Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

sullynathan

Arcane
I farmed from lvl 80 to lvl 176. I still have shit weapons but they do more damage now. What I need are more rift crystals to unlock the BBI stuff I collected.

Shrimp

Arbiter
You're playing in offline mode, right? Sadly the best way to get rift crystals is by having people hire your pawn so I'm not sure how long it'd take to farm a large amount of crystals through monster drops.

sullynathan

Arcane
You're playing in offline mode, right? Sadly the best way to get rift crystals is by having people hire your pawn so I'm not sure how long it'd take to farm a large amount of crystals through monster drops.
Yup offline. Luckily, there's YouTube tutorials for farming rift crystals outside of pawn shenanigans and killing enemies. I got alot 25k RC in an hour and half. It's bad that it's based on exploiting the random loot drops.

How much rift crystals would someone earn by sending their pawns out?

Shrimp

Arbiter
Yup offline. Luckily, there's YouTube tutorials for farming rift crystals outside of pawn shenanigans and killing enemies. I got alot 25k RC in an hour and half. It's bad that it's based on exploiting the random loot drops.

How much rift crystals would someone earn by sending their pawns out?
I remember getting several hundreds of thousands of crystals when resting at an inn. It's absurdly fast compared to farming monsters (assuming someone hires your pawn)
I don't know how the equation works, but I believe it's based on the amount of XP given by the monsters killed by the party that has rented your pawn.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Just to be curious, what vocation did everyone play the most/enjoy the most? What gear did you end the game with?
started as a strider, during the game i switched to fighter and warrior for their augments. Ended up being an assassin since it's the most versatile vocation (imo). My main pawn was a sorcerer.
Endgame gear - bbi lv3 farmed from Daimon.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Just to be curious, what vocation did everyone play the most/enjoy the most? What gear did you end the game with?
Twice I've played characters transferring from fighter to warrior to mystic knight. Mystic knight has more versatility than the warrior vocation, and warriors have much greater raw offensive power than fighters, so mystic knight > warrior > fighter.

Twice I've played characters transferring from mage to sorcerer. The powerful offensive spells of the sorcerer vocation make them more fun and effective than the mage vocation, so sorcerer > mage.

Twice I've played characters starting as strider and eventually transferring between some combination of assassin, magick archer, and ranger. Although the magick archer vocation is overpowered, I didn't enjoy it very much, and I found the ranger vocation to be overly reliant on bows at the expense of its melee capabilities, so probably assassin = strider > ranger > magick archer. Although I mostly played assassin in BBI, I did switch back to strider sometimes (and checked out the magick archer vocation there, too).

I've enjoyed all three types of character vocation offered by Dragon's Dogma about equally, so I can't rank the playthroughs described above.

sullynathan

Arcane
Just completed the game and I have mixed feelings. Bitterblack Isle is an overall disappointment. Nothing is worse than getting a weapon that does nearly triple the damage of your last and it still barely harms a shitty drake. Everything in Bitterblack Isle is done for more and more farming, something I had less patience for. I could've just beat the game 15 hours ago if I knew this was what was awaiting me.

Seriously, the final boss who is a god dies to two hits from my bow yet a shitty drake takes more than 100 hits just to take half of one of his 8 health bars. At that point, I knew I wasn't gonna do this shit twice just to run to daimon and fight him again while fighting almost all the exact same enemies.

I have no drive to replay the game anytime soon because I already fought every single enemy, did every by the numbers quest and tried every single class and maxed nearly all of them within the same playthrough.

Dragon's Dogma can be enjoyable but it has a lot of problems, and I certainly didn't like how the later portions of the game boiled down to farming the Everfall or Bitterblack Isle for random loot drops and high health enemy sponges. Sp please Capcom, make a worthwhile sequel sometime.

Hyperion

Arcane
I knew I wasn't gonna do this shit twice just to run to daimon and fight him again while fighting almost all the exact same enemies.
If that's what you think, you're in for a pretty rude awakening.

Room before The Fallen City is 100% chance to have some combination of a Firedrake and Frostwyrm (the upgraded versions of both), possibly 2 of 1 type. The Fallen City may have something like 11 Eliminators roaming, with 3 Living Armors blocking the entrance to Daimon, and Wyverns roaming around, with every enemy killed giving an increased chance to spawn a Zombie Dragon.

Round 2 is when the real fun begins.

sullynathan

Arcane
I knew I wasn't gonna do this shit twice just to run to daimon and fight him again while fighting almost all the exact same enemies.
If that's what you think, you're in for a pretty rude awakening.

Room before The Fallen City is 100% chance to have some combination of a Firedrake and Frostwyrm (the upgraded versions of both), possibly 2 of 1 type. The Fallen City may have something like 11 Eliminators roaming, with 3 Living Armors blocking the entrance to Daimon, and Wyverns roaming around, with every enemy killed giving an increased chance to spawn a Zombie Dragon.

Round 2 is when the real fun begins.
Bunch of health sponges that I have little chance against unless I farm random loot boxes and hope for good items when I purify them.

sullynathan

Arcane
A future sequel/ spiritual successor has a lot to learn from monster hunter world and dmc5 in terms of combat and interactivity.

Capcom needs to scrap the games balancing and random loot.

Questing and open world needs a complete overhaul. I end up agreeing with the other user that said BBI isn't what dragon's dogma should be.

Hyperion

Arcane
All of them have easily exploitable weaknesses that allow you to kill them in seconds with proper equipment, class, and spell setups.

Eliminators have pitiful defenses, and are extremely weak to Ice. Hitting their head also staggers them very reliably as well as doing extra damage. In fact, a Mystic Knight with 'decent' (read: Everfall + BBI Lv 1) gear, Ice Enchanted weapon, and Abyssal Anguish cast can kill one in a single combo.

Firedrakes and Icewyrms are tricky when together because it's hectic. Former has massive physical defense, but bad magic defense and has a huge weakness to Ice. It also whips its tail, charges, jumps, and quickly swipes its claws, pretty much telling you ranged Ice attacks are the way to go.
The latter has no physical defense, massive magic attack, and a brutal weakness to Fire. It stands still and casts (fucking quickly) some nasty spells, that can be easily interrupted by focusing its heart, and causing it to stagger. Their hearts are also in differing spots, so know where to stand for each. Icewyrm's is closer to its stomach than chest. Drake is normal. Wyvern's is on its back.

Zombie Dragon is massively weak to Fire and Holy. If you stand between all 4 of its legs it pretty much can't hit you as long as you stay with it. 1-2 Stone Forests depending on your strength is a guaranteed Stagger and large chunk of health.

Living Armors are immune to physical once their armor is broken off, and only the ghost portion remains. Spells, Holy enchanted weapons and the like tear it to shreds. 2 Great Cannons, and a well placed Full Moon Slash will do 3-4 bars of health.

I farm random loot boxes
They aren't random. They're a fixed seed, the pattern for which is readily available on the wiki. The game will always give you an item that pertains to your or your main pawn's current class, which lets you save scum and snipe gear. Or take what you get and use a new class around a new weapon.

sullynathan

Arcane
They aren't random. They're a fixed seed, the pattern for which is readily available on the wiki. The game will always give you an item that pertains to your or your main pawn's current class, which lets you save scum and snipe gear. Or take what you get and use a new class around a new weapon.
Read the wiki for shit that isn't explained in the game and keep on farming for gear from the same group of enemies is what you're telling me and what I've already done. What more is there to gain and what fun is fun is there to be had now that I've exhausted all the content in game?

Hyperion

Arcane
Read the wiki for shit that isn't explained in the game and keep on farming for gear from the same group of enemies is what you're telling me and what I've already done. What more is there to gain and what fun is fun is there to be had now that I've exhausted all the content in game?
MHW used an identical system for Decoration grinding. Everything in your above quote applies to MHW just as much, if not more than DD, because the item pool is that much larger. Plus, you can unwittingly skip tons of seeds via different level Decorations, and the Crafting Stones.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Almost everything in BBI is vulnerable to lightning. If you didn't go through it a second time then you missed out as it spawns harder encounters the second time around and has a harder form of Daimon. It's not really worth it to farm the armor sets, takes too much time, but it's easy to get the best weapon for your class.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
it's easy to get the best weapon for your class.
Well, it's easy to get the best dagger, sword, greatsword, bows or staves. Getting the best magic bow or magic shield is a fucking bitch because of how the system weights things towards your pawns as well and the fact the class itself has two weapon types already.

From what I recall the best way to go about things was to farm a bit in the arenas. Gorecyclops can drop lvl 2 weapons or shittons of riftcrystals, and a lot of the possible encounters are just massive free piles of crystals and xp for a decent character.

Anyways it's too bad you felt the need to grind so much instead of figuring out enemy weaknesses or making use of buffs. 4x magick buff will let you annihilate pretty much anything that isn't immune to whatever you're using, it's one of the things that makes magic archer so OP. And I had a blast just exploring BBI, it has so many hidden chests and secret passages and the like, it's easily my favourite dungeon I've ever seen in an action game.

sullynathan

Arcane
MHW used an identical system for Decoration grinding. Everything in your above quote applies to MHW just as much, if not more than DD, because the item pool is that much larger. Plus, you can unwittingly skip tons of seeds via different level Decorations, and the Crafting Stones.
Decorations are far less important to the actual game than farming for weapons here are.
Your actual weapons are still effective in MH World without specific specs and aren't just doing chip damage because I didn't use a 4X damage buff.

Fight a fire drake with a magic archer. The damage is too low with the bow and I'll end up with for a good 20 + minutes just to beat it. Not because it's close to hard, but because it has a massive health pool and pawns are too stupid to even enchant weapons, attack the heart or finish casting spells even when they're 90% finished.

The alternative would be to just play a sorcerer, but I've already beaten these enemies and a large chunk of the game as a sorcerer and I'm not going back.

Anyways it's too bad you felt the need to grind so much instead of figuring out enemy weaknesses or making use of buffs. 4x magick buff will let you annihilate pretty much anything that isn't immune to whatever you're using, it's one of the things that makes magic archer so OP. And I had a blast just exploring BBI, it has so many hidden chests and secret passages and the like, it's easily my favourite dungeon I've ever seen in an action game.
I'm pretty sure I figured out every enemies weakness in the game, it's how I fucked death a good 15 times to farm him for xp and how I killed daimon.

The way loot is handled sucks. Magic archer is left doing little damage in the game because I've only found 2 magic bows in the entire time I played. The alternative? More boss and rift crystal farming and crawling the same dungeon with near exact same level design on almost every floor.

Capcom didn't even think of a better way to earn rift crystals offline outside of that and the monster battles are also inferior to monster hunter to the point that I'm not interested in fighting the same enemies with their highly predictive moveset this much.

You're talking about gorecyclops? I've beat 6 of them and the loot was shit. Just more monster parts, no good weapons or armor.

Damned Registrations

They have to be the condemned ones, they have a chance to drop lvl 2 weapons, which are basically the best you can get pre daimon.

Dropped by Living Armor, Gorecyclops (Condemned), Eliminator, Cursed Dragon, Firedrake, Frostwyrm, or Thunderwyvern.

So basically all the shit that shows up when you bring fiend incense to an arena room.

The infuriating thing about the magic archer is that not only do their weapons only drop randomly (unlike the longbow that has a guaranteed drop behind a moonbeam gem door) but because their class is hybrid, their potential pool of weapons is larger, including shit like staves from mages and regular bows that they can't even use. They definitely should have made guaranteed drops for these things instead of shit like daggers that you can literally just fucking buy. Magick archers also have pretty bad magick stat growth for some retarded reason. But if you're playing a sorc their magick bows don't even have a chance to drop because they're in the 'archer' category despite having no physical component. :rage: God forbid you decided to balance your party by putting a warrior or fighter into it.

OTOH, you can kill pretty much anything in BBI with throwblasts and there's a room that has 20 sitting on a table before the first boss (enough to kill it) and it respawns the fucking things. Because balance.

sullynathan

Arcane
OTOH, you can kill pretty much anything in BBI with throwblasts and there's a room that has 20 sitting on a table before the first boss (enough to kill it) and it respawns the fucking things.
Found it a long time ago, I thouroughly beat BBI. It would be dumb of me to constantly pause, equip, throw, repeat ad nauseam for items like this. Like I previously said, Monster Hunter handled this far better and Capcom should remember for a potential sequel.

Damned Registrations

I'm like 90% sure you can set it up to just spam them, but I forget how. I remember doing what you describe and being ecstatic when I didn't need to any more.

Edit: can't find evidence of that on youtube though, probably remembering wrong and only used it to kill the beholder.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I don't remember how to do it with a gamepad, but if you're playing with KB and mouse on a PC you can assign number hotkeys to items in your inventory.

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm like 90% sure you can set it up to just spam them, but I forget how. I remember doing what you describe and being ecstatic when I didn't need to any more.

Edit: can't find evidence of that on youtube though, probably remembering wrong and only used it to kill the beholder.

I don't remember how to do it with a gamepad, but if you're playing with KB and mouse on a PC you can assign number hotkeys to items in your inventory.
you can hotkey on a keyboard, assign to dpad on current consoles, but not assign to dpad on controller on pc. Now imagine how inconvenient it is to constantly press 1 while playing with a controller.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom