Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can someone summarize to me the appeal of JRPGs?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
In all honesty on replay I was actually pretty bored by the Chrono Trigger battle system, which was very good for its time.
Set it to "Active" you fuckin' pussy.
The ATB is an abomination in every game it's been in. It makes the combat about retarded meta factors like animation lengths and queuing actions instead of actual character speeds or the effectiveness of turns.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I like their simplicity.
I don't like the anime-tier writing, though. That's a massive turn-off. I can deal with anime art, but not the writing. The less writing in a JRPG, the better it is. Vagrant Story I enjoy just fine because aside from plot cutscenes, there isn't any dialogue in the game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
they're garish can be extravagant, often not seriously serious, just games be games without any agendas, with combat systems maybe even turn based which don't put you to sleep or make wish it just all to end, do not shun lots of numbers and abilities in the systems or high difficulty, take place in settings you don't see in western games, the waifu factor is strong, and for some mysterious reason always have really badass soundracks, like take any JRPG of importance and you end up with at least a few new tracks on your playlist. universally polished and no bugs at least on the level of western games.

so yeah JRPGs, when I just want to relax and have some good gameplay, not take things serious seriously, just have fun, I go for a JRPG.

watching Yakuza LP now, looks fun.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The ATB is an abomination in every game it's been in. It makes the combat about retarded meta factors like animation lengths and queuing actions instead of actual character speeds or the effectiveness of turns.

Active Time Battle? I agree 1000%.

It turns me off every time. Frame lengths, button pressing speed? Yeah, fuck that. One of the worst ideas ever, honestly.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
In all honesty on replay I was actually pretty bored by the Chrono Trigger battle system, which was very good for its time.

Active Time Battle? I agree 1000%.

It turns me off every time. Frame lengths, button pressing speed? Yeah, fuck that. One of the worst ideas ever, honestly.
In other words, you both suck at it.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Should I just go fire up the latest Call of Duty while I'm at it?

Imagine turning turn based combat off in the options because you want to make fake difficulty from playing input commands as fast as possible instead of tacticool combat

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant

Should I just go fire up the latest Call of Duty while I'm at it?

Imagine turning turn based combat off in the options because you want to make fake difficulty from playing input commands as fast as possible instead of tacticool combat
And I suppose you think the clocks they use in Chess tournaments are bullshit too, eh? Come, just admit it: when pressed you can't think of a decent move fast enough.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
ATB is perfectly alright for me in the Wait setting (since there's a billion million spells and items to scroll through), even if I'd kinda prefer a setting where it stops when the overall menu opens, but I can live with just Wait since I usually have a good idea of which overall option to pick.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Chess tournaments need clocks because a game can't last forever and the outcome of a decision does not depends on the time you take (nothing happens in the meantime, the game is stuck waiting for your decision).

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Chess tournaments need clocks because a game can't last forever and the outcome of a decision does not depends on the time you take (nothing happens in the meantime, the game is stuck waiting for your decision).
What you are describing is the "Wait" setting, actually. "Active" keeps the clock running even in menus, "Wait" suspends time when a selection box is open. Though, I suppose it could be that the exact circumstances of just when the clock is stopped may vary according to the specific so-called version of ATB used- I know there were at least two revisions, and it would not surprise me at all if Square kept tinkering (they were like that under Sakaguchi).

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Chess clocks work because you spend 1% of your time moving your hands and 99% of your time thinking of your move.

The real time system on the other hand is just a race to get through the radial menus fast enough plus animation autism, which is the literal opposite of fun.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
The real time system on the other hand is just a race to get through the radial menus fast enough plus animation autism, which is the literal opposite of fun.
You do get that the "Battle Speed" setting literally every ATB-equipped game ever had was there for a reason, right? It works in both "Active" and "Wait".

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The more cute anime girls a JRPG has the more appealing it is. Especially when they have thighs so thick you can make a religion out of it.

atelier-ryza-protagonist-artwork-Reisaline-Stout-toridamono.png

ss05.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
*Shining Force 1 & 2 - Mint simplistic turn based adventuring. No frills here, you go on an adventure to kill the big bad, you get as many team mates as poss, you do cool things.

:bro:

These two are something else, the gameplay could be improved a lot nowadays and the story doesn't stand out but the companions you can recruit alone (with different skills/builds) makes these game a must-play.
A lot of secret characters and even some weird ones like a weak turtle you can enlist which can become overpowered for a while when you can promote her to a monster class (very powerful special attacks with a high chance to trigger)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's a shame most of the secret characters get really overshadowed by mandatory ones like peter and slade. Well, slade is kinda garbage for a while but becomes a glass cannon pretty quick and always has good movement so tends to get a lot of kills. I always wanted to use the cool characters like the wolfman and the robot and rare promotions but they're all mostly kinda crap.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The wolfman is one of the best characters in the game, after promotion, he only gets +3 attack per level just like Peter (a phoenix for anyone who didn't play it), i always use either zynk or claude (robot and golem), they need one or 2 running pimento (+ 1 movement) and maybe some HP but they're both powerful as well.

I agree about slade, he's quite interesting to play but you have to keep in out of harm's way and throw him into the fray when it matters.

There's also the secret mastermonk karna, whom is overpowered, the summoner, Taya or something with her new and powerful spells ...

The real crap ones are probably the birds-men but even skreech can be used with some power boosts, his movement makes him very good to support the phenix and the Pegasus knight.

And there's also Shining Force 1 which is worth a replay with the floating egg mage Domingo, the dragon, etc.

v1rus

Arcane
It's a shame most of the secret characters get really overshadowed by mandatory ones like peter and slade. Well, slade is kinda garbage for a while but becomes a glass cannon pretty quick and always has good movement so tends to get a lot of kills. I always wanted to use the cool characters like the wolfman and the robot and rare promotions but they're all mostly kinda crap.

If i remember right - Slade and Peter are obvious powerhouses, but other four "unique characters" certainly have a place in the party - Geralt, Zync, Klaud and Kiwi. Kiwi being the biggest stretch.

I mean, the game isnt hard really, and you have like 12 spots.

1 for the protag (Bowie), six for uniques - Slade, Peter, Geralt, Zync, Klaud and Kiwi. And you have five spots left.

I usually take the starter team (Sarah, Chester, Jaha, Kazin) for nostalgia reasons, slap them alternate promotions, and still have a spot left. The 12th usually goes to the semi-unique centaur, May, but i occasionally swap her for the scary elven wizard. Luka if you really need another flyer, but you already have 3, so eh.

But yeah, the game isnt that hard, you can pretty much take characters by using rule of cool, and still breeze through the game.

Now, couple years ago i beat the full SFIII, and I was under impression that it was excellent. Need to give it another chance obv, but I'd say its certainly worth a shot.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Now, couple years ago i beat the full SFIII, and I was under impression that it was excellent. Need to give it another chance obv, but I'd say its certainly worth a shot.

The sluggish 3D exploration is a huge letdown and that's why i never finished it and i can't seem to be able to emulate PS games anymore (probably because of my processor, i'm not sure)

Luka if you really need another flyer, but you already have 3, so eh.

I believe that's 2 flyers only without a birdman (Peter the phoenix + Chester once promoted to Pegasus knight)

v1rus

Arcane
The sluggish 3D exploration is a huge letdown and that's why i never finished it and i can't seem to be able to emulate PS games anymore (probably because of my processor, i'm not sure)

I dont seem to remember it bothering me, but yeah, its a huge change compared to older SF games. Its a saturn game tho, but same difference.

I really like the save transfer thing tho, and abundance of secrets. The plot also got better if i remember correctly, since a big part of it was focused on politics, rather than on saving the world.

I believe that's 2 flyers only without a birdman (Peter the phoenix + Chester once promoted to Pegasus knight)

Peter, Chester and Kiwi :D I still have no idea just how exactly he flies (probably climbs around?) But he has fliers movement, unless i went completely senile.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You might be right, he doesn't fly but he can cross mountains the same way, i'm not sure about holes, though.

There's a fanmade new Shining Force game in production (Legacies of Veridocia), might take a couple of years to finish though, they're doing it on their free time, as i understand but it's quite good, didn't try the last demo, you can grab it there

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Aren't Secret of Mana failed with mixed reviews?

Sorry, perhaps it was Legend of Mana. Whichever is the better one, I suppose?

It was pretty interesting for it's time, but I can't say I'd recommend it. I liked Evermore a lot more, much more original setting and very charming all around.

Legend of Mana is a whole different beast I could write a small novel about.
Well, is this how the music is in-game?

That’s sorta Metal ok! (My mind is subject to change)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom