Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MicroProse revived as military simulator publisher

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Is this like the same thing where Herve Cain has brought back Black Isle Studios?

Well Herve only had a video pitch and wanted money........ here they have a website, are providing WiP screenshots and release is set for september - october this year, so it does not look like a scam but return of few Micrprose guys with a new team.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
714UrsN.jpg

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Meh. Wake me up when they announce Darklands 2 (providing it won't suck which is a very slim chance).

I think they will be mainly focusing on sims this time though, they got guys with simulators as expertise.

Kwota

Augur
I don't know how to feel about this game, especially quote about: "mobile and console versions of the game will be taking off throughout 2020". At least there are still mods for EAW.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I don't know how to feel about this game, especially quote about: "mobile and console versions of the game will be taking off throughout 2020". At least there are still mods for EAW.

I've searched some and the mobile games that they make are always diffferent to the PC ones so I wouldn't worry, the mobile one is releasing a year after the PC so it means they are developing it separately.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe, but IL2 was a loooong time ago. Average gamer today has probably never even heard of a Flight Sim, let alone Microprose or IL2. Although this could go the other way and mean that a lot of new gamers try it because they never played a flight sim before. I just hope there are enough people interested in dogfighting.

Does the average gamer not know of flight sims because they don't like them or because in the 00's we had virtually none? Il-2 and CFS3 were about the last of the sims that can be traced to the golden age of the mid-late 90's. DCS, IL-2 BOS/BOM/BOK, Rise of Flight and the arcade War Thunder/WoW are about the only things with a combat slant these days and fit extremes: either dry and uber hardcore or casual arcade.

You mention HAWX, but really, it's not much of a simulator, being more like Ace Combat(which incidentally sold decently on consoles, so even arcade sims have an audience).

I agree that something like Gunship 2000 should be remade, but having a new European Air War is also good.

I think you and Makabb would both agree that the above observations show that what we are missing are the survey sim category: hordes of aircraft, decent realism without going overboard with a 25 step engine starting process. Something casual enough to get a player up in the air, dogfighting as fast as possible while still being realistic enough to get a good feel for the handling and limitations of various aircraft true to their real life analogues. To this end, a quality campaign(dynamic) that doesn't feel like a spreadsheet would help no end as well.

A new Jane's USAF or NATO fighters would be great too(EA I know, but it's the category were are talking about).

I'd be happy with the bulk of Microprose's back catalog in a new engine. Those old sims still have great gameplay, but they really aged badly and the graphics actually hinder the immersion(though I remember at start of the 90's, how awesome it all looked).

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
think you and Makabb would both agree that the above observations show that what we are missing are the survey sim category: hordes of aircraft, decent realism without going overboard with a 25 step engine starting process. Something casual enough to get a player up in the air, dogfighting as fast as possible while still being realistic enough to get a good feel for the handling and limitations of various aircraft true to their real life analogues. To this end, a quality campaign(dynamic) that doesn't feel like a spreadsheet would help no end as well.

Yea, that's why this new game has a chance to be the sim we wanted since 00's if it will be done right.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
think you and Makabb would both agree that the above observations show that what we are missing are the survey sim category: hordes of aircraft, decent realism without going overboard with a 25 step engine starting process. Something casual enough to get a player up in the air, dogfighting as fast as possible while still being realistic enough to get a good feel for the handling and limitations of various aircraft true to their real life analogues. To this end, a quality campaign(dynamic) that doesn't feel like a spreadsheet would help no end as well.

Yea, that's why this new game has a chance to be the sim we wanted since 00's if it will be done right.

Yes indeed. Was thinking about other genre's as well. M1 Tank Platoon and M1TP2 were also great. There's a handful of tank sims out now but again, focused on uber-realism at the expense of fun. A remake of that with maybe a T-90 campaign for a Russian/Red force thrown in, would also be well received. The campaigns in that series were very good as well.

I don't really understand why devs dumped on this category and went uber hard core for the handful of sims since then. Seems a bit counterintuitive to limit the genre to the total fanatic core, then wonder why it's such a niche. A self fulfilling prophecy, such as "TB RPG's are dead"......except they weren't, just that people stopped making them! Same here. Even sims sold ok at the start of this century, just that the publishers of the 90's bet on a lot of wrong horses and the modest income from sims wasn't enough to cover the losses from bad investments elsewhere. Sims became the first casualty in restructuring through no fault of their own :(

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Maybe, but IL2 was a loooong time ago. Average gamer today has probably never even heard of a Flight Sim, let alone Microprose or IL2. Although this could go the other way and mean that a lot of new gamers try it because they never played a flight sim before. I just hope there are enough people interested in dogfighting.

Does the average gamer not know of flight sims because they don't like them or because in the 00's we had virtually none?
I think both but yeah, it is hard to say. And yeah Janes was awesome. There was also some game I forgot the name of where you get into really good dogfights in a modern jet, shoot down 10 planes, and then if you get shot down, you jump into the cockpit of one of your allies and carry on. It was fun. Although I think bombing stuff on the ground is more fun. I like blowing up bridges and watching tanks unable to cross and then whoop all the tanks. I guess if anyone can make a fun flight sim it would be Microprose.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Yes indeed. Was thinking about other genre's as well. M1 Tank Platoon and M1TP2 were also great. There's a handful of tank sims out now but again, focused on uber-realism at the expense of fun. A remake of that with maybe a T-90 campaign for a Russian/Red force thrown in, would also be well received. The campaigns in that series were very good as well.

I don't really understand why devs dumped on this category and went uber hard core for the handful of sims since then. Seems a bit counterintuitive to limit the genre to the total fanatic core, then wonder why it's such a niche. A self fulfilling prophecy, such as "TB RPG's are dead"......except they weren't, just that people stopped making them! Same here. Even sims sold ok at the start of this century, just that the publishers of the 90's bet on a lot of wrong horses and the modest income from sims wasn't enough to cover the losses from bad investments elsewhere. Sims became the first casualty in restructuring through no fault of their own :(

Kids today think that War Thunder is top simming because of the GrApHiCs, they don't know anything else and think WT is the best because it looks pretty

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron

Kids today think that War Thunder is top simming because of the GrApHiCs, they don't know anything else and think WT is the best because it looks pretty

Exactly. Sad too, as Gaijin has made some really cool and overlooked pre-war/early war aircraft that haven't been modeled in any other sims before and they are great. I do play that damn game just to enjoy the early tier 1 and 2 aircraft which for me are far more interesting than the standard Spitfire IX and Fw-190 A8, Mustangs, Me-262's etc. that reside in their higher tiers. They have the ability, just that they don't seem to see a financial reason to branch out into proper survey sim territory...

Sad....

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Sad too, as Gaijin

Gaijin lost my trust when 'world war mode' stopped being a MMO type mode as they advertised it first, they removed simulator battles and added malware to their launcher.

It took them 5 years to make this abortion of a mode, stopped playing war blunder few years ago, never looked back.

Beastro

Arcane
That's what a single word whose trademark has probably lapsed does to a studio!

This.

Unless they've brought back most of the old team this is nothing but throwing an empty brand name around.

Is this like the same thing where Herve Cain has brought back Black Isle Studios?

Well Herve only had a video pitch and wanted money........ here they have a website, are providing WiP screenshots and release is set for september - october this year, so it does not look like a scam but return of few Micrprose guys with a new team.

That answers things nicely.

There was also some game I forgot the name of where you get into really good dogfights in a modern jet, shoot down 10 planes, and then if you get shot down, you jump into the cockpit of one of your allies and carry on

I always like Screaming Demons over Europe for allowing that.

Also allowed you to control bombers and do some ground attack too.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
If you never experienced Warbirds in 90's,,,,,,, this is the game you are waiting for.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It looks like something out of 90's MicroProse game, I love it.

t9rotst.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom