Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Daedalic opens a new studio in Munich, and it will work on a new game from Jan Müller-Michaelis (Poki), the creator of Deponia: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-02-14-daedalic-entertainment-opens-new-munich-office

Huh, his new game was exposed in March. It's one of recipients of Bayern's funding program: https://www.fff-bayern.de/fileadmin...ldungen/Vergabemeldungen_Games_Maerz_2019.pdf

It's.. an orc restaurant management game with dungeon crawling.

Okay I was hasty: https://www.gameswirtschaft.de/politik/fff-bayern-orcs-kitchen-daedalic/

Update from 28.3.2019: At the request of GamesWirtschaft Daedalic has communicated that "Orc's Kitchen" is a completely new project - and not the new game of "Deponia" inventor Jan Müller-Michaelis ("Poki") ,

I guess it makes sense Poki's new game is not in the stage of concept development after a year.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
OK, this is released now, and if the part of the description about classic adventure games is not the most the reassuring, I have to say the trailer makes me intrigued anyway, especially since it's on GoG :

https://af.gog.com/game/irony_curtain_from_matryoshka_with_love?as=1649904300

ABOUT_IC.png

CRT_CUT.gif

Take a look behind Irony Curtain in a satirical point and click inspired by the best works of LucasArts and Daedalic Entertainment! Experience the totalitarian Matryoshka through Evan’s eyes – a low-ranking, goofy journalist involuntarily pulled right into the middle of an espionage stand-off between two powers. Hop onto the wacky spy adventure, uncover secrets of the bizzare communist country (and the powerful capitalistic empire!), witness the story full of unpredictable twists and turns and discover the true agenda of the mysterious Supreme Leader!

What business might the loving father of the Matryoshkan nation have with a lowly, capitalistic pen pusher?
Why suddenly lift the Irony Curtain and welcome a stranger in Matryoshka?
And why is there an alligator in the middle of the bathroom?!

Features_EN.png

Anna_cut.gif

What can you expect:
  • An original setting: fictional Cold War era – alternate reality unbound by historical accuracy, and the communistic Matryoshka full of people who work all the possible angles to navigate this illogical, odd country.
  • Inspired by classic adventure games – but better. No dream-logic, no pixel hunting. No-nonsense. Pure point and click fun.
  • The Spy Intrigue – sleeper spies, stolen secrets and world-domination plots wrapped up in layers of humour
  • Quirky characters – Meet the mysterious Leader ruling Matryoshka with an irony fist, the clueless and guilible Evan, the brave and witty Agent Anna and the notorious Minister of Propaganda...
  • Do it your way – some of the puzzles are non-linear and can be solved in two or more different ways.
  • 21 hand-painted locations – that look surprisingly better than their original inspirations.
  • Full voice-over – in English, and subtitles in Polish and German.
  • 1,951 cleverly sneaked-in easter eggs – some of them punishable by political imprisonment.
  • A 5-year plan – that no one ever hoped to achieve, and neither should you.
char_100.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Nope

Liturgist
It's an alright traditional p&c although with some annoying bits early on where the subject matter gets in the way of the design, notably you get a line of multiple fetch quests across 2-3 screens in a row and there's one or two questionable puzzles later as well but they have near-constant optional hint-lines and hint npcs that spell them out for you if you want it which ameliorates it somewhat.
The parody isn't terribly hard-hitting or serious it's more of an excuse to have a Soviet-ish/Sattelite state-ish setting which is the more fun part of the game, later part of the story feels like it cribs bits/characters from Deponia but it's not terribly important beyond giving you a reason to do stuff anyhow.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

lol J_C what is this?

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-2006-h...-to-steam-and-i-demand-you-watch-the-trailer/

This 2006 Hungarian FMV game finally made it to Steam, and I demand you watch the trailer
We walk among the memories of the past but no one cares about the details. Start caring about the details, everyone!

Above you'll find the trailer for a full motion video point-and-click adventure game called Yoomurjak's Ring. Originally released in Hungary in 2006, it was re-released in 2009 for PC with English subtitles and then again for the iPhone and iPad in 2015. And now it's on Steam.

Despite its longevity I was somehow completely unaware of Yoomurjak's Ring until today when Wes dropped the trailer, which you can see embedded above, into our Slack channel.

The trailer is a wonderful, baffling delight. Wes said he watched it without the sound on and I immediately demanded he unmute it and watch it again, because it's a game trailer but it's set to music that sounds reminiscent of an '80s sitcom theme song, something like Perfect Strangers or Growing Pains. And this is a game where a Manhattan journalist investigates time travel in Hungary, gets punched in the face, has terrifying nightmares, survives a massive explosion, considers eating an obscenely large plate of food, and talks to a man in a pool. (I am basing this synopsis entirely on the trailer, which you should watch again.)

I've just started playing it and have already found one helpful feature: all the conversations you have (in Hungarian with English subtitles) are saved in a logbook, in text, so if you remember talking to a friendly travel agent, a suspiciously nosy old man, or a face-punching brute but can't recall exactly what they said, you can just open your logbook and look it up. The environments are photographed but this ain't Myst: you can turn and look around the locations in 360 degrees, and conversations take place in first-person perspective video.

Here's Yoomurjak's Steam page, where you can purchase the adventure for $10, and follow it up with its sequel, Miazma or the Devil's Stone, which has been on Steam since last year. Odd for the sequel to have arrived on Steam so far ahead of the first game, but we are talking about time travel, right?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
lol J_C what is this?
I can just echo your question. What the fuck is this? The name of this game is familiar, I heard about it before, but I never thought that this is an FMV adventure game. Interesting to say the least, espcially since they managed to hire real hungarian actors to play the parts as I see it.

Edit: I knew it I have heard the title of the game before. It seems the game is based on a real novel with the same name, released in 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
They released a demo and a full beta version of Joyfess: Martin's Secret Recipe on itch : https://haridira.itch.io/joyfess-martins-secret-recipe
Joyfess Tidesman, a fearless sailor from the Caribbeans, decides to take a break from his sea adventures by participating in a cooking contest, only to realize that the most exciting of his adventures is yet to come as he tries to fetch a recipe and gather its contents.

In this 2D point-and-click adventure game, you will control Joyfess Tidesman to help him gather the recipe's contents and get back to his ship in time, overcoming any surprises that might be thrown his way by those who don't want him to succeed.
The old trailer :

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Curiously both games are from different Polish developers.

ss_a39b34dd7831b4f8a47c37db41b71bd42be6f5c7.600x338.jpg
ss_0faa0dbf0f055da1d6f3f8630740359a66779ae7.600x338.jpg

ADVENTURE SPARKED BY INVENTION!

Brassheart_-Adventure_Sparked_by_Invention.png

Brassheart is a Point & Click adventure game set in the alternative 1920s, inspired by the dieselpunk aesthetics and the classics of the genre.

In this world, Pola Zagórska follows the clues that may provide a way to save her father kidnapped by his own invention, a rebellious supermachine, Valkiria.
This powerful difference engine gathered loyal army and relentlessly pursues the goal of mechanizing and militarizing the whole world. It is governed by cold calculation, and all those who oppose it will be in danger. One of such people was Prof. Zagórski, the co-creator of the machine. Before the kidnapping, however, he managed to give his daughter a clue about defeating the Valkiria. The key to stopping the machine's domination may be a mysterious invention called ‘Brassheart' that affects her will.

Pola has to set off on a journey and find parts of the mechanical heart scattered all over the world, for they are her only chance to stop the sinister machine, end the era of mechanical terror and save her father.

DISCOVER THE WORLD OF BRASSHEART
Embark on an exciting adventure around the world and visit places like Himalayas village or palaces in Europe, filled with great industrial machines and opulent interiors. Admire many meticulously designed 2D locations and a unique graphic style inspired by dieselpunk and cartoons.

GifArt.gif

ENJOY THE DIESELPUNK SETTING
Welcome in the alternative reality of 1920s, the age of global turmoil and brilliant technologies born out of science and creativity. Get to know fantastic inventions of this peculiar world, such as sprawling networks of engines, antigravity generators or automatons, all created under the watchful eye of the immense computing power: Valkiria. Unfortunately, it is the same difference engine that is also responsible for the darker side of progress and seeks world militarization.

GifSetting2.gif

EXPERIENCE CAPTIVATING STORY
Follow Pola’s steps in her quest against the immeasurable power of Valkiria. Put in such a plight and filled with doubt, her close relationships with friends and family will drive her to embark on a dangerous adventure around the world. With your support and help from her trusty companions: mechanic Manfred, artist Tamara and automaton Pascal, Pola will have to unearth her father’s enigmatic inventions and outsmart the malevolent machine.

GifStory.gif

MEET THE COLORFUL CHARACTERS
On your way you will meet a lot of interesting figures: barons and countesses entangled in high-society intrigues, spies, criminals, adventurers and inventors. Get tangled up in crazy conundrums, permeated with humor and requiring extraordinary solutions.

GifCharacters.gif

SOLVE THE PUZZLES WITH PASCAL
Uncover mysteries and overcome obstacles through clever thinking and improvisation. You’ll have a chance to utilize some crazy inventions in this twisted timeline: lasers, robots, airships, giant levitating statues and more! Fix mechanisms, solve puzzles and come up with creative solutions to head-scratching problems. Your companion on the journey, automaton Pascal is ready to offer you helpful hints at any time!

GifPuzzles.gif

FEEL THE VIBE OF GENRE CLASSICS
Take a journey to the world of Brassheart and feel the vibe of genre classics through experiencing cartoonish, colorful art-style, coming up with the crazy MacGyver-esque solutions and finding yourself in extraordinary situations permeated with humor. At the same time enjoy puzzles grounded in commonsensical logic without pixel hunting along the way.

GifClassics.gif

ss_4f4918277bf4f35a359c14c339dd362cd9806152.600x338.jpg
ss_6522dfdf0b08b108e0aa60ee43d3b6a2016749bb.600x338.jpg

Noreaster_Steam_baner_300x80.jpg

Nor’easter is an episodic adventure game taking place in Northern America, somewhere in the mighty forest. The game is deeply rooted in the lumberjack folklore. It’s a setting as unknown to the general public as it's full of quaint, strange creatures known as fearsome critters.

You play as one such critter, a jackalope - a hare with deer antlers - named Jack. Jack sets out to help a lumberjack named Jacob find his missing children. During their adventure they will encounter dozens of weird, magical creatures – a filla-ma-loo bird, a hidebehind, a treesqueak and many others. More importantly, both of our heroes will meet the mysterious Elders of the Forest and try to aid them in restoring balance in within the forest.

Meanwhile, a different yet terrifying being lurks in the shadow and watches the duos every step. Why is the Wendigo - a fearsome critter bound on bringing endless winter to the land – interested in Jacob and Jack? What about Jacob – is there something more to him than meets the eye?

The forest is full of secrets and wonder.

Noreaster_Steam_baner2_300x80.jpg

• Meet the magical and grotesque fearsome critters of the lumberjack folklore
  • Control two characters at once to solve challenging puzzles
  • Experience an intriguing story about the endless and chaotic character of nature
  • Immerse yourself in a fairytale-like world

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sci-fi adventure games published by Iceberg Interactive.

Transient, "Lovecraftian cyberpunk thriller" from developer of Conarium:

ss_00cbdcafc761a89c5f219793c7aaff72b6e31427.600x338.jpg
ss_74e71bf54b6adadcd4d8b5c88138defcdd14506d.600x338.jpg

From the Creators of CONARIUM and the DARKNESS WITHIN series, comes TRANSIENT, a Lovecraftian Cyberpunk thriller.

“The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change” ― Heraclitus

In the distant, post-apocalyptic future, what is left of the population of mankind lives in an enclosed citadel called Domed City Providence, created to survive the harsh outside environment. In this, mankind's final refuge, Randolph Carter, a member of a notorious hacker-for-hire group called ODIN, accidentally stumbles across the terrifying truth, a truth that might tear apart his own sanity and question his very existence.

Key features
  • H.P. Lovecraft meets Cyberpunk. Delve deep into an obscure dystopian world and hold firm to your consciousness while you explore enigmatic networks where change is permanent but reality is only temporary.
  • To find out what is going on, traverse between real and artificially created worlds
  • Ominous but lush graphics created with Unreal Engine 4
  • Secrets and easter eggs
  • A haunting and atmospheric soundtrack.