Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTwP is the Same as TB the Only Difference Being You Pick The T

Master

Arbiter
Turn Based is simply the civilized thing to do, like wearing clothes or living in a house.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
He means the real time blobbers like Grimrock. You know, the crappy kind.

Also, Etrian Odyssey doesn’t have timed combat. Neither does Elminage Gothic or jap Wizardry games afaik. Which jap ones are you referring to?

None technically, I assumed it was jap shit because I think that's what some JRPGs do.
Or rather Septerra Core came to mind, I think. :lol:

Did Anachronox do that too? I don't remember.

Btw, Septerra Core is the worst JRPG and Anachronox is the best.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
He means the real time blobbers like Grimrock. You know, the crappy kind.

Also, Etrian Odyssey doesn’t have timed combat. Neither does Elminage Gothic or jap Wizardry games afaik. Which jap ones are you referring to?

None technically, I assumed it was jap shit because I think that's what some JRPGs do.

Did Anachronox do that too? I don't remember.

Btw, Septerra Core is the worst JRPG and Anachronox is the best.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Anachronox is not a jrpg,it is a western one with some jrpg shit in it.

Mustawd

Did Anachronox do that too? I don't remember

FF7 did that. I mean FF has experimented with many types of combat systems with varying success. DQ has always been true turn based though :obviously:

Mustawd

DQ has always been true turn based though
DQ was phase-based until DQ11, which was dumbed down with TB.

Fake news. I just finished playing DQ9. That isn’t phased based. It’s obviously turn-based.

EDIT: The easiest example to tell it is turn-based is that you can affect the order of your attacks if you cast haste (or whatever the spell is called).

I addition, you also have abilities that allow you to bypass turn order and make the first attack regardless of the enemy’s speed/attack turn.

Perkel

Arcane
Real time with pause is when someone makes real time game and realizes that you can't play this shit like that and tries to salvage situation by giving player active pause button.

Now instead of neatly organized game-play you have clusterfuck to micromanage more than turn based game in which everything is neat and tidy.

+ thanks to real time gameplay you can stuff filler mobs everywhere something which doesn't work in turn based games as anyone with two eyes will notice that those filler fights are bad bad bad bad BAD.

Fairfax

Arcane
DQ has always been true turn based though
DQ was phase-based until DQ11, which was dumbed down with TB.

Fake news. I just finished playing DQ9. That isn’t phased based. It’s obviously turn-based.

EDIT: The easiest example to tell it is turn-based is that you can affect the order of your attacks if you cast haste (or whatever the spell is called).

I addition, you also have abilities that allow you to bypass turn order and make the first attack regardless of the enemy’s speed/attack turn.
There's a declaration phase and a resolution phase. The fact Agility affects when actions are resolved doesn't make it TB, that's absurd. If you're suggesting only simultaneous resolution is phase-based, you don't know what you're talking about.

Mustawd

I think you’re just being an autist now Fairfax. DQ not turn-based? Now that’s absurd.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Real time with pause is real time with pause. There’s no greater insult for it.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
satandamnit ad&d is phase-based, have you heard of weapon speed factors and initiative rolls and round segments - or do you just spam the attack button like it's red alert? when i buy larian a 2x4 will definitely say "you will learn" dripping blood of fools like you

laclongquan

Arcane
Real time with pause is when someone makes real time game and realizes that you can't play this shit like that and tries to salvage situation by giving player active pause button.

Now instead of neatly organized game-play you have clusterfuck to micromanage more than turn based game in which everything is neat and tidy.

+ thanks to real time gameplay you can stuff filler mobs everywhere something which doesn't work in turn based games as anyone with two eyes will notice that those filler fights are bad bad bad bad BAD.

This is the usual argument the bad tactical players present when they dont want to admit they are just bad at playing tactical battles.

Real Time with Pause can be the neatest gameplay you can arrange. If you know how.

I present specimen A: UFO Aftershock. and specimen B: UFO Afterlight.

You can arrange every action to the smallest grain of time (tenths of seconds). In every battles.

There's no such thing as a filler mob in both games. Each battle has a role of its own. If you want to ignore one battle, you damn well be ready to pay the price: the loss of a strategical location, the lost possibility of looting new equipments, etc... And of course, sometimes you just dont have it in you to pay the price of fighting a battle, even if we win it. Sometimes it's just better to ignore that battle, lose that territory, and later on return on a revenge fight.

Beastro

Arcane
Videogames calculate the gameworld in discrete moments in time, so technically every game is turnbased

Its just 60+ turns per second, bros

It's the same crap as saying Paradox Grand Strategy games are turned base like others are because every day is a turn. It's pedantry that completely misses the point, which I'm not surprised from this forum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom