remember having a ton of regen/lifesteal in PVP and it playing a major role.

In addition, I think level scaling is always decline, even when people argue it isn't a defining feature. Designed zones with designed experiences > algorithms.

Sharpedge

Prophet

By zone I assume open world zone, but again that's a mislead. The main time you spend in the game is in dungeons, raids, or max level open world content. I assume the level scaling is so that higher level characters can't "rush" low level ones. Not that I've ever known that existed as an issue. But unless they are level scaling in skirmishes and dungeons.

The rest... are just numbers that I have no idea would work. Won't really know since there are so many mechanics changes there you'd have to see how things turn out post implementation.
Everywhere, not just in open world zones and the way they implemented scaling is... Well, I don't know how a sane person could think it was a good idea. It is not as a percentage reduction, or anything like that. No, they just applied hard caps to every item type for each zone. So for example, in the first tier of dungeon, any enchantment rank above rank 8 gets scaled down to rank 8. The purpose of the module is to create the illusion that you have choice, when in reality you have none. You cannot escape a set of boundries that they have imposed on every single zone.

It's funny really, I only played this game because I had some friends who also played it, so it was kind of a social draw more than anything else, but we all unanimously quit with the release of this module.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Also I just want to point out that lifesteal/recovery/regeneration were indeed a big deal. They were used frequently when the game was new in PVP, I forget whether it was actual gear having it or those super-expensive high level gems you could socket into stuff, but I remember having a ton of regen/lifesteal in PVP and it playing a major role.
Big deal when you quit... You're 16 modules behind, which means you've missed a good amount of flip-flop changes.

For example, there was a huge meta problem with double Cleric parties a Paladin oaths that synergized with so much shit that bascially your number one stat was Health because it scaled into damage via Paladin oath.

Edit: Ah here it is

Mistake taking action advantage over toughness. AA is weak, not a good gain in AP at all. Having more hit points means doing more damage from paladins Aura of Courage. It’s based on your health points.
https://nw.mmominds.com/2017/12/17/shavas-pve-trickster-rogue-build-mod-12-5/

Yeah, don't even consider the stats as they were before. Or don't even consider the stats to reflect the names of their respective stats.

But level scaling in dungeons is fuckign stupid so criticize NWOnline all you want.

Edit: Also TR got nerfed to shti IN M12 or sometign. I think I only came back for M13

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Everywhere, not just in open world zones and the way they implemented scaling is... Well, I don't know how a sane person could think it was a good idea. It is not as a percentage reduction, or anything like that. No, they just applied hard caps to every item type for each zone. So for example, in the first tier of dungeon, any enchantment rank above rank 8 gets scaled down to rank 8. The purpose of the module is to create the illusion that you have choice, when in reality you have none. You cannot escape a set of boundries that they have imposed on every single zone.

It's funny really, I only played this game because I had some friends who also played it, so it was kind of a social draw more than anything else, but we all unanimously quit with the release of this module.
...Why the fuck.. ..

Actually I do remember some concern about high level characters rushing through dungeons to farm shit. (Better fix would be an alternative method, eh?)

Still. I played Whisperknife. If there has been any buffs to Whisperknfie I'll take it.

Edit: Also, how does this affect "end-game" content. (Or rather, end-game zones).

It seems like the "level scaled" in terms of your item level/power level (whatever it was called). I have no idea if rushing became that big of a problem, I know I heard a complaint every now and then when I played.. last year or os.

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet

...Why the fuck.. ..

Actually I do remember some concern about high level characters rushing through dungeons to farm shit. (Better fix would be an alternative method, eh?)

Still. I played Whisperknife. If there has been any buffs to Whisperknfie I'll take it.

They failed at pretty much all their intended goals with module 16. The goals of the module were as follows:

• Rein power creep in. Players were capping every single statistic before module 16.
  • Make dungeons challenging for the top tier groups.
  • Balance the classes.
  • Balance buffs.

They failed on 3 out of 4 counts. It is even easier to cap statistics now, you can do it with the default gear they hand you for reaching level 80, without any enchantments slotted. Pretty much everyone facerolls the dungeons now, not just the top rated groups and as expected, there are still classes desired over others. The only reason they managed to succeed at "balancing buffs" is because they removed all the buffs from the game, so there are no buffs to balance.

For reference, I was invited, along with 19 other people to alpha test this module. We all told them before the module went live that this was not going to work and was a bad idea and they went ahead and did it anyhow. It's funny really, my character, which is still level 70 and has not done any of the new content is capped on all of his ratings for all of the new content without even acquiring any of the new gear. In terms of statistics, I can't improve at all. They failed with their implementation of scaling to such a degree that there is no real character progression.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

...Why the fuck.. ..

They failed at pretty much all their intended goals with module 16. The goals of the module were as follows:

• Rein power creep in. Players were capping every single statistic before module 16.
  • Balance the classes.
  • Balance buffs.

They failed on 3 out of 4 counts. It is even easier to cap statistics now, you can do it with the default gear they hand you for reaching level 80, without any enchantments slotted. Pretty much everyone facerolls the dungeons now, not just the top rated groups and as expected, there are still classes desired over others. The only reason they managed to succeed at "balancing buffs" is because they removed all the buffs from the game, so there are no buffs to balance.

For reference, I was invited, along with 19 other people to alpha test this module. We all told them before the module went live that this was not going to work and was a bad idea and they went ahead and did it anyhow. It's funny really, my character, which is still level 70 and has not done any of the new content is capped on all of his ratings for all of the new content without even acquiring any of the new gear. In terms of statistics, I can't improve at all. They failed with their implementation of scaling to such a degree that there is no real character progression.
So basically everything changed in M16. Because I just read M15 notes and yeah I did play during M15. But quit before M16. Interesting.

Sharpedge

Prophet

...Why the fuck.. ..

• Balance the classes.
  • Balance buffs.

So basically everything changed in M16. Because I just read M15 notes and yeah I did play during M15. But quit before M16. Interesting.
Yes. M16 was supposed to be the big, "fix mod" where they brought the game back down to where it is "supposed" to be. They didn't succeed at their goal.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

...Why the fuck.. ..

• Balance the classes.
  • Balance buffs.

Yes. M16 was supposed to be the big, "fix mod" where they brought the game back down to where it is "supposed" to be. They didn't succeed at their goal.
lol M15 was supposed to be the big fix mod.

Aha.

Still, it's less a debacle as Marvel Heroes. Top tier Diablo-like. Especially in terms of F2P not needing microtransactions for power, just for the impatient. And it had its own shtick where they intentionally gave different mechanics to each of like ~50 characters. You can buy those characters, but you can also get them via ingame currency - so you pay or you farm, nothing much besides that. Also, they'd run 75% deals and shit and I'm like okay I'll pay $2.50 so I can replay the whole game as Nova, dozens of hours of literally free.

But the game flopped via ONE patch because of change of ownership and they tried to "consolize" things. Though, honestly, their design plans were so NOT good for consoles.. or any platform. Limiting things to one hotbar and having a tweak in structure of "talents" (which weren't so bad) didn't make it more consoley.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Oh it looks like M16 also had an impetus to transfer to 5th edition. If that's the case I can imagine a lot of chaos.

Edit: I take it back, it's still really fuckign stupid to change all mechanics of all the classes at once.

I honestly don't get it. There were some exploits, like DC/AC and Oath. Fix them. Now, tweak numbers to balance shit. The game didn't have any problems besides those.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The thing that made me lose interest in the game way back before they even had "modules" was them axing the whole player-created content concept right after release,

Wait they did? But why? The user created content for this and Start Trek was a good thing.

Several times I want to return playing just because I want to see what people did with user created quests/ IIRC there are very good ones in Star Trek

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom