Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's fine, the best bows in the game (Longbow Repeater, Hammer and Messenger of Sseth) have a str requirement of 12. But, again, random drops so if you want them go item fishing.

Party is fine, even for insane. EE is easier than original anyway. Only HoF requires you to go full power gamer. Good call on making your figther/cleric an half-elf since the best shield of the game can only be worn by an elf or half-elf and it's good to have at least one character that can use it. I'd have made a fighter/druid just because of iron skins but it's fine. Your dwarf will tank everything for a long time anyway. Just not enough gear to lower your AC for more than one character to truly "safe" levels up until the Severed Hand or so.

I mean, technically you can even keep your thief pure. The game is only really hard up to Yxunomei. After that difficulty just drops considerably. Still, a dual fighter/thief will just be more useful, especially since this game has a bad habit dropping you into fights where even your rear will be forced to melee or flee. The tougher your characters are the better, doesn't matter their role, and more dps can help weeding out the ungoly amount of trash fights this game throws at you.

Last edited:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
octavius I still can’t kill the Death knights at the shadow vale. I can take the main mage out quickly but I get overwhelmed by Skelton’s and those knights are crazy strong. My fighters die instantly.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Turn undead to clear the map (cast invisibility on your cleric and have him stroll around with impunity) then try to pull only one death knight with you archer. After that you'll just have to cheese it through kiting him around.

Mind explain how you got those in there? Didn't see them on my last run.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I have no clue, theirs 2 death knights along with the Skelton mage and it’s hard as fuck. I’ll try what you reccomend.

My fighters are killed almost instantly with them doing 15+ damage per hit, damn.

Curratum

I just had a micro-ragequit, will continue tomorrow. Thief is at 75 find traps, moving forward relatively slowly, somehow I activate a trap I hadn't found, projectile from wall bursts into a god knows how many feet radius, 4 of my 6 dudes fall unconscious but not before the thief aggoes a verbeeg with the last pixel of opened fog of war as she steps on the trap. Verbeeg strolls in and keeps killing my KOd thief, even though another guy is hitting him in melee. :argh:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think they made those cute traps longer to find on purpose. I have no facts to back this up but i'm sure that's exactly what they did.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I have no clue, theirs 2 death knights along with the Skelton mage and it’s hard as fuck. I’ll try what you reccomend.

My fighters are killed almost instantly with them doing 15+ damage per hit, damn.

Keep in mind those things have high magic resistance so you'll have to use spells that ignore that or just have your mages do nothing from a safe distance.

Curratum

I think they made those cute traps longer to find on purpose. I have no facts to back this up but i'm sure that's exactly what they did.

This is the third time I'm activating a trap I've been standing right next to for about 2-3 seconds, so it makes me think this is exactly what's going on.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Keep in mind if you are turning find traps right before looking for traps it might take a bit for the skill to actually turn on, a second or so i'm not sure. Might want to use that script that makes your thief look for traps constantly.

Curratum

Yeah, no, I'm used to the delay, I think it starts working in at the start of your next turn on the unpaused game's clock. I'm fine with that.

agris

Arcane
Patron
There’s an EE mod that makes find traps work instantly, I haven’t personally used it but FYI.

Curratum

There’s an EE mod that makes find traps work instantly, I haven’t personally used it but FYI.

Thanks for the heads up! I am not willing to even go looking because I bought the EEs just so I can hit Install and play with no amount of further dicking around required! :D

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Even with turn-undead I can’t hurt these death knights. These guys are fucking strong, holy shit.

Curratum

Does the game change monster spawns depending on difficulty? I did the entire Shadow Valley tomb dungeon and I don't think I ran into any.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I think he’s an add on yea, but there’s 2 death knights and they have complete magic immunity along with 2 handed sword and will rip my fighters apart within seconds. Even with a full animated dead army I can’t kill him.

I have 2 mods installed.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Even with turn-undead I can’t hurt these death knights. These guys are fucking strong, holy shit.

The idea was to turn the skellies so you can pick off the knights by themselves.

What mods you got? I love shit that makes the game harder.

Xeon

Augur
Animate Dead are kinda crap in IWD1, beside their numbers they are pretty weak. Summon an animal or something instead.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

The idea was to turn the skellies so you can pick off the knights by themselves.

Aurills Bane, and the other one is item upgrades. Bro, with 6 animated undeads and all my team cannot kill one solo death knight, that’s the problem.

Cael

Arcane

Aurills Bane, and the other one is item upgrades. Bro, with 6 animated undeads and all my team cannot kill one solo death knight, that’s the problem.
What sort of weapons do you have and what is your fighter's strength? I recall that a high strength single-class fighter with two +2 blades had no problem taking out Death Knights in Durlag's. Maybe IWD is different? I don't recall it as I don't play it often. I vastly prefer IWD2.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

What sort of weapons do you have and what is your fighter's strength? I recall that a high strength single-class fighter with two +2 blades had no problem taking out Death Knights in Durlag's. Maybe IWD is different? I don't recall it as I don't play it often. I vastly prefer IWD2.
I only have access to +1 Longswords that I know of, and I have 18/70, 18/92 strength for my 2 fighters.

Cael

Arcane

I only have access to +1 Longswords that I know of, and I have 18/70, 18/92 strength for my 2 fighters.
Hmm... I think you are about +2/+3 behind in terms of to-hit and damage from strength and weapons alone. That said, I had 5 dots in my preferred weapon at that stage, and 2/3 dots in dual wield, IIRC, and so might have even higher advantages and number of attacks. And, of course, being a BG game, I had full plate + AC boosting equipment out the wazoo + Helm/Cloak of Balduran and that psycho melee gauntlets from the Firewine Bridge.

So, I think it is mainly due to differences in equipment, and that is something that you can't "fix", unfortunately.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Hmm... I think you are about +2/+3 behind in terms of to-hit and damage from strength and weapons alone. That said, I had 5 dots in my preferred weapon at that stage, and 2/3 dots in dual wield, IIRC, and so might have even higher advantages and number of attacks. And, of course, being a BG game, I had full plate + AC boosting equipment out the wazoo + Helm/Cloak of Balduran and that psycho melee gauntlets from the Firewine Bridge.

So, I think it is mainly due to differences in equipment, and that is something that you can't "fix", unfortunately.

I will probably have to savescum critical hits cause I can’t do shit beyond that. Wish me luck.

Cael

Arcane

I will probably have to savescum critical hits cause I can’t do shit beyond that. Wish me luck.
Good luck, bud. Seems like a crazy way to do it. How about just turn down the difficulty until that part is over?

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Good luck, bud. Seems like a crazy way to do it. How about just turn down the difficulty until that part is over?
I’ll probably do that. After all it is a mod addition so I don’t feel as bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom