Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The best things about 76

What are those?
VAD3Ev0.jpg

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
There was that funny leak that could go both ways.

dQwFD7s.jpg

"Space combat doesn't work in this engine".

Nonsense. Anyone remembers that epic Zeta ending?

Wait a while

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Altman

From 1978-82, Altman and Clifford represented a group of wealthy Arab businessmen, including members of the royal family from Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia, in their efforts to acquire a multi-state bank holding company, Financial General Bankshares. The Arab investors used a British bank, Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI), as their financial advisor in this transaction. Following the acquisition, Altman became President of Financial General, which was renamed First American Corporation.[6][7]

In 1980, he was the lawyer of Bert Lance, Jimmy Carter's adviser, during the his trial regarding the financial management of the Calhoun First National Bank.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_Credit_and_Commerce_International

In 1992, United States Senators John Kerry and Hank Brown became the co-authors of a report on BCCI, which was delivered to the Committee on Foreign Relations. The BCCI scandal was one of a number of disasters that influenced thinking leading to the Public Interest Disclosure Act (PIDA) of 1998. The report found that Clifford and his legal/business partner Robert A. Altman had been closely involved with the bank from 1978, when they were introduced to BCCI by Bert Lance, the former director of the Office of Management and Budget, to 1991.

:killitwithfire::timetoburn::kingcomrade::flamesaw::hailcthulhu:

Cross

Arcane
Why are people taking the state of F76 as indicative of anything that is going on with Bethesda? It was made by the former BattleCry studios in Austin, not Bethesda proper. ES and fallout may be painfully mediocre games but Bethesda Austin delivering yet another turd tells us nothing about the state of Bethesda Maryland.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/8/17943092/fallout-76-hands-on-preview-ps4-xbox-pc-bethesda

Hines says that “everybody at the studio in Rockville who worked on Fallout 4 has worked on 76 in some shape or form.”

ADL

Prophet
The best things about 76

What are those?
World design, interiors, build variety, far distance rendering, the PC port itself. Not saying it's amazing or anything but I'm going to give credit where it's due and say that it's the best thing "Bethesda" has shat out since Morrowind and continues the trend of everyone outside of Bethesda Maryland themselves treating their IPs better than they do.

Everyone already knew the reason Bethesda went to shit after Morrowind was because of the hyper jews at ZeniMax.

Now this stuff about the game wenting trough more revisions than Grimoire is pretty interesting.
The engine is clearly a major technical constraint here. So why won't their headquarters accept a new engine?

Assuming the leak is genuine, it sounds a lot like what allegedly went on during the Anthem development, a big project very different from things the studio did before and apparently no one has a vision of what the game should be resulting in literally years being wasted putting stuff in and taking it out again, also there seems to be some conflict between different Bethesda offices, just like with Anthem. They could just go for Oblivion with rayguns, at least they'd know what they are supposed to be doing.

ZVERMIX

Learned
Patron
Insert Title Here My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's his dream project (check the IGN Unfiltered vid) and he's the Project/Creative Lead. It's gonna be as Todd as it can get.
However, if they can make Skyrim in space, it's gonna be worth checking out at least for virtual sight-seeing.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.pcgamer.com/space-travel-in-starfield-is-as-dangerous-as-flight-in-the-40s/

Space travel in Starfield is as dangerous as 'flight in the '40s'
But lots of people do it.

VDq6K4f5hTXjj7GJDjhHvF-320-80.jpg

During a muddled E3 Coliseum chat between rich car guy Elon Musk and rich Skyrim guy Todd Howard, the latter gave us a tiny detail about Bethesda Game Studios' next big RPG, Starfield.

"Traveling in space in our game, I want to say it's like flight in the '40s, like it's dangerous," said Howard. "It's still dangerous to go and explore, even though lots of people do it."

That's pretty much the end of the Starfield details, though the comparison to early flight is somewhat interesting. There were a lot of crashes in the '40s (partially because of that one war).

Howard also said he visited Musk's SpaceX headquarters as part of an effort to bring "authenticity" to Starfield, and mentioned that Helium-3—a speculative fuel for nuclear fusion—could be the isotope used to fuel Starfield's ships, or at least is something to be debated.

Starfield shouldn't be confused for a rocket engineering sim, though. "We have to gamify it some," said Howard, "so that it's not as punishing as actual space travel."

My impression is that, while it's an RPG and not a sim, Starfield's setting and fiction will lean toward 'hard sci-fi'—speculative, but grounded in present-day theory. As for when we'll see more, Howard repeated that we'll need to be patient.

:dead:

Last edited:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
My impression is that, while it's an RPG and not a sim, Starfield's setting and fiction will lean toward 'hard sci-fi'—speculative, but grounded in present-day theory. As for when we'll see more, Howard repeated that we'll need to be patient.

I pretty doubt that Starfield will be a hard sci-fi game, especially knowing the previous works of the people who will probably work on it. I suspect that it will be more like generic space opera and average at that as well.

Prime Junta

Huh, I hadn't been paying any attention to Bethesda so I had completely missed this. I am mildly intrigued, world can always use another space sandbox.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I have to admit that if you take an elf from the magickal forest and call him a Vulcan from another planet, I'd be way more interested in the same kind of crap.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Imagine though, this is the first Bethesda game they have to create their own lore for to butcher.

:hmmm:

nil

Cipher
Starfield shouldn't be confused for a rocket engineering sim, though. "We have to gamify it some," said Howard, "so that it's not as punishing as actual space travel."
Meanwhile at Bethesda:

"Guys, how do I turn off gravity? If I set it to zero, I get a divide by zero exception."
"What? Why do you want to turn it off?"
"The planets keep falling down..."
"Goddammit, Bob! We talked about this! You don't turn off gravity, you give everything the same weight, so everything falls at the same speed-"
"-so the player can't see it, I remember now! Thanks!"

ZVERMIX

Learned
Patron
Insert Title Here My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Imagine though, this is the first Bethesda game they have to create their own lore for to butcher.
Well they did create TES universe. And some of the guys from the early-mid 90s are still there. Todd Mentioned that they have a lot of 20+ years veterans and he isn't the most senior member of the dev team (he started in 94, right after Arena).
Say anything about TES, but it does have some cool lore (even tho you have to read literal books in-game to get to most of it).

todd wont say anythnig that fucker

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom