Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTwP is the Same as TB the Only Difference Being You Pick The T

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Turn based has no simeltaneous actions and thus does not simulate reality

Context depending, it is supposed to simulate actions that take place in a realtime event. Hence all the timeunits/actionpoints, sequential orders, rounds and AOO's. The presentation is just so abstract, that it can be hard to tell.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like real time

I like turn based

But RTwP usually is just an unholy abomination made by forcing the mechanics of turn based systems into a real time system and it usually ends up being some half-assed shit

Sharpedge

Prophet
Both modes have their own purposes. If you want to simulate a castle under siege for example, you wouldn't want to do it in turn based, since having 100+ friendly+hostile creatures all going at it could take all day to resolve. Too bad this gets overused as an excuse to throw tons of trash encounters at players, instead of only placing 1 or 2, where it makes sense and is appropriate. Overall I would say turn based is great for micromanagement, where you want to manage every individual thing at once and rtwp is great for macromanagement, where you aren't necessarily interested in managing all the fine details, but you want to manage the entire scenario at once. They are however, distinctly different game modes.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Both modes have their own purposes. If you want to simulate a castle under siege for example, you wouldn't want to do it in turn based, since having 100+ friendly+hostile creatures all going at it could take all day to resolve. Too bad this gets overused as an excuse to throw tons of trash encounters at players, instead of only placing 1 or 2, where it makes sense and is appropriate. Overall I would say turn based is great for micromanagement, where you want to manage every individual thing at once and rtwp is great for macromanagement, where you aren't necessarily interested in managing all the fine details, but you want to manage the entire scenario at once. They are however, distinctly different game modes.

Nonsense!

ToEE has proven monsters can act simultaneously.
The engine makes the calculations in the background (acquiring targets and battle resolution) and then shows the results all at once or by waves of 10+ enemies, maybe even by area of the battlefield to reduce confusion.

Or just extremely fast paced enemy turns ...

Curratum

Turn based is cool for blobbers because they're already super abstract and you have no toons of all characters onscreen. Having the entire world freeze while each toon does their attack / animation / spell is retarded in anything isometric.

Puteo

Learned
The difference is simple:

Turn-based = Good

RTwP = Shit

Happy to answer any further questions you may have like "is eating paint chips a good idea"

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Turn based is cool for blobbers because they're already super abstract and you have no toons of all characters onscreen. Having the entire world freeze while each toon does their attack / animation / spell is retarded in anything isometric.

Blobbers aren't turn-based, they are phase-based (except Might & Magic-type games, which are the minority)

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
When you turn on all the signals in Feedback Pause option you barely has the concept of real time (with pause) and quite hard to differentiate with TB because of all the pause.

For fuck's sake, mans~ Do you guys even touch the options screen?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
That's just a cheap and annoying feature in which you give new orders every other second, it doesn't change a thing, it's still a "RTS" game with more micro-management, makes me feel like these chrono trigger clones with an action bar.

Never saw the fun in that, people loving RTwP don't like cRPG, they just like RTS with RPG elements (and story/romances, of course)

:shredder:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Blobbers aren't turn-based, they are phase-based
Some are turn-based.
Not really in a lot of blobbers there is not endless amount of time for you to react. Enemies do have a few seconds in between actions and could kill you if you don't act. Nothing in common with turn based.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Blobbers aren't turn-based, they are phase-based
Some are turn-based.
Not really in a lot of blobbers there is not endless amount of time for you to react. Enemies do have a few seconds in between actions and could kill you if you don't act. Nothing in common with turn based.
You've played some of the Might and Magics right? Those are turn-based.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

I don't have an extensive blobber knowledge, but what are some western examples that do that?

I think that's more of a jap thing.

Mustawd

I don't have an extensive blobber knowledge, but what are some western examples that do that?

I think that's more of a jap thing.

He means the real time blobbers like Grimrock. You know, the crappy kind.

Also, Etrian Odyssey doesn’t have timed combat. Neither does Elminage Gothic or jap Wizardry games afaik. Which jap ones are you referring to?

Curratum

Grimrock is the only modern blobber worth playing, I have no idea what you're on about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom