Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking How should a mage's playstyle/quests be like?

Neanderthal

Arcane
Reroll as a Barbarian?

In truth though the Avatar in Ultima got this fairly spot on for me.

RickOmbo

Learned
I like how magic works in Thieves' World, it's all about knowledge and preparation.

sullynathan

Arcane
Even though all magic spells in dragon's dogma are combat focused, I like how they're not focused on buffs and nerfs like most other rpgs I've played.

V_K

Arcane
Interesting that you exclude U8, which is arguably the most magic-heavy of Ultimas and has one of the most creative magic systems.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Interesting that you exclude U8, which is arguably the most magic-heavy of Ultimas and has one of the most creative magic systems.

Never got on with the four/five elements thing, just rubs me wrong way somehow. It was creative I'll give it that. The leap of faith was taking piss though.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I would want a system similar to the magic in The Master of the Five Magics. In that universe magic is a trade like blacksmithing is, and generally is used in non-combative ways unlike dnd or something like that, though it can be if used cleverly.

Having a game mostly centered around you hiring out your services as a magic craftsman of a particular school of magic to solve problems in cleverly efficient ways would be cool imo. Help this farmer harvest his crops using magic, help your lords army spy and scout the enemy, make potions that make mining a lucrative but deadly hot shaft possible, etc.

newtmonkey

Arcane
It depends on whether we are talking about "story" based game or a tactical RPG.

For a tactical RPG, I like the idea of wizards starting out as glass cannons that get more and more powerful and ultimately end up being clearly the most powerful characters toward the end (but still completely useless if for whatever reason they cannot cast their spells). It's interesting as a gameplay mechanic, and it's also evocative of having to give up everything in pursuit of ultimate power. In this case, classic Wizardry games are tough to beat, but a lot of Wizardry like series (Bard's Tale, M&M) and of course anything that uses D&D rules works like this.

For more story-based games, nothing has topped the Quest for Glory series (and its love letters) in my opinion. Interacting with other wizards, solving puzzles with magic, it's just great.

I'd love to see a "life sim" like Taiko Risshiden series (sengoku era Japan) where you play a wizard in a Conan-esque setting where magic is a completely terrifying thing for most people, and covers everything from con men to actual wizards who have given up a part of their humanity to gain incredible power. Use some sleight of hand to bullshit your way into a position as an advisor to some warlord, and just hope that the greater resources your position provides allow you to actually learn some real magic before they figure you out.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
Best Mage LARP I've ever seen was Raistlin from the Dragonlance novels.

At the start of the first book he faints from weakness after casting a sleep spell...by the end of the last book he wizard fites a God.

I'm not sure how you translate that into a cRPG, but it was really captivating.

Last edited:

Vulpes

Scholar
Just play the Quest for Glory series if you want to see a mage playstyle done properly. It should basically revolve around three things: spells, rituals and magical artifacts of varying utility that you'd either have to research and/or gather some specific regents

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I really like JarlFrank's take on environmental interactions.

There's also ToME alchemist path which i wish was used in more cRPG (M&M VII almost did it but didn't get through).
You build and upgrade your own golem, you do it through skills and gems in ToME, the building part could be improved, of course and you could have different types of golems, like a flesh golem requiring some fresh body parts, a wood golem, a stone golem, a clay golem all having different requirements even asking some artisan's help.

Once you built it, in ToME, he fights for you and doesn't just stay idle in your castle (MM7)

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of ToME, a lot of it's class mechanics can be used as an inspiration.

I liked the demonlogist idea of using demons as a socket equipment that grants you stuff from basic resists and stat bonuses to passives and activatable abilities like the ice imp one that can pull those annoying wizards into your striking range. He can also summon these demons directly, but it's not a good idea on practice.
As an archimage/necromancer you're encouraged to actively use the arcane eye as scouting tool to avoid getting yourself into the bad position.
You also have the Paradox Mage which is just plain fun. Pushing people around with that gravity tree, teleporting yourself into your private space island in case of emergencies, triggering an anomaly that randomly teleports you across the whole map because you didn't check your paradox level.

Momock

Augur
It's quite simple in my mind: magic skills shouldn't duplicate other skills, they should be their own thing (so not about combat since we have warriors both melee and archers, not about stealth and traps since we have thieves, not about manipulating others since we have diplomats, no about movements since we have ninjas, etc). It should be about sci-fi shit you do with implants but that's magic instead because of medieval setting (freeze water, slowing time, invoke thing, softening/hardening materials, seeing the future or trough things, etc)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom