Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cael

Arcane
After the boring shit that was NWN2 armour, you'd think the idiots would come up with something better. But nooooo. Muh realism! In a game with wizards throwing fireballs...
The funny part is people often bring up the argument that dragons, monsters, wizards throwing fireballs etc. are realistic 'within that setting' yet armour design is apparently where the line is drawn. What gives?
I'm not necessarily saying that's the case here, but I've noticed it frequently enough for me to wonder why equipment (especially weaponry) has to be as realistic as possible.
I am not sure, but it may be something that was started by the usual lunatic fringe about chainmail bikinis and snowballed from there.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
i would love to get to kill Drizzt again

AC Lord:

drizzt.jpg

Vorpal on 1st hit:

drizzt2.jpg

Neanderthal

Arcane
After the boring shit that was NWN2 armour, you'd think the idiots would come up with something better. But nooooo. Muh realism! In a game with wizards throwing fireballs...
The funny part is people often bring up the argument that dragons, monsters, wizards throwing fireballs etc. are realistic 'within that setting' yet armour design is apparently where the line is drawn. What gives?
I'm not necessarily saying that's the case here, but I've noticed it frequently enough for me to wonder why equipment (especially weaponry) has to be as realistic as possible.

Well these are all fantastic elements, without the mundane to contrast them then there is no fantastic, though spells, wizards, fireballs, dragons, monsters etc have all made appearances in the mythology and history of the real world so if you want no realism you'll have to look further. Personally I just don't like arms and armour that look retarded.

Prick in that video above's just retarded though. Well it's Youtube, that's obvious.

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I am not sure, but it may be something that was started by the usual lunatic fringe about chainmail bikinis and snowballed from there.
Some do it for sjw reasons but it's mostly people focused on female characters.
I just like functional looking gear personally. It's an extension of how we naturally perceive beauty. People who are ugly are thought to be dysgenic. The functional is attractive.
You can have some creative license and still have it look functional, like Dark Souls armor.

Do you really think this
HePKmrg.jpg

Looks worse than abominations like these ?

3TtpsM0.jpg

That I have to be a sjw to think this look like absolute garbage ?

Shrimp

Arbiter
When given the choice I also prefer equipment grounded in realistic designs compared to their more fantastical counterparts, but ultimately it's not a deal-breaker.
I guess I'm just intrigued by the sheer amount of sperging that tends to derive from discussions about realism when it comes to weapons and armour in fantasy.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Darklands?

I don't know if we can talk about any kind of realism with 16 bit graphics.

I think the issue is that, due to the overabundance of ornate, fantastical armors, the more "mundane" or realistic appearance of such has become, to some extent, more exotic in today's games, and therefore have gained a large sense of appeal. Also, the human eye is good at catching bullshit, so it is pleased with something which is both functional and aesthetically pleasing - and remember, Medieval and Renaissance armour were built with both function, looks, AND comfort in mind.

I agree. This issue is when armor gets abundance of clutter on it where you can't see clearly what's going on.
Even high fantasy setting can look clean, beautiful and functional.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
i would love to get to kill Drizzt again

AC Lord:

drizzt.jpg

Vorpal on 1st hit:

drizzt2.jpg
Why kill the dude when you could pickpocket him ?!
Why wouldn't you kill an elf?

Cause you can fuck the elf instead.
What he said,no better race than elfs for sex slaves and brothel employs. :obviously:
I never got why people like the those defects the dwarfs. Small hairy,smelly,greedy,slow and drinks piss.....you can't even fuck it. Only thing that they could do is dig in the dirt. Now if they drinking real alcohol i could get behind it,but they are even poor drunks. Drink a few beers and go get butthurt attacking random people.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You know at times I thought it is a good idea to ask for more accurate weapons armor and settings, but mostly due to WoW aesthetic dominating the genre. But for some reason even knowledgeable people end up crazy fanatics and the way it's going, HEMA folk turn into satire themselves. So I don't know anymore.

Never played that shit but what you call WoW aesthetic doesn't exist, Wow didn't start the trend, it merely followed it and became popular so of course, younglings would think they invented tepid water ...

Vulpes

Scholar

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
ITT has Grunker, it's all the bioware veteran you need.
[Saerileth] has a well-developed personality, and romancing her has been more fun that it ever was with the Bioware NPC's . . . . all in all, this must be one of the best mods for BG2 that I've ever tried, especially because I enjoyed the quests that came with her.
--Grunker

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom