Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Viata

Arcane
i would love to get to kill Drizzt again

AC Lord:

drizzt.jpg

Vorpal on 1st hit:

drizzt2.jpg
Why kill the dude when you could pickpocket him ?!
Why wouldn't you kill an elf?
A black one on top of that.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Anyone noticed that some BG veterans are conspicuously absent in ITT?
Kingmaker.

I am going through my 3d Unfair run in endless dungeon hunting for more bosses as I'm typing.
I don’t understand the depths of 2nd edition but it isn’t as fun as when I played Kingmaker it sure felt a lot more complex and interesting than AD&D, leveling up was actually interesting. Or, am I missing something?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Overly complex leveling where you just pick options making you do things you have been doing all that time a bit better is not really required for a good RPG or even character building tbh. IE games still had nice growth and difficulty curve and relied more on enemy abilities and expansive magic system which wasn't any worse than 3.0 and at places I'd say it was even better (especially at helping AI being competent, like stoneskins and such).

All that "pick dis to be 5% better at hitting enemies" is pretty asinine when you think about it.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Overly complex leveling where you just pick options making you do things you have been doing all that time a bit better is not really required for a good RPG or even character building tbh. IE games still had nice growth and difficulty curve and relied more on enemy abilities and expansive magic system which wasn't any worse than 3.0 and at places I'd say it was even better (especially at helping AI being competent, like stoneskins and such).
I guess, I haven’t gotten to BG2 where I believe the IE games hit their peak with mechanics.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone noticed that some BG veterans are conspicuously absent in ITT?

Lhynn ... octavius ...

I refuse to board :hype:
Being :bounce:about new games only leads to :butthurt:.

Besides the game is probably not made by any of the original devs. As far as I am concerned the true BG3 ship sailed a long time ago. It may turn out to be a decent game, with only a token amount of offensive romances or transphilia agenda shoved down the player's throat, but the chance of the game capturing the spirit of BG1 and 2 is very slim, I think.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was only taking the piss several pages ago when I rewrote the Diable 2 storyline with Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul....

Ziggy

Scholar
after BG2, everyone hanged out and had a grand old time drinking cool beers and doing pranks and such. just being boys

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
HOWEVER: "Heroes of Baldur's Gate", which was released AFTER "Murder in Baldur's Gate", completely avoids the topic, and simply names CHARNAME as "Gorion's Ward". The same thing with the "resurrected/remade Minsc" comics, where Gorion's Ward hasn't been mentioned in any capacity even once.

Basically there are two possibilities right now:
- Abdel Adrian becomes the "canon" CHARNAME full-time (Human, Male, Neutral).
- They're going to retcon it.

EDIT: Terribly sorry, made one mistake. Abdel Adrian was canonically a Fighter back when he was the same guy from the novels. As of 5th Edition (and "Murder in Baldur's Gate") his class is left intentionally blank.

They're gonna do a Diablo 2 and make Abdel Adrian the big bad. Then the butthurt will be complete. ;)

Turuko

Learned
if there's one thing Swen has been categorical in the many same interviews is that it's not coming out this year

agris

Arcane
Patron
Looks worse than abominations like these ?

3TtpsM0.jpg

That I have to be a sjw to think this look like absolute garbage ?

Holy shit, Larian fans, THIS is what you like? This contributes to your excitement over BG3? Do you also love anime and live rent-free in your parent’s house?

Is Larian’s fan base here all 12 year olds LARPing lightning bolt in their local park?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
HOWEVER: "Heroes of Baldur's Gate", which was released AFTER "Murder in Baldur's Gate", completely avoids the topic, and simply names CHARNAME as "Gorion's Ward". The same thing with the "resurrected/remade Minsc" comics, where Gorion's Ward hasn't been mentioned in any capacity even once.

EDIT: Terribly sorry, made one mistake. Abdel Adrian was canonically a Fighter back when he was the same guy from the novels. As of 5th Edition (and "Murder in Baldur's Gate") his class is left intentionally blank.

They're gonna do a Diablo 2 and make Abdel Adrian the big bad. Then the butthurt will be complete. ;)

No, he dies either way in "Murder in Baldur's Gate". What was a good touch is stating that Bhaal's "spirit" is so weak because it has been suffused with CHARNAME'S goodness over the years, and thus weakened.

Did they even bother explaining that? I suppose if you were good in BG you could suppress Bhaal, but in that module he had the essence of all the Bhaalspawn and was able to overcome Abdel Adrian and turn him into the slayer anyway. And then a level 40 character who turns into the slayer gets killed by a bunch of plebs playing their firs module.

At this point I don't know what's worse; their writing or total disregard for the character people built in the BG games. They should have just had the balls to do what was done in Dawn of War 2, and banished the main character. But then I suppose people would want to find them.

hexer

He was also canonically 7 ft. tall :lol:

EDIT: OK, let's face it: the game will be coming out in the Holiday Season. Below is the only good drawing of Minsc (no goofy face, no battle cry, just a nice, confident look).

I've read a journalist's speculation the game will come out at the same time as Stadia which is November 2019.
That's fabulously optimistic especially when you hear Sven say: "it will come out when it's ready"

Neanderthal

Arcane
No, it doesn't even make sense that Abdel Adrian has ANY essence within him, since in the "choose mortality" ending it is removed from him entirely. In that particular ending, ironically, the only ones left with the essence of Bhaal are Imoen and Sarevok.

Sarevok protagonist? Yes please.

hexer

This is his last portrait before bastards nicked him.
I blame the fucking Harpers!

TnIORl7.jpg

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
well you got me to replay bg1, f/m/t solo as developer-made npc party members are the cancer that ruins everything and managing multiple party members in rtwp sucks. 3 party members is still what i consider the most playable IE imo, but when you're down and low in Nashkel and Beregost and you're an arnie 18/00 and cursed sword of beserking and true neutral and there's a trail of bodies behind you - some alone time hiding in shadows guzzling antidotes is all you crave, honestly.

who the fuck is larian? are they of the croft 2-bouldered tradition or do they triple-distill their Trappist dew? belgium is a lie but surely the UN freemasons would not stoop as low as to besmirch Poirot's good name? it's bound to be over the shoulder console crap, but can i be the devil on your shoulder and suggest an oxymoron such as a solid d&d game? that's all i want for lucifermas - all i ever wanted to pay for a game - and you fucks think you're just too cool to deliver. what gives?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

No, he dies either way in "Murder in Baldur's Gate". What was a good touch is stating that Bhaal's "spirit" is so weak because it has been suffused with CHARNAME'S goodness over the years, and thus weakened.

Did they even bother explaining that? I suppose if you were good in BG you could suppress Bhaal, but in that module he had the essence of all the Bhaalspawn and was able to overcome Abdel Adrian and turn him into the slayer anyway. And then a level 40 character who turns into the slayer gets killed by a bunch of plebs playing their firs module.

At this point I don't know what's worse; their writing or total disregard for the character people built in the BG games. They should have just had the balls to do what was done in Dawn of War 2, and banished the main character. But then I suppose people would want to find them.

No, it doesn't even make sense that Abdel Adrian has ANY essence within him, since in the "choose mortality" ending it is removed from him entirely. In that particular ending, ironically, the only ones left with the essence of Bhaal are Imoen and Sarevok.

He must have had some essence according to wizards no? Otherwise why did vie king want to hill him? if vie kiang wanted to bring back Bhaal, and he was the last bhaalspawn he could just commit suicide. Retardation of it all is making my brain hurt.

Twizman

Scholar
Played Divinity Original Sin yesterday for the first time with a positive and excited attitude, hoping to get hyped for Baldur's Gate 3.

What the f* is this. Jesus. Thought this was meant to be one of the better rpgs in recent times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom