Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Codex Year of the Donut
What's a fun weapon class if you want to make a real barbarian merc to replace that Amiri thot?
I'd use a reach weapon so you can stand behind your tank to avoid being slaughtered
there's quite a few really good fauchards, it's probably the best reach

Codex Year of the Donut
AC matters a lot for most of the game

AC tends to be an all or nothing stat, especially on Challenging or above difficulties. If you cannot stack it to very high levels, especially late game, you won't get much benefit out of it. Since you lack a shield, spells and are not an unarmored monk type character, the AC you can reach is limited.
I didn't suggest he put AC on his barbarian, I suggest he put his barbarian behind a tank that has high AC.

Sykar

Arcane
AC matters a lot for most of the game

AC tends to be an all or nothing stat, especially on Challenging or above difficulties. If you cannot stack it to very high levels, especially late game, you won't get much benefit out of it. Since you lack a shield, spells and are not an unarmored monk type character, the AC you can reach is limited.
I didn't suggest he put AC on his barbarian, I suggest he put his barbarian behind a tank that has high AC.

Which you can do without reach weapons thanks to Enlarge.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Imho, the best barbarian weapon in the game is Greataxe. There is especially amazing one for crits.

But they do not really need to focus a weapon so I usually go through Glave > Greatsword > Greataxe line.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
You can use respec mod for this. It allows to leave their stats as is and set them Traits and everything.

Daidre

Arcane
I have meant respec mod, sorry, edited it later. This one does not affect difficulty in any way)

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's the 'codex quest?
About Grimoire of course.

Incidentally the Codex quest is probably the quest with the highest potential xp payoff in the whole game - by far. If you use the "only skill user gets experience from skills" option, it provides like 2 top end levels - when they cost about as much xp as all earlier levels combined. Maxing the xp gains from this level allows to reach level 20 still in Act V.

Guess the Codex really is :obviously:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
What's a fun weapon class if you want to make a real barbarian merc to replace that Amiri thot?
Fauchards for safety of reach (and maximum number of crits), greataxes for raw Carnage (Vanquisher outdamages all other weapons by a pretty wide margin).

Cael

Arcane
Fauchards for safety of reach (and maximum number of crits), greataxes for raw Carnage (Vanquisher outdamages all other weapons by a pretty wide margin).
Steady extra damage is generally more valuable than more crits. Longswords tend to outdamage scimitars, for example, and that is without including crit immune monsters

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
As for spells that may be underrated by some, I'd include:
Glitterdust: aoe blinds, reveals invisible, will save, which most martial/roguish types have very low. With Heighten useful almost to the end, same as Grease.

Vinetrap and Chains of Light - indirectly kill most of the dangerous enemies in the game. Big bads often have poor Reflex. Once the enemies are paralyzed, they have low chances to break free due to no Dex. As it's a physical effect, not a mind affecting one (like Hold), it even works on undead and golems. The latter even ignores SR, but the former is available to divine casters already at spell level 5...and I believe it debuffs with entangle even on save.

Phantasmal Web - party friendly huge aoe snare VS will.

Waves of Exhaustion - no save nasty debuff.
Before that, there is Boneshatter for necromancy debuffing of bosses/big bads.
Maximized Enervate/Energy Drain to cut someone to size.

All the Pitts are very good, of course.

Maybe not underrated, but deserves honorable mention as the best blaster spell: Stormbolts - win encounters for you in end game. Fort save is the weakness of your enemies and they can't Evade the effect.

Chain Lightning is really nice for Arcane Tricksters with Surprise Spells. Falls of end game, though.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Steady extra damage is generally more valuable than more crits. Longswords tend to outdamage scimitars, for example, and that is without including crit immune monsters

Fauchards are d10, greataxes d12. Your point?

Cael

Arcane

Longswords are d8, 19-20/x2 and scimitars d6, 18-20/x2. Longswords are better from a damage dealing perspective despite the higher chance of crits from the scimitar.

Also, bolded above because you are too willfully stupid to make the link.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Longswords are d8, 19-20/x2 and scimitars d6, 18-20/x2. Longswords are better from a damage dealing perspective despite the higher chance of crits from the scimitar.

And Vanquisher is d12+15 (16-27 plus Str and other mods). Also 19-20/x3 (17-20/x3 with imp. Crit.)

I rest my case Mr. Smarty "I haven't played the game but I know it all" Pants.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

And Vanquisher is d12+15 (16-27 plus Str and other mods). Also 19-20/x3 (17-20/x3 with imp. Crit.)

I rest my case MR. Smarty "I haven't played the game but I know it all" Pants
Which is exactly what I said, but you are too caught up in your Cael Derangement Syndrome to realise.

I repeat: raw damage is more important than crit chance, so in a choice between extra crit chance and raw damage, always choose raw damage.

If that somehow blasts your ass hard, that is just too bad, because the math bears it out. Unless, of course, you believe math is a lie and 1 + 1 != 2 simply because I said it does.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yet you've failed to consider the other advantage Fauchards offer - Reach. Quite handy for a squishy DPS. You can emulate it with spells, but an enlarged fauchard wielder will have even more reach. And spells may run out/you may not want to dedicate them to such buffs (particularly for secondary chars).

Last but not least, your "raw damage wins" statement ignores the teamwork feat effects. With a strong melee party core, more crits lead to lots of extra attacks of opportunity via Outflank and Seize the Moment.
x3 weapons (without extended crit range) have no answer to that, really - regardless of their "raw damage".

BTW. You really don't need to explain raw damage advantages to me. I've made the Bastard Sword Saint build with up to 6d8 base damage (24d8 with GVS) . You can find it in the Builds thread, you may learn something from it - if you ever plan to actually try the game, rather then just shitpost about it.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
My main issue with Fauchard is that you have to rely on the shitty Artisan mechanics to get hold of a decent one. Fuck that.

Hopefully a modder will fix Artisans soon.

Cael

Arcane
Yet you've failed to consider the other advantage Fauchards offer - Reach. Quite handy for a squishy DPS. You can emulate it with spells, but an enlarged fauchard wielder will have even more reach. And spells may run out/you may not want to dedicate them to such buffs (particularly for secondary chars).

Last but not least, your "raw damage wins" statement ignores the teamwork feat effects. With a strong melee party core, more crits lead to lots of extra attacks of opportunity via Outflank and Seize the Moment.
x3 weapons (without extended crit range) have no answer to that, really - regardless of their "raw damage".

BTW. You really don't need to explain raw damage advantages to me. I've made the Bastard Sword Saint build with up to 6d8 base damage (24d8 with GVS) . You can find it in the Builds thread, you may learn something from it - if you ever plan to actually try the game, rather then just shitpost about it.
I said nothing about reach because it is irrelevant to my comment. A bit of reading comprehension would help you massively, boy.

I merely made a comment about crit vs raw damage. You conflated it with everything because you suffer from CDS and was desperate to make a mountain out of any grain of sand you found in order to get a gotcha. Well, it blew up in your face, kid. Sucks to be you. Go back to kindergarden and pass it this time.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yes, Mr. Dumbfuck, whatever you say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom