Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has Kickstarter been a positive influence on the RPG genre?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

RaptorRex888

Learned

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Pro: Kingdom Come: Deliverance (one of the two best games I've kickstarted) and Paper Sorcerer

Con: Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, and Underworld: Ascendant.

:M

Insert Title Here
Yes, because it started a golden age of board games/pnp and that interest trickles down and gets people interested in crpgs. In theory. I have no proof of this at all, not the trickle down part I mean.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Yes, it has destroyed the nostalgia-driven myth that if the good old developers just had the chance, they could make Fallout and Planescape Torment again.

It is good to destroy myths.

It did bring us new, good games from the new developers, such as Serpent in the Staglands, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and some others so there's also that.

Yes, it has destroyed the nostalgia-driven myth that if the good old developers just had the chance, they could make Fallout and Planescape Torment again.

all good video games are created by accident. i have come to accept this.

I remember watching post mortem of the original X-Com by Julian Gollop some years back, and it showed this so perfectly, the team they got together was formed by an accident, such as the artist(s) who made the artstyle was put into the project by Microprose IIRC.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kickstarter helped the genre endure a difficult period when it was considered not financially profitable to create such games. Plus, we got some really good/decent titles - Wasteland 2 DC, Shadowruns, Pillars, D:OS, Kingdom Come Deliverance (and will hopefully get some more before this era ends, I especially hope for Realms Beyond).

Cross

Arcane

Though there are some where that was the case, such as Broken Age and Underworld Ascendant, most of the Kickstarter disappointments were not made by the 'good old developers'. The people who were responsible for WL2, PoE and T:ToN were not the creative minds behind Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I think it has allowed for developers to prove that there is still a strong market for RPGs, which didn't seem to be a message received by publishers. Picking a good kickstarter is still a crapshoot though. Disclaimer: I backed Underworld Ascendant.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Well, at least we didn't have to suffer a space-sim scam lethal blow like Star Citizen

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
expeditions, shadowruns, ATOM, kingmaker, just to name few.

the real harm is bigger companies like inexile putting up crap that harms people actually who wanted make good games by reducing trust in crowdfunding.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
It brought us the Shadowruns, Pillars of Eternity, Expeditions: Conquistador, Serpents in the Staglands, Dead State, Wasteland 2 and D:OS1-2. While only D:OS1 and D:OS2 seem to be the really successful on a worldwide scale, the other games filled their own niche and filled a hole we got after...dunno...NWN2? Dragon Age Origins, if you want to be generous? It brought us some excellent, some good and some average stuff, but none of those games were bad per se. The Fall: Last Days of Gaia from 2004 was bad, because it was unplayable after its release. These games were fun. I had fun. Wouldn't replay some of those, but I had fun.

Last edited:

ShaggyMoose

Savant
But they are only two games, in how long? For every terrible kickstarter (again, see my disclaimer above) there have been a few that were at least playable. I would rather have the choice than expect every game released to be incredible.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

all good video games are created by accident. i have come to accept this.

By that notion there wouldn't be sequels that are better than the original game.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
No Kickstarter NO: ATOM, D:OS 1&2 - indirectly also no BALDURS GATE 3, Wasteland 2, Kingdom Come, Darkest Dungeon, Expeditions, Pillars, Serpent in Staglands, Shadowruns, Pathfinder, Eisenwald, Insomnia..

Tacticool few examples: Xenonauts, Hard West..

In near future: Realms Beyond, Iron Oath, Stygian: Realm of the Old Ones, Black Geyser, Copper Dreams, Stoneshard, Encased...

Don't ever allow (legitimate) butthurt brought by experts at failure cloud your isometric view of entire phenomenon. Phenomenon which is btw dying, great and backed by demo ideas like DEMIURGOS fail to collect lower and lower funding goal sums because many people like to throw a hissy fit and say that every Kickstarter is made by untrusty Hungarian whore devs only because his last Kickstarter was Underworld: Ascendent and last girlfriend from Hungary. Which is just so sad

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Who misses the thrill and excitment of golden kickstarter age, when every stretch goal was achievable and every promise believable?!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom