Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Cael

Arcane
Even with turn-undead I can’t hurt these death knights. These guys are fucking strong, holy shit.

The idea was to turn the skellies so you can pick off the knights by themselves.

What mods you got? I love shit that makes the game harder.
Aurills Bane, and the other one is item upgrades. Bro, with 6 animated undeads and all my team cannot kill one solo death knight, that’s the problem.
What sort of weapons do you have and what is your fighter's strength? I recall that a high strength single-class fighter with two +2 blades had no problem taking out Death Knights in Durlag's. Maybe IWD is different? I don't recall it as I don't play it often. I vastly prefer IWD2.
I only have access to +1 Longswords that I know of, and I have 18/70, 18/92 strength for my 2 fighters.
Hmm... I think you are about +2/+3 behind in terms of to-hit and damage from strength and weapons alone. That said, I had 5 dots in my preferred weapon at that stage, and 2/3 dots in dual wield, IIRC, and so might have even higher advantages and number of attacks. And, of course, being a BG game, I had full plate + AC boosting equipment out the wazoo + Helm/Cloak of Balduran and that psycho melee gauntlets from the Firewine Bridge.

So, I think it is mainly due to differences in equipment, and that is something that you can't "fix", unfortunately.

I will probably have to savescum critical hits cause I can’t do shit beyond that. Wish me luck.
Good luck, bud. Seems like a crazy way to do it. How about just turn down the difficulty until that part is over?
I’ll probably do that. After all it is a mod addition so I don’t feel as bad.
Better than hitting a wall and giving up on the game :D

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I played IWD with Auril's Bane, but I don't recall Death Knights (or am I thinking of Doom Knights?) so early in the game. Do you have a screenshot of them?
And have you tried backstabbing?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I played IWD with Auril's Bane, but I don't recall Death Knights (or am I thinking of Doom Knights?) so early in the game. Do you have a screenshot of them?
And have you tried backstabbing?
I can’t upload a picture cause my internet is fucking crazy shit right now, but yes their called “Death Knights” and I read an old thread on Sorcerers, someone asking the same question, from what they said it’s RNG, just hope you can kill or turn difficulty down. I don’t have the tools or gears to deal with them at level 4/5.

laclongquan

Arcane
If the Death Knights were set to be too higher level than your party, Turn Undead simply dont work. I found that out in IWD2 Heart of Fury mode, and I imagine it's the same if that is a mod you install on IWD1.

I dont play your game so I dont know but

1. Send in waves of summons to wear the DKs down. When 2-3 down you summon the new batch to help the old batch.
2. Or you can invisible 2-3 characters and block the death knight from going near the rest. Then wear it down with ranged attack. They dont resist bullet/arrows/bolts, right?

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
If the Death Knights were set to be too higher level than your party, Turn Undead simply dont work. I found that out in IWD2 Heart of Fury mode, and I imagine it's the same if that is a mod you install on IWD1.

1. Send in waves of summons to wear the DKs down. When 2-3 down you summon the new batch to help the old batch.
2. Or you can invisible 2-3 characters and block the death knight from going near the rest. Then wear it down with ranged attack. They dont resist bullet/arrows/bolts, right?
I shot them with 40 arrows 2 hit for 1 damage and I can’t buy +1 arrows. I’m about to cheese with difficulty settings because waves of summons doesn’t do shit to them. The problem is not singling him out, that’s easy it’s just 1 of these damn knights can kill my waves of summons and all my party memebers.

Cael

Arcane

He is level 4. There is no way he will be able to handle something that even a full party of level 8s with all the crazy loot BG throws at you would have trouble handling.

Remember in Gold Box, a Death Knight would wipe the floor with a full party of 6 level 14s.

laclongquan

Arcane
In which case you might risking it with this

1. Get user of crushing weapons like hammer, throwing hammer, warhammer, staff... Skelly class are weak against crushing and strong against piercing/slashing.
2. Send that one in to hit once, twice. Withdraw it immediately once it's hit to heal.
3. Repeat.

It is a risky business because DK use 2hand sword and thus has longer range, higher damage.

What's your level, anyway?

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Even on the easiest settings his AC his to high. I can’t hit him no matter what.
Is there and external way to kill him because I think I’ll be stuck on this part forever.

Cael

Arcane
Even on the easiest settings his AC his to high. I can’t hit him no matter what.
Is there and external way to kill him because I think I’ll be stuck on this part forever.
If you enable cheats, Ctrl-Q (or was it Ctrl-Y?) was the kill button in BG, I think. Might be worth a shot in IWD.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Aurill’s bane adds some new stuff but I didn’t know it would do something like this.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Holy hell, I used the instant heal key to kill
One of them and they give 14000 XP. But I won’t take their XP, the kill command doesn’t give it to you thankfully.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
In which case you might risking it with this

1. Get user of crushing weapons like hammer, throwing hammer, warhammer, staff... Skelly class are weak against crushing and strong against piercing/slashing.
2. Send that one in to hit once, twice. Withdraw it immediately once it's hit to heal.
3. Repeat.

It is a risky business because DK use 2hand sword and thus has longer range, higher damage.

What's your level, anyway?
Level 4.

Cael

Arcane
One of them and they give 14000 XP. But I won’t take their XP, the kill command doesn’t give it to you thankfully.
A 14k XP mob at level 4 is pretty retarded dungeon design. Two of them plus more points to the maker being a sadist with psychopathic tendencies.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
A 14k XP mob at level 4 is pretty retarded dungeon design. Two of them plus more points to the maker being a sadist with psychopathic tendencies.
So, what level are these guys meant for?

Cael

Arcane
So, what level are these guys meant for?
Let me put it this way: Driz'zt was 12k XP and he is a level 16 Drow Ranger (so about level 18 because of drow bonuses and abilities) with very high end equipment including the equivalent of a scimitar +6.

Did you install a mod meant for original IWD on the EE or something? I've used Auril's Bane before and I'm fairly certain that shouldn't happen. Maybe something mixed up and you got a spawn meant for HoW mode in regular difficulty?

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Did you install a mod meant for original IWD on the EE or something? I've used Auril's Bane before and I'm fairly certain that shouldn't happen. Maybe something mixed up and you got a spawn meant for HoW mode in regular difficulty?
Someone said that as well. I’m not on EE. I’m not sure the only other mod I have is Item upgrade. Plus their was a thread on Sorcerers back in 2004 asking about death knights so it’s definitely not an EE thing.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Can you leave that Death Knights part and return later on?

Because the only thing a level 4 party can use to hurt that sucker is a heal scroll, which either you (can) buy or loot.
No, I had to cheat kill him. I could not go anyway else.

Curratum

Jesus fucking Christ, you can really tell Sawyer made this thing...

"FEAR MY LEGION OF THE UNDEAD!" *resource-draining annoying encounter follows*

*1 minute later*

"YOU KILLED MY LEGION, BUT HOW ABOUT THIS NEW LEGION!" *literally the same encounter follows*

*1 minute later*

"AH, I SEE YOU ARE STRONG, BUT WHAT ABOUT THIS COMPLETELY NEW LEGION!" *LITERALLY THE SAME FUCKING ENCOUNTER FOR THE THIRD TIME*

I sorta quit at that spot, if I have to do this shit one more time, I'm deleting the game.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I always have fun killing those hordes of cold wights. There are only three or four of them, so you're almost through.

agris

Arcane
Patron
When you're playing a classic game for the first time, you should always go vanilla, since you're bound to come back to it later anyway.

Aurill’s bane adds some new stuff but I didn’t know it would do something like this.

Smaug, take good advice when it's given. You're experiencing first hand what a lot of IE vets take for granted - a ton of the item/spell/encounter mods for the IEs are shit. They massively unbalance the game in various ways, providing challenge through dumb means (like you're experiencing right now) or trivialize significant challenges with the introduction of xp/spells/items.

We are quite lucky to have people like DavidW, Avenger, and others putting together high quality content - but don't confuse them with the rest. 99% of the mods are shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom