Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bloodstained - Koji Igarashi's new metroidvania game

Wunderbar

Arcane
Got to wonder if David Hayter was picked purely because they were both screwed by Konami.
Hayter was screwed by Kojima, not by Konami.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
What is a proper metroidvania anyways?

It's technically not a Castlevania game, nor is it Metroid, and there are many metroidvania games that have been released these past few years, some of which got popular and beloved like Hollow Knight or the La-Mulana games, so i don't understand the proper metroidvania thing.
The important thing to me is a non linear path through a large open world, and something gained from killing enemies, whether xp or currency or random item drops. Lots of games fail the first aspect by gating their power ups in a specific order. The second aspect isn't as important, but without it, killing enemies is pointless and you're basically playing an open world platformer.

RoSoDude

Arcane
New in-depth gameplay interview with someone from Way Forward (Shantae developer), who joined the project for the final development push.

Tons of incline here. Looks like all of the systemic breadth of Symphony of the Night with the polish and gameplay depth of Aria of Sorrow/Portrait of Ruin/ Order of Ecclesia. Some highlights:
  • You can hotswap your gear/shard setup with a radial menu. Up to 8 purchaseable slots
  • Weapon critical arts can be performed with unique input combos and cost MP. You can either learn them by experimentation or through books that you find in the world which specify the input combo, effect, and eligible weapons
  • There's a new parry and riposte mechanic which looks to require pretty precise timing and is possibly unique to certain weapons (maybe as a critical art?)
  • More new familiars -- here we saw a fairy familiar that conjures arrows and points out breakable walls and a knight familiar that attacks enemies and even occasionally blocks enemy attacks with his spear
  • Guns are an actual weapon class with different ammo types, some of which are finite. Ammo capacity can be increased with upgrades found through exploration
  • The crafting system can be used to upgrade shards as well as craft equipment and items
  • The Way Forward guy talked about how they were brought onto development to assist where needed, particularly in brushing up the game's graphics

Last edited:

bataille

Arcane
I have very high hopes for this. The nostalgia for Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia, and Symphony of the Night is gnawing at me.

Jinn

Arcane
Has there been any word on the difficulty of the game yet? Will there be any different difficulty settings or is it aiming to be a challenging experience by default? We all know how unfortunately easy SotN was, and I'm a little concerned that's how this'll turn out.

That's pretty much the only thing besides waiting to hear how long the game is that's holding me back from playing day one.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has there been any word on the difficulty of the game yet? Will there be any different difficulty settings or is it aiming to be a challenging experience by default? We all know how unfortunately easy SotN was, and I'm a little concerned that's how this'll turn out.

That's pretty much the only thing besides waiting to hear how long the game is that's holding me back from playing day one.

If it's like all his other ones you will probably have to unlock harder difficulties by finishing the game. Though I feel as though the later DS games weren't as easy as SOTN, but I haven't played them lately to say for sure. I'm sure there are ways to make it harder by using weaker armor/equipment, etc. "Nightmare Difficulty" was a stretch goal, not sure if it is already in the game or will be added later. The game is already slated to have updates, but they only mention new modes/online functionality so I assume the difficulty is at least there from the start (whether or not you can select it right away is a mystery)

On release / day one patch:
  • Boss Rush Mode
  • Speedrun Mode
  • Pure Miriam outfit

Later:
  • Two additional playable characters (Zangetsu and ???)
  • Local and online multiplayer for certain co-op and vs. modes
  • Roguelike Mode
  • Chaos Mode
  • Classic Mode
  • Boss Revenge Mode

no idea what classic mode, chaos mode or "boss revenge" mode are.. there are also supposed to be cheat codes you can enter to do various things, it'd be nice if one of them affected difficulty somehow.

Wunderbar

Arcane

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What is a proper metroidvania anyways?

It's technically not a Castlevania game, nor is it Metroid, and there are many metroidvania games that have been released these past few years, some of which got popular and beloved like Hollow Knight or the La-Mulana games, so i don't understand the proper metroidvania thing.

Metroids are proper Metroidvanias, what drugs are you on?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most "Metroidvanias" are more like "Metroid-likes" to me. The thing that always differentiated Igarashi's Castlevania games from Metroid were the RPG elements like XP, the player having stats, the itemization of weapons and armor, etc. and most, if not all, of indie "Metroidvanias" don't have any of those elements. That aspect is probably why I'm more excited for Bloodstained than than I was for Hollow Knight or Axiom Verge.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Whether XP or not, the core element of Metroidvania's are large worlds who have areas gated by either special items or abilities. You can level up as much as you want in Metroidvania's with RPG-like progression, but you still need those items or abilities to get past those gates. If you not you have just 2d-action RPGs like Zeliard or Ys3

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
The core element of Metroid-likes are large worlds who have areas gated by either special items or abilities. There is nothing in that definition that is unique to Castlevania that is worth adding "vania" at the end. The vast majority of these types of games are basically Metroid clones. The only reason people refer to them as "Metroidvanias" is because, much like FF7 to JRPGS, it is the first game of that genre they played (SOTN) when the term was used to differentiate it from previous Castlevania games which were action side scrollers. Being the ignorant plebs they are, they started using that term for any game faintly similar to SOTN's structure, and here we are today.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The core element of Metroid-likes are large worlds who have areas gated by either special items or abilities. There is nothing in that definition that is unique to Castlevania that is worth adding "vania" at the end. The vast majority of these types of games are basically Metroid clones. The only reason people refer to them as "Metroidvanias" is because, much like FF7 to JRPGS, it is the first game of that genre they played (SOTN) when the term was used to differentiate it from previous Castlevania games which were action side scrollers. Being the ignorant plebs they are, they started using that term for any game faintly similar to SOTN's structure, and here we are today.

Oh, you're one of these idiots who get insulted over the idea that Metroid has to share name-space with Castlevania despite, in your opinion, not adding anything to the term. Deal with it, Metroidvania is a term that stays and includes Metroids, Meroid-like Castlevanias and all the games they inspired

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik

Oh, you're one of these idiots who get insulted over the idea that Metroid has to share name-space with Castlevania despite, in your opinion, not adding anything to the term. Deal with it, Metroidvania is a term that stays and includes Metroids, Meroid-like Castlevanias and all the games they inspired

Are you retarded? I said in a previous post on this very page that the difference was with RPG elements, which is additive to the Metroid experience. I also said I am more excited for Bloodstained precisely because of those RPG elements. Also I'm not insulted, but you do seem awfully triggered.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Released:

https://af.gog.com/game/bloodstained_ritual_of_the_night?as=1649904300

Koji Igarashi (Iga), creator of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, is bringing Igavania back!

Play as Miriam, a cursed orphan whose body is slowly being crystallized. Explore and conquer a demon-infested castle to save the world, and yourself in the process.

Omg there's so much to cover, geez...ok here we go:

So this is Iga's biggest game ever, roughly twice as big as his previous games.

There's crafting, cooking, upgrading and hundreds of weapons, spells, gear and cosmetics to power up and look the way you want while you fight the demons of hell.

We got a celebrity cast to do all the voice acting, including David Hayter(!) from the Metal Gear franchise, and a full orchestra soundtrack by Michiru Yamane, composer of Castlevania: Symphony of the night.

Still with me? Ok good. Pay attention!

Bloodstained's getting 13 FREE DLCs after launch. That's right - THIRTEEN. FREE. DLCs.

What's included in the DLCs? Ugh this thing is gonna go on forever...

Ok so at launch we're including:

- New Game Plus
- 8bit Level
- Nightmare Difficulty
- Pure Miriam Set
- Boss Rush Mode
- Speed Run Mode

After launch you're getting:

- Co-op & Vs.
- Local and online multiplayer
- Roguelike dungeon
- 2 extra playable characters
- Chaos Mode
- Classic Mode
- Boss Revenge Mode

Oh yeah and the game has alternate endings!

Omg is that it? Yeah? Ok good.

Go buy Bloodstained now! I mean I took all this time to write this. How rude would it be if you didn't buy it after everything I just wrote? You're not a rude person are you?

Of course not.

Glad we settled that.

And if you don't buy it, Iga will get mad at me. Dude has a whip, ok? ; _ ;

Last edited by a moderator:

Tehdagah

Arcane
"Koji Igarashi (Iga), creator of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, is bringing Igavania back!"

He was the co-director of SOTN, not the creator.

flyingjohn

Arcane
"Koji Igarashi (Iga), creator of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, is bringing Igavania back!"

He was the co-director of SOTN, not the creator.
Partly through the game development the main director let Igarashi finish the game in his place.

Perkel

Arcane
Downloading !

Positively hyped about it. It has been a while since i played metroidvania. 2 years ago i finished aria of sorrow which was excellent.

Bahamut

Arcane
Well played it abit, and im pleasently surprised, game is good so far. Controls, music hell even those 3d backgrounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom