Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Outer Worlds Gameplay Footage on IGN and Twitch E3 2019 Broadcasts

RickOmbo

Learned
Why the game doesn't have the exp system from VtMB? Do Cain and Boyarsky hate it now?

Josh SJWyer

Novice
Why the game doesn't have the exp system from VtMB? Do Cain and Boyarsky hate it now?

Tim Cain gave a presentation in 2017 on the mistakes to avoid in RPG development, and one of the main takeaways was that numbers are too complicated for most people to understand. This presentation was made during a time when The Outer Worlds was well into development, so you can be sure that what he says in this presentation is a good way of looking at his mindset in making the game and the decisions he made in designing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEewLWDpscA

Tim and company are rethinking the way that RPGs are made, because Math is too hard for zoomers to understand. Zoomer brains are atrophied because they rely on smart phones to do all the thinking for them, so RPGs also have to be dumbed down accordingly.

hexer

I think Tim didn't want to get rid of math, he couldn't even if he wanted, he just opted for a visual representation i.e. geometry.
That should be easier to memorize even for zoomers with shortest attention spans.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We still haven't seen The Outer Worlds character creation and there's actually no evidence yet that the shapes-based system he described in that talk made it into the game.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tim's skill affecting recoil (from that same conference with the shapes) also hasn't been confirmed either yet.

hpstg

Savant
We still haven't seen The Outer Worlds character creation and there's actually no evidence yet that the shapes-based system he described in that talk made it into the game.

This sounds like the kind of idea that Feargus would insta-kill in a meeting.

Insert Title Here
He says it's spiritually a new New Vegas but then he says it's "just" open world, i.e. not a sandbox where you can go anywhere. Doesn't sound like a spiritual successor to NV to me if that's the case. Also the aesthetic sucks. But I am now more hype for this game than I was before just because it has a lot more emphasis on character customization than I thought it would.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom