Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Oh boy... Don't you dare fuck this up, Sven.

More importantly, did Sven really want to make a BG game in the first place? It doesn't seem like his style, especially nowadays.

He's been making it for two years; he cucked Beamdog out of making it; and he stated that he made two different attempts at getting the license. So yes, he REALLY wanted the game. Perhaps this is his "Big RPG" that he was talking about in the past?
Huh. Weird. I thought somebody else must have pressured him into it, but oh well.

Still kind of bizarre, imo.

hexer

He's been making it for two years; he cucked Beamdog out of making it; and he stated that he made two different attempts at getting the license.

Funny how Mearls mentions in a couple of interviews that EVERYONE at WotC said Larian should be the studio to make BG3.
I can't imagine the butthurt at Beamdog and Obsidian when they heard that.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I remeber interviews with Feargus where he was pretty much writing off WotC and D&D during the PoE kickstarter period, so in order for him to say publically that "it's not clear where D&D is going", I guess he had no illusions about getting a comission from them.

turkishronin

Arcane
Yeah, if you don't like the game in the first place you won't enjoy co-oping it. Shocker.
Paradoxically, yes. D:OS2 is not a game I would play in SP - nothing about it is engaging or enjoyable - plot, writing, characters, mechanics. But for goofing around with friends who alleviate the possibility that I would pay much attention to the game's shittyness, it's good enough.

I finished DOS two years ago in 40 hours and I don't remember a single thing about its plot. I don't think I've ever played a game this forgettable.

hexer

Bhaal returned, not as a mortal nor a god (he doesn't have a portfolio of his own), but some sort of weak, immortal spirit, who can only subtly influence people and events. Basically Sauron in his guise as the Necromancer.

I checked Murder in Baldur's Gate and Sword Coast Adventurer Guide but couldn't find anywhere mentions of Bhaal being immortal.
But since the later states he reclaimed his portfolio of Death from Cyric, it's safe to assume he's an immortal god again.

Cael

Arcane
Bhaal returned, not as a mortal nor a god (he doesn't have a portfolio of his own), but some sort of weak, immortal spirit, who can only subtly influence people and events. Basically Sauron in his guise as the Necromancer.

I checked Murder in Baldur's Gate and Sword Coast Adventurer Guide but couldn't find anywhere mentions of Bhaal being immortal.
But since the later states he reclaimed his portfolio of Death from Cyric, it's safe to assume he's an immortal god again.
The Death portfolio went to Kelemvor after the book "Prince of Lies" and was originally Myrkul's (we will ignore Jergal). I think you meant the Murder portfolio, which was Bhaal's.

hexer

The Death portfolio went to Kelemvor after the book "Prince of Lies" and was originally Myrkul's (we will ignore Jergal). I think you meant the Murder portfolio, which was Bhaal's.

Yeah, in the descriptive texts they are referring to it as the Murder portfolio, but technically it's implemented in the game as a Death portfolio.
Here's a screenshot from Sword Coast Adventurer Guide

A bunch of gods from Faerunian pantheon have Death in their portfolio: Bhaal, Jergal, Kelemvor, Loviatar, Myrkul, Shar and Talona.
Not really the happiest and clearest clarification between lore and game system implementation.

Cael

Arcane

Yeah, in the descriptive texts they are referring to it as the Murder portfolio, but technically it's implemented in the game as a Death portfolio.
Here's a screenshot from Sword Coast Adventurer Guide

A bunch of gods from Faerunian pantheon have Death in their portfolio: Bhaal, Jergal, Kelemvor, Loviatar, Myrkul, Shar and Talona.
Not really the happiest and clearest clarification between lore and game system implementation.

I think you are mixing up domains with portfolio. They are not the same things.

hexer

I understand a portfolio is everything a god is responsible for, but a Domain is the closest it gets to a gameplay implementation.

Cael

Arcane

I understand a portfolio is everything a god is responsible for, but a Domain is the closest it gets to a gameplay implementation.
Not exactly. A portfolio is an ideal or a set of ideals the god represents and encourages in his/her adherents.

Domains are a set of abilities that the god grants to his/her followers. These are basically finite, and so multiple gods can have the same domain in his/her portfolio. The most eregious are the alignment domains. Every god that has an alignment other than neutral has the corresponding alignment domain regardless of his/her portfolio.

For gameplay, it is the domains that are important. The portfolio is much less so as it is just words, basically.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

A minute and a half in and i already feel like jumping from the terrace. This dude is sooooo fucking fake, "i am a massive BG fan,that game was like just like drugs to me as a kid"......"dos2 was like one of the best games ever made"

:avatard:
Go eat shit retard,return my time back!

Shrimp

Arbiter
I have prohibited myself from watching videos where the thumbnail contains an image of the creator's face, especially if they're doing some random facial expression.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You know at times I thought it is a good idea to ask for more accurate weapons armor and settings, but mostly due to WoW aesthetic dominating the genre. But for some reason even knowledgeable people end up crazy fanatics and the way it's going, HEMA folk turn into satire themselves. So I don't know anymore.

You should look at aesthetic and how it serves the immersion, and does it follow the canon behind the game. BG3 trailer I think did it. It's reasonably BG1-looking, has flaming fist in it in good armor, the sword is not cloudsword and illithids look like illithids. The deserted and wartorn look of the city provides atmosphere for the events happening well enough.

So who the fuck cares if sword guard is not completely right.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
You know at times I thought it is a good idea to ask for more accurate weapons armor and settings, but mostly due to WoW aesthetic dominating the genre. But for some reason even knowledgeable people end up crazy fanatics and the way it's going, HEMA folk turn into satire themselves. So I don't know anymore.

You should look at aesthetic and how it serves the immersion, and does it follow the canon behind the game. BG3 trailer I think did it. It's reasonably BG1-looking, has flaming fist in it in good armor, the sword is not cloudsword and illithids look like illithids. The deserted and wartorn look of the city provides atmosphere for the events happening well enough.

So who the fuck cares if sword guard is not completely right.
Auraculum

Cael

Arcane
After the boring shit that was NWN2 armour, you'd think the idiots would come up with something better. But nooooo. Muh realism! In a game with wizards throwing fireballs...

Shrimp

Arbiter
After the boring shit that was NWN2 armour, you'd think the idiots would come up with something better. But nooooo. Muh realism! In a game with wizards throwing fireballs...
The funny part is people often bring up the argument that dragons, monsters, wizards throwing fireballs etc. are realistic 'within that setting' yet armour design is apparently where the line is drawn. What gives?
I'm not necessarily saying that's the case here, but I've noticed it frequently enough for me to wonder why equipment (especially weaponry) has to be as realistic as possible.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I have prohibited myself from watching videos where the thumbnail contains an image of the creator's face, especially if they're doing some random facial expression.
I have prohibited myself from watching videos named "analysis of some random shit" or "some random shit explained"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom