Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
KotOR 2. Finally doing a full playthrough.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Dark souls 3 after I played it 3 years ago. Right before Farron's army I decided to do a no shield playstyle for once to see what it's like. I am using lucerne in my main hand with fire caestus in offhand, it's actually quite an enjoyable combination. The fire caestus staggers enemies with fire damage giving me openings to hit them with the lucerne. Caestus hits fast and the lucerne is slow but has reach and does a lot more damage, they work really well together. And I can parry with the caestus so I don't have to roll against everything. I just beat Yhorm and this time I did it without the storm ruler, which completely ruins the fight. I never realized what a great fight Yhorm could be without storm ruler. It didn't even take as long as you would think, under 20 minutes, and you get to riposte him after doing enough damage, which is like storm ruler but less cheap and auto win.

Vorark

Erudite
ALMOST done with Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. I’m not going for the Platinum Trophy, but I am going to finish the last few side quests and get every Digimon. I’m close to finishing both. I think that I have 210 out of 249 Digimon. The question is if I should play the sequel right away, or boot up Persona 5?

Hacker's Memory reuses A LOT of Cyber Sleuth assets, so I'd recommend Persona 5 for now. Keep in mind Atlus will release an enhanced P5 version next year, though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Continuing with the Unholy Alliance campaign of HoMM3: The Shadow of Death

Map 7 was a small and rather easy map with Sandro and his Liches.

Map 8 was the first showdown, with Sandro against the four good heroes. Sandro started in the middle. My version of Sandro has Logistics and Earth Magic, but no Town Portal Spell, but he can cast Dimension Door once a day. I tried to build up a castle, but the enemies kept appearing so soon that I found out that I'd just run around killing off the enemy instead. Annoyingly Sando has no Archery skill, which would have been very nice for an all Lich army.
Using View Earth I saw that Green (Gem and Gelu) had expanded the most, so I decided to take them on first, before they grew too strong. So first concentrate on one enemy and don't bother with defense, and then switching to the other enemy.
This map would have been quite frustrating without both DD and TP.

Map 9 with Gem and Gelu was a ridicilously easy map, with enemies (and monster stacks) so weak that I soon didn't bother building up, but instead invaded the enemy.

Map 10 Battle Brothers with Crag Hack and Yog was another matter, though. Neither have any magic skills, and Yog doesn't even have Wisdom. Of the four heroes only Gem is really competent (you go, girl!) with three magic skills, Logistics and Tactics (restarting to get better skills is for cowards).
The only magic "trump card" was Crag Hack's Armageddon spell. Since the monster stacks are huge (typically 50 lvl 4-5 or 200 lvl 1 enemies, and two stacks of 100 Scorpicors as boarder guards, and all growing 20% each week), and not even starting with a castle, there was no way to blitz this map. Especially Yog had to take it easy and accumulate Nomads from two sites over several weeks before he could break though a garrison.
Crag Hack had a Refugee Camp in his area, and I was hoping for Black or Gold Dragons so he could Armageddon his way through the map, but no such luck.
The enemies also had access to a Dragon Utopia and a Black Market, so they could almost match stats with the barbarian brothers, and cast better spells.
In addition there were only two Taverns (one not reachable) on the whole map, and without TP this map took much longer than usual.
Definitely the hardest map so far for me.

Last edited:

Dux

Arcane
Carmageddon

Didn't expect this game to be this goddamn long but can't say I regret investing the time, even though there certainly is some redundant gameplay to trudge through. The broken economy where you'll max out your earnings several times over before you're even allowed to buy the next set of upgrades. The fact that you race around the same recycled maps over and over with slightly altered track designs. Not to mention the fucking police which drove me absolutely insane. I'll be hearing sirens in my dreams, no doubt about it. Seriously, I don't think there's a word in the dictionary that would adequately describe my feelings for the police in this game.

Anyway, it's been a fun trip, no doubt. I was surprised at how well the car physics still holds up. The cars feel heavy and out of control, which was the idea I would assume. Although I have to say the 2000 credit penalty for respawning is complete bullshit. It's way too easy to become stuck in this game and the 2000 credits just feels like a kick in the balls. It dampens the risk-taking side of the game where big stunts and jumps just aren't worth it. Additionally, for a racing game there really isn't much racing in it. It's not like the AI will actually beat you or anything. Speaking of the AI it was really jarring how inconsistent it was throughout the game. One moment it's the worst you'll ever see and the next it almost has human-like awareness and vindictiveness. I don't get it. Kept me on my toes, I guess, which is cool.

I was a bit disappointed there wasn't anything special at the end. Like a boss or something. Maybe there is in the Splat Pack, which I decided not to play. 20 hours of this is quite enough.

:4/5:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Carmageddon

Didn't expect this game to be this goddamn long but can't say I regret investing the time, even though there certainly is some redundant gameplay to trudge through. The broken economy where you'll max out your earnings several times over before you're even allowed to buy the next set of upgrades. The fact that you race around the same recycled maps over and over with slightly altered track designs. Not to mention the fucking police which drove me absolutely insane. I'll be hearing sirens in my dreams, no doubt about it. Seriously, I don't think there's a word in the dictionary that would adequately describe my feelings for the police in this game.

Anyway, it's been a fun trip, no doubt. I was surprised at how well the car physics still holds up. The cars feel heavy and out of control, which was the idea I would assume. Although I have to say the 2000 credit penalty for respawning is complete bullshit. It's way too easy to become stuck in this game and the 2000 credits just feels like a kick in the balls. It dampens the risk-taking side of the game where big stunts and jumps just aren't worth it. Additionally, for a racing game there really isn't much racing in it. It's not like the AI will actually beat you or anything. Speaking of the AI it was really jarring how inconsistent it was throughout the game. One moment it's the worst you'll ever see and the next it almost has human-like awareness and vindictiveness. I don't get it. Kept me on my toes, I guess, which is cool.

I was a bit disappointed there wasn't anything special at the end. Like a boss or something. Maybe there is in the Splat Pack, which I decided not to play. 20 hours of this is quite enough.

IIRC there are ways to flip an overturned car without resorting to recovers, but I can't remember for certain whether it was in the first game or Carmageddon 2.

Splat Pack doesn't really add that much, but Carmageddon 2 tries to shake things up a bit, gameplay-wise. What that means is that you have to go through ten 'chapters', where each chapter consists of at least one 'free-for-all' race, and usually another race with a specific objective, like actually being the first to drive three laps. Then each chapter ends with a qualifier round, where you must complete a very specific objective in order to unlock the next chapter. These were mostly ludicrous and I remember cheating my way through most of these are they were way harder than the other races. I remember one of them involved crossing an obstacle course spread across various rooftops, but the best one of them is the chicken race against the 35-ton dump truck. The final round involves racing around in a nuclear silo and pushing The Button to start (C)armageddon.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Was in the mood last weekend to just randomly play games I've never put much time into, partly because I was hungover Sunday and didn't want to really think about what I was doing.

Brutal Doom
It's a fun way to experience Doom anew, and I appreciate how much work must have gone into this mod. When I clear a room of enemies and find myself surrounded by gore soaked walls, I feel like Macho Man after landing the flying elbow drop. It's fun, but once I'm done with it I'll just go back to vanilla Doom again.

Descent
OMG this game is amazing. I played the shareware back in the day, but I never got anywhere at all, I was just playing it like Doom I guess.
Now I'm using DX Rebirth; I previously had played this on Dosbox, but the behavior of the heat seeking missiles is broken when you raise the CPU cycles high enough to play the game at a nice frame rate, so I gave up on that.
I'm playing this with keyboard and flight stick, and it's fucking amazing. I haven't felt such a rush playing a game in years.

Half-Life
I finally got the software renderer to work, and it looks 100x better. The Steam version of HL is apparently screwed up (even the original version of HL, not the source port), so that if you use opengl the textures get filtered wrong. I don't know the details, but there's a lengthy steam form thread on it; basically the textures end up being much blurrier than in the physical release version.
I never liked HL from day one, and I don't love it now, but it's okay. It's slippery to control and it's the catalyst for FPS decline from then on, but it at least moves quick and feels like you're playing a game.

Fallout 2
Got the Fallout bug again. I finally completed Fallout 1 a few years back, and immediately started this one up but couldn't get into it. I finally put a couple of hours into F2 tonight and had a blast. I'm using basically the same character I used in F1, so high CHA specializing in small arms and talking.

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
The Last Door - Season 2

excellent, elegant game. imo The Last Door - Season 1 was rather disappointing; a tryhard Lovecraft inspired game with too many non-scary horror cliches. but Season 2 is really really nice so far. played through episode 2 just now, 2 more episodes to go. looking forward to it!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed the Unholy Alliance campaign of HoMM3: The Shadow of Death

Map 11: The four heroes face Sandro again, in yet another incarnation. He now has about 30 in all stats, but no Armor of the Damned or Cloak of the Undead King. I defeated him very early, and only on the very last turn the AI recruited him again.

Map 12. The final map of the campaign.
Sandro now has much lower stats, but he does have his artifacts. But disappoingtly he cowers behind a Quest Guard with a small army. So no great battle against hundreds or thousands of Liches. Instead the map conveniently provided me with the Tome of Fire Magic and Power of the Dragon Father. The latter grants immunity to lvl 1-4 spells, so Gem finished off Sandro's army with one casting. Talk about anti-climax!
My plan was to build up one of the Barbarian castles to Capitol and one of the Druid castles to produce Dragons, and have Crag Hack, who was the only one who knew the Armageddon spell, deal with Sandro.

In the end the resetting of skills and no real showdown was a decline, although the resetting of skills did make the four heroes more distinct. Gem as the most mobile one and by far the best spell caster, but weakest Attack and Defense, Crag Hack as the secondary commander, having Scouting, Logistics and Pathfinding, and being the second best spell caster, and Yog (with only the most rudimentary magic skills) and Gelu (no Logistics) in support roles.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Chapter two of the Swordflight module for Neverwinter Nights 1. I am really impressed, and I can see the care put into the module by the creator. The quests are great, classes and alignments have unique interactions, and the module heavily restricts resting. The resting restriction (and rest spam) really cuts casters down a peg, which is nice. Provided the quality does not dip, this could easily become one of my favorite games.

I give Lilura credit for highlighting this module.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Going through my goddamn backlog. It's colossal. It's disgusting! Would probably be best to just write a bunch of this shit off, but I can't. I have to at least make an effort.
First bunch:
DOOM (Had lass than half way to go, had fun!)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (Just the final boss left. No idea why I stopped the last time.)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Think the save I used was midway through the game, still took me nearly 3 weeks to finish together with both expansions.)
Batman: Arkham Knight (Started from scratch, took almost two weeks, had a blast, nice send-off.)
Beyond: Two Souls (Old save, about a third through I'd say, wrapped the game up in 3 days. Well, 'game.' Did end up caring about what happened to the girl though, so that's something.)
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (Started from scratch, took a week. Solid 'GTA-clone.')
Virginia (From scratch, took like an hour, hour and a half though! Hardly a game, but much like with Beyond, I was invested, I cared. Nice music, nice style.)
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (Just an easy one to chalk off the list, took a couple hours. Whatever, it's a fighting game. The story was insufferable!)

Second bunch:
What Remains Of Edith Finch (A walking simulator, but it was pretty. I liked it, I cared!)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Had an old save, had like the last hour or two to go.)
Limbo (Cool, spooky platformer)
Mirror's Edge (Had it since forever, took a couple hours to beat, looks good for a 10 year old game!)
Steep (Used to snowboard as a kid in the late 90s and that was the last time I played a snowboarding game too before this one. Was fun for about a week!)
Mass Effect 2 (Man, this one. Sex & violence in space. Goofy to the 10th power! Laughed my ass off several times and I liked it, goddammit!)
Mass Effect 3 (Less entertaining than the previous one, wasn't QUITE as 'out there.' The last third of it really seemed to take forever.)
Scribblenauts Unmasked (Fun puzzle game, though I'm sure it would've been a whole lot more fun if I was a DC fanboy.)
Transformers: Devastation (I'm 2 hours into it now and I like it. Feels nice! Liked the cartoon a bunch as a kid and this definitely feels like the cartoon.)

Third bunch:
Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Definitive Edition (The first game I bought since I really started going after my backlog. Also the game that probably made me swear off buying any kind of DLC for good. Could've taken just the base game for 12,5 bucks, HAD to get the complete one for 25. Quickly came to the realization that I just didn't care enough about the extra crap. And that the days of trying to 100% games are just done! Ended up ignoring pretty much all of the DLC stuff. And after like 15 hours into the game I just tried to get it over with as soon as possible. No chance in Hell I was going to do the 'epilogue' either. Still had fun though!)
Fallout 4 (There's never been a video game that I've hated more than Fallout 3. Seems times have changed because I didn't have much of an issue with Fallout 4. It's not the Fallout I remember, but that's fine, I'm fine with Fallout being dead. Had a lot of fun exploring the wasteland for the 50 hours or so it took me to finish. And playing a chick, a mother, the main questline threw me for a solid spin in the second half of the game.)
Assassin's Creed Syndicate (Had a huge urge to get Oddyssey on sale. For whatever reason. 'Forced' myself to fire up Syndicate instead. Gotta keep chipping away at that backlog! Anyway, I had fun! Started to get a bit boring after 15 hours or so, this is Assassin's Creed afterall, but I just bulldozed my way through the last couple of chapters and wrapped the whole thing up in about 20 hours.)
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Shadows of Hong Kong (Really like the Shadowrun games, but this thing was just a slog. Didn't even bother with the side-missions, just wanted to wrap it up ASAP and did.)

Fourth bunch:
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (I really liked the first one, put 600+ hours into it even! Across 2-3 completed playthroughs and several aborted ones. Won't be doing that with PoE2 but I did have a lot of fun with it for the 60-70 hours it took me to get through it.)
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Second game I bought since I started attacking my backlog. And I couldn't get enough of this one! Clocked in around 85 hours as the broad Kassandra, ultimately forced myself to just stick to the main missions towards the end and wrap it up 'early.' Probably could've gone 100+ hours otherwise. GOTY 2018! Then again I only played two other games released in 2018, PoE2 and Battletech. Unexpected! Had an inkling I was going to like this one, didn't think it'd be that much. Curse you, Ubisoft!)
Age of Mythology: Extended Edition (I recall really loving this one back in the day. It definitely doesn't have the same impact nowadays! Shit didn't age too well. Shudder to think how I'd feel playing AoE 1 now, or even crap like WarCraft 1/2 or C&C! Loved those games as a kid, really glad I don't own any of them now, glad I don't have to play them now. Still, AoM was OK, got through the main campaign fine, there was no chance in hell I was going to do the expansion stuff.)
The Room Two (A pretty simple puzzle game, something different for me, was OK for the two hours it took me to beat it.)
The Cave (Kinda funny puzzle platformer from Ron Gilbert. Pretty easy, a bit clunky, but I didn't mind dragging three people through it.)

Fifth bunch:
Mark of the Ninja (Great 2D stealth platformer! Could barely stop playing once I started.)
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Played it once before on the PS3 so the emotional impact was way weaker this time around, still had a nice time, game still looks lovely, plays great.)
The Banner Saga 2 (Played the first one a while back, no idea why it took me this long to get around to playing the second one. Liked the story, loved the art, got a bit tired of the combat.)
The Banner Saga 3 (Finished the second one, had to finish the third one as well. Same as with part 2. Maybe this one was a bit short, at least I didn't like how this whole epic saga was just wrapped up with a, 'Hey, that sure was something, huh? Alright, bye!')
Thimbleweed Park (Thought I was going to like it way more than I did. It was fine! Just didn't like how the main characters would barely acknowledge eachother. You'd have them cooperate with eachother to solve puzzles but it never really made much sense why they'd want to.)
Dishonored 2 (Loved the first one, I really did. Gave this one a go, but for some reason wasn't really feelin' it so I bailed after a couple of hours. I'll be back though!)
Far Cry 5 (Felt like playing this instead. Picked it up for 12€, my first gaming purchase of the year. And so far, so good. Like the world, I'm having fun, don't like the way the 'story' keeps hassling me. Just weirdly done. I'm out there, I don't know, doing something silly, something fun, and the game will just decide,'OK, buddy, that's enough of that! Time for one of the boring villians to talk at you for 5 minutes.')

Latest bunch:
Far Cry 4 (Just had to wrap it up, finished it in a couple hours. Was probably fun enough the first time I played it.)
Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition (Finished the original campaign way back when, never got around to going through the EE. Until now. Great game, enjoyable game, but can't imagine I'll ever go back again.)
Assassin's Creed Origins (Didn't expect to enjoy this one much. But I did! Not as much as Odyssey, but still. Played it for a solid week, finished it even. Ptolemaic Egypt looked great.)
Cities: Skylines (Liked it, but ultimately just got a city to 75000 people and quit, considered the game 'finished' at that point. F'ing traffic!)
Mass Effect: Andromeda (Liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Felt kinda bad even that there does not seem to be a new one on the horizon. Would love to visit Andromeda some more. Will happen eventually, I'm sure!)
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (Finished an old save from about 2/3 through the game. Always nice to go back to Baldur's Gate.)
Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear (Playing this right now and hey! I'm enjoying myself well enough. Not digging through deeply into it, but as it is, it's just more 'Baldur's Gate' to me. Looks good too!)

Swigen

Arbiter
Wasting time on Wasteland 2 while I wait for the fucken 19gb Kingdom Come patch to download, then I’m gonna waste time on that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finally playing Alien Isolation. I quickly tried it a while back and wasn't in the mood I think but now I'm tearing through it pretty well. I hate invulnerable enemies in games like Dead Space and Resident Evil so I thought the alien would drive me nuts, but so far he's like... barely been in it? I hear him plodding along in the ceiling a lot but he only came down a lot in the medical section. That was sort of a frustrating area but I googled and see it's supposed to be the worse section of the game, so only dying a few times and making it through pretty easily makes me feel like a boss. Granted I'm playing on normal, not hard, because I'm not a fan of survival horror really and don't want to torture myself. Anyway the alien has rarely popped out since then and now I have a flamethrower which I assume will help when he does. We shall see.

I finished Wolfenstein 2 a handful of days ago and moved on to Project Warlock. Beat the first episode and it was fun, though sort of easy. Love the look of it though, and an old Doom style shooter with upgrades and perks and whatnot is kind of cool. Not sure when I'll play episode 2 though, these kinds of games are best in small doses IMO.

Was playing Shadowrun Hong Kong for the first time as well but taking a break for a few weeks now. Will likely go back and wrap it up after Alien though. The writing just wasn't grabbing me like Dragonfall's did but I like the setting and such enough to power through.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Anyway the alien has rarely popped out since then and now I have a flamethrower which I assume will help when he does. We shall see.

The flamethrower works wonders in repelling the Alien. One note worth mentioning, is that if you meet the Alien in a vent you'll need to flame it hard to drive it off.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I played and finished Monkey Island 1 and 2 recently. I don't think I'll ever understand the phenomenon of these games.

Monkey Island 1 I think I tried 3 times before and always bounced off of it at some point. This time I finished it, but with great pains. I don't know what makes this game so painful to me, but that's how I'd describe it.

However, one goy told me that Monkey Island 2 is where all the fun is and I should give that a spin cuz he also didn't care much for 1. So I just finished Monkey Island 2, having never played it before at all, and it was even more painful than 1...

I'm honestly at a loss how you're supposed to figure out half of the puzzles and shit by yourself. Then comes the endless, terrible backtracking through all the islands (get key from Stan on Booty to open crypt on Scabb, turns out you need a book from the library on Phatt, get it and return to Scabb, turns out you need another book from the library on Phatt, return to Scabb once more oh fuck you). And then there was the ending which was just completely stupid.

Otoh I always liked Monkey Island 3 a lot, so I guess I'm just a sap ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The flamethrower works wonders in repelling the Alien. One note worth mentioning, is that if you meet the Alien in a vent you'll need to flame it hard to drive it off.

Yeah I played the next section this morning and he caught me once near the end but I just blasted fire at him and he ran off. Then I sprinted to a save point. That was kind of cool. I actually think this "alien is so annoying omg" stuff was WAY to exaggerated. If you play that medical section like a stealth game it's not that bad, and now I can drive him off? Seems like no big deal. Though again I'm playing on "normal" and also I'm used to stealth games so maybe that's a factor. In any case this is a great game and seems like maybe the best movie-to-game conversion I can think of, it captures the source excellently.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yeah I played the next section this morning and he caught me once near the end but I just blasted fire at him and he ran off. Then I sprinted to a save point. That was kind of cool. I actually think this "alien is so annoying omg" stuff was WAY to exaggerated. If you play that medical section like a stealth game it's not that bad, and now I can drive him off? Seems like no big deal. Though again I'm playing on "normal" and also I'm used to stealth games so maybe that's a factor. In any case this is a great game and seems like maybe the best movie-to-game conversion I can think of, it captures the source excellently.

The difficulty level kinda explains it, Normal is quite easy. I did my first playthrough on Medium, and due to various bugs and learning the mechanics I had a hell of a time playing it. I've only ever played it on Hard since then, and there's a noticeable difference in Alien behavior between those two. I've never tried Nightmare myself, don't see a reason to.

And then there's the question of whether you're using any of the mods. 'Unpredictable Alien' increases the frequency of Alien appearances, but on the other hand the Alien is no longer tethered to the player, meaning on larger maps it can run off and do its thing on its own. The mod makes the Medical section much easier due to the size of the map.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is that you're not in the second half of the game yet. The game's quality drops sharply after about Chapter 10, and then again once you start Chapter 17. I'm not saying you won't have fun, but your words may be a little too hasty at this point.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No mods, but yeah normal difficulty. I doubt most people played on hard though so its rep is probably based on normal? I dunno. In any case I'm glad it's not too annoying to play since I don't like survival horror but just wanted to experience the game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
One final piece of advice: If you're gonna try and grab all the collectables of the game, wait until Chapter 16. Then (and only then) will you have full access to every area of the game, and you'll have to re-visit some of them to discover some new content.

Of particular note is a door which you may have encountered at the very start of the game that has a code that is only given by a survivor that is hiding in the area where you found the (empty) Nostromo flight recorder AFTER you've been through there the first time.

Finally finished the main story of Days Gone. God, what a slog of a game! Soooooo long, way longer than it needed to. Game could have been 1/3 the size and I'd still leave satisfied. Didn't help it that the story doesn't carry the game, it was awful, no character was even mildly interesting, and the dialogue was utter shit. At least the base gameplay was still fun, killing zombies, hordes, and clearing enemy camps.

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I'm honestly at a loss how you're supposed to figure out half of the puzzles and shit by yourself.
Yeah you basically can't. You just either try random shit until something works or find the walk-through or something. But the whole point is that in their age this whole wackiness created a much different feeling.
Now you know you're like 3 clicks away from the solution... back then it was very hard to come by a walk-through so you really had to figure the random shit alone, somehow...
The combination of anger and laughing when you FINALLY "figure out" that you need to combine a rubber chicken with something else in order to get across a canyon or some shit like that... was the thing that made Monkey Island be what it is, for me at least.

Sure it always had nice music and interesting locations and characters but yeah, that's the main thing for me

the_shadow

Arcane
Currently playing the game where John Romero makes you his female dog (Daikatana).

It was on sale at GoG, and curiosity led to a purchase. Is it really as bad as people say? I'm half way through the second episode and... it's not that bad. It's actually a decent linear FPS, and was pretty ambitious for the time. It's difficult, but not impossible. The weapon variety is actually pretty interesting. I know some people complain about how the weapons are hard to use, but they are fine once you get used to them. The ion blaster reflects off surfaces, but once you realize this you can actually use that to your benefit to hit enemies around corners and U bends. The C4 guns has a short range and can be player triggered, so you do need to be careful. Episode 2 doesn't appear to have any weapons that subject you to friendly fire, and they are all a bit overpowered.

The map design and secret areas are well done too. I know that people complained about the companion AI when it first came out, but I haven't had any real problems with it. It's good for the time. The only thing that really sucks are the early levels, where you start off in a swamp fighting mechanical frogs. When you finally get out of the swamps, you cheer until you realize... it's a sewer level! That's right, out of the frying pan, into the fire. Thankfully you can blast through that part of the game in 30 minutes, and then it's serious inclne.

I think with some controversial games, a lot of people jump on the bandwagon when it comes to hating. I've still haven't finished Daikatana, but it's pretty ambitious for its time. And the slogan they used to promote it is pretty funny, I'm not sure why some potential customers would get butthurt, it's just a more crass version of Dark Soul's motto "Prepare to Die".

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm honestly at a loss how you're supposed to figure out half of the puzzles and shit by yourself.
Yeah you basically can't. You just either try random shit until something works or find the walk-through or something. But the whole point is that in their age this whole wackiness created a much different feeling.
Now you know you're like 3 clicks away from the solution... back then it was very hard to come by a walk-through so you really had to figure the random shit alone, somehow...
The combination of anger and laughing when you FINALLY "figure out" that you need to combine a rubber chicken with something else in order to get across a canyon or some shit like that... was the thing that made Monkey Island be what it is, for me at least.

Sure it always had nice music and interesting locations and characters but yeah, that's the main thing for me

I disagree on the puzzles being mostly illogical (though a few of them most certainly are) but it's the filler material of mazes and purposefully tedious puzzles that has a bigger negative impact for me.

Part of the 'logic' of the puzzles in Monkey Island is the fact that they're playing on puns, tropes and clichés. The red herring, in the field of literature, is a distraction intended to lead the reader/viewer astray, but in MI1 it's actually a useful item.

You also have to keep in mind that the MI games were released during the era where the games were designed to be illogical and obtuse, forcing players to call the 1-800 hint line.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
You also have to keep in mind that the MI games were released during the era where the games were designed to be illogical and obtuse, forcing players to call the 1-800 hint line.
Yeah this

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom