Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Urtuk: The Desolation - open-world dark fantasy turn-based RPG

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
Hi folks,

in the past two months we were hardworking on the game, and didn't have any major updates to write about. Basically just adding more content, polishing, fixing and balancing.

Today I want to summarize what the state of the game is, well after 3.5 years of development.

The game is an party adventuring roleplay where you with the main character, Urtuk, and his companions, travel across a destroyed, hostile world and try to find the Cure for Urtuk. The traveling part is done in a semi open-world. Player controls a party on an overworld map and moves from node to node without any restrictions. The world consists out of 4 zones, and each zone is quite big, containing about 100 nodes to visit. In any zone there are moving parties - hostile or neutral. Those can be local bandits or some deserters from nearby army.. You can engage them in a battle or solve issues associated with them.

The movement in the world is done in turns. When you visit a place, you can encounter enemies to fight or reveal some special event. There are trading posts and black markets - places where you can find new mercenaries, equipment or other exotic resources like alcohol, medicine, etc..

The world is quite alive, and by each day (turn), there is something going on. We added a dynamic system which does affect the world and player can be involved! And by engagement, he can change quite a thing as the world progresses. As mentioned before, there is a global threat - Karwla. This is a hostile, savage species, beasts from Underground, emerging from the ground up, destroying anyone in the zone. Karwla will appear after some time in any given zone, so player has few time to stay.

We implemented new biomes for the world. Each zone has its own biome thus specific visuals and battle mechanics.

image.axd

image.axd

image.axd

image.axd

For example, in the Undergrounds (dungeon) there are 'holes' hex tiles which cause instant death when pushed into. In the Abyss, there is the deadly lava. In Swamps, you can find toxic mushrooms or growing poisonous thorns.. Of course, there is always a completely different enemy type in each biome. Along with bosses!

A very tough opponent in battles are the Karwla. They have powerful traits and can obligate player's units in one good swing! But it is on the player if he really wants to fight them.

Character development - we already have added many mechanics which evolve as the player plays the battles. Just to summarize, each character has its own natural traits, unlockable traits (by level), unlockable traits (by "doing", and we call them achievement traits), special traits - "Strong VS .." (very powerful, but player has to find out what the character is strong against), then traits from Perks (can be found in the world). Also any unit on battlefield is prone to "stress". If a given threshold of stress is reached, the unit will "panic" and loose 3 turns.

We plan to release another 'closed beta' build, so if you are interested, give us a shout, best place to join is our Discord - https://discord.gg/zeNfS9q. You can also download the latest 'beta' build from the discord channel, we maintain it there and update it very frequently!

So stay tuned, as we are pretty close to an 'early access' build!

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Thanks for the news, will the closed beta be available through the link ?
I'm checking it every now and then, was waiting for version 0.9 to test it again.

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
You can join the beta right now, and yes the link references latest builds for all platforms. We discuss the beta feedback, suggestions and bugs on that discord channel. Would be happy to see you around ;)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Ok, i've played through the first area a couple of times, didn't reach the boss but played quite a bit.

The testing so far

First try, hard mode with the crossbow team, was really hard, probably because i didn't remember enough but the lack of healing makes the beginning very hard. [4/5 fights]
Second, the team with the rogue (i really like the rogue) on normal, found it too easy until the kawla caught up with me, destroyed the first group of 4 (5 party members + the semi useful villager blacksmith) but i was cornered and had to fight a group of 8 next, which i didn't, instead, i started again. [got a long way, until i was cornered, close to the exit in a dead end]
Third try, hard mode with the priest party, didn't recruit anyone but got a "monster" swordman on the way, was alright but some scavenger parties are really tough and healing can be an issue. [crossed half the map probably half the testing i went through in the normal run]

What i think

Party selection and items
- Interesting change, i like it
--> suggestion : a way to know who can equip which weapon, for new players, i think it's important.

Difficulty mode
- On hard mode, you get 2 crossbowmen in every encounter, they're annoying and it's not fun to face the same party compositions over and over
- There's a gap between normal mode and hard one, either that or my first try put me back in the saddle because i found the normal mode very easy compared to the hard mode
--> suggestion : a fourth difficulty mode between normal and hard

Aldehyde
- easy to forget to apply them, couldn't they be applied 2x on a random enemy if you forgot ?
- Apparently, you can't extract Kawla skills anymore, it was the only reason to fight them as far as i know, is it going to be available later in the game ?

Panic
- At first, i found it alright, enemy crossbowmen panic easily, why not, then, i had the priest panicking once when an ally took a lot of damage while nobody had died in my team an half the enemies were dead, i don't think it should work that way.
- Worst, next turn, he was walking on "thorns/pikes" 2 adjacent tiles back and forth, 4 movement point, 4 movement on the same two spikes tiles, it was truly infuriating, after that, an enemy crossbowman finished him with one shot (he was full health before that circus)

Items :
- Legendary items overwriting focus ability are a letdown, sometimes, it's a keeper, sometimes, you just wish you could keep the original focus ability but use the item anyway, which you can't, is it difficult to implement ? It would be an interesting feature.

Map
- The "world map" is bigger, i can't say i like your world map at all, beside, the paths between the nodes aren't really clear and there is a lot of dead end.
- Traveling scavengers can be annoying in hard mode, some groups (regular scavengers) can have 2 mini bosses and are chasing you, i don't like that feature very much either.
--> suggestions : grouped with encounters

Encounters
- I feel like they were more hand made encounters in the last version i played, here, it's mostly randomly generated, which is far inferior to handcrafted encounters.

Suggestions :
- What about the Fantasy General world map ? Some missions have alternatives unlocking some special missions and unlocking different heroes.
- As for the encounters, i like the Warbanners approach very much, very well handcrafted encounters on handcrafted maps which makes each fight interesting (there's about 40 missions to finish the game or close to it)

That's it for now, i hope it helps.

Last edited:

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
Thanks a lot for this informative feedback - really made me think about your points!
Couple of questions if you don't mind:
1. panic - you think it is too game-breaking? Should we limit the uses?
2. world map - what don't you like the most of it? Besides the visuals not clear enough.. The roaming scavengers were 'experimental' and might go completely away..
3. how about the combat? Did you like it? We introduced many new features like the said panic, or fatigue..

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Thanks a lot for this informative feedback - really made me think about your points!
Couple of questions if you don't mind:
1. panic - you think it is too game-breaking? Should we limit the uses?
2. world map - what don't you like the most of it? Besides the visuals not clear enough.. The roaming scavengers were 'experimental' and might go completely away..
3. how about the combat? Did you like it? We introduced many new features like the said panic, or fatigue..

Panic
Panic might be game breaking for the player, specially since healing injuries isn't cheap, i like the feature in Battle Brothers but here with a limited number of units, it might be too powerful, even if only your foes panic.

Exploration
Exploration is fine but having to travel this map with dead ends and unclear path while you know your time is limited doesn't do it for me, i already don't like the time restraint that much, that's why i stood my ground and kicked the kawla in the nuts on the previous build (turns out doing so, i leveled my troops too much making the other areas easier).
Besides, there isn't a worthy reward to do so.

Markets are marked on the map, all you need to do is gather resources in mines and then buy stuff, i don't think we should be able to buy legendary weapons nor pay to recruit monsters, i liked it better when you had to find the right area and get them to join you by beating their captors or a boss.

In some of the best tactical games with RPG elements you can find some special characters through exploration, that's what makes it worth it, if there is no big secret to discover it is not.

Fatigue
The fatigue feature makes the game harder for the player, it's difficult enough to get the enemy where you want him but the fatigue prevents you from using your strategic tools to the fullest.
I'm ok with the ranged support having to rest every turn if he supports every unit in range, it's powerful enough but a warrior tired after acting and then supporting another unit once seems a bit too fast.
Sometimes, they can't even go through their multiple attack (strong against ... )

I'm not sure you need it and if you do, the game probably need feat restoring fatigue and a fatigue bar so we can manage it.

The game is still fun but i had far less fun testing this build than the one from march.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
What i think you should do (it's just my opinion though)

You had a very good combat system with your march build with small balancing to do, specially on the Kawla, you fixed this, you should build on this, not sure the fatigue + panic systems are keepers and i'm not sure the combats need something like that anyway.

Maybe you should focus on the story (if you plan to have one), work on your world maps to make them meaningful with some secrets to spice up the exploration and the most important, handcrafted encounters with battle objectives which made the success of a lot oc PC and consoles Tactical RPG.

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
you're right with the map being not interesting to explore right now. Still is something we experiment with. But for the 'dead-end' nodes - I'll add some rewards/quests - it has to be worthwhile to visit.

As for the encounters - I am currently working on these so don't worry, there will be plenty..

I'll probably remove the central trading post, and leave just the 'secret' black market. Also you're right with leg.items in shop - it should be buyable, the player should find it as reward not just buy with resources.. Maybe as cost add some very specific resource? Will experiment...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I did, i also had a bug with it the first time i opened it while the party window was open as well, couldn't close the rumor window even after the party one was closed, finally managed to close it after an epic fight with my mouse clicking everywhere, i think i had to click under the close button or aiming the bottom part of the button.

I'm not sure how i feel about it, that's why i didn't mention it.
There's too many info available but on the other hand, we need these infos and time is limited ...

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
thanks for the bug report.

The rumor system is kind of a guidance for player to just know what's going on the world map. There are still other quests going on without the rumors. I'll try to make more meaning to it.

An example would be this rumor:
"A legendary warrior has been seen in the North of your position dwelling into dungeon to eradicate cavern beasts. But since 5 days, he has not returned."

-> now if player manages to find his spot under some time threshold, say 10days, he will rescue him and the warrior will join the party. If player comes too late, he just finds his corpse and some gear after him..
So the rumors should be really only rumors and thus can change in time..

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Great idea.

I also liked the monster units with special perks / drawbacks you could enlist after rescuing them, i hope they're still here even if the murderous one could be a problem with the healing restrictions, maybe it's less of an issue later.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Bug Report :

My bad, it was the battle report screen + rumor.
Combat report (don't close it) + click the rumor button = 2 windows you can't close
This time, i can't seem to be able to close them.

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
Great idea.

I also liked the monster units with special perks / drawbacks you could enlist after rescuing them, i hope they're still here even if the murderous one could be a problem with the healing restrictions, maybe it's less of an issue later.

yes still there, I have altered that quest slightly - he won't be that murderous anymore :)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'll wait for next build then, i tried to restart but now i found out how to reproduce the bug, i'm just doing it over and over again and of course, i don't save enough.

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
Hi!

new build available - 0.82.00 (Vampires & Werebeasts)

- world map - new quests types(and rewards) & encounters added (more are coming!)
- removed trading post from map, only Black Market remains. The trade offers were updated as well.
- new game features - Vampires & Werebeasts - your char. can be infected and can transform, so be wary!
- gx updates - your adventurers, when low on HP, have better visuals to reflect the injuries
- nerfed panic system, removed bloat text about your weaknesses when hovering mouse over
- Strong VS .. is now available also for ranged characters!
- tons of balancing(!), updates on QoL features, improvements
- added 12 premade(handcrafted) maps for battlefields

Download the beta build from here:

https://mega.nz/#F!9wRFSCaT!TF57BNnJqyeTvGaZvCVDgA

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
Looks great, except maybe for the medicine, is there more medicine sources planned ?

yes sure. The medicine is the most valuable resource in the game - so I'll add it as reward for some very special quests on the edges of the map, where I plan to be the most difficult area of the map..
Maybe even as a 'product' of some special perk/character (="doctor" - that medicine would maybe produced from flesh/blood & alcohol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom