Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Yosharian

Arcane
I just found out acid maw doesn't work for animal companions without bite attack. Funny and makes you think if you want something else than pets with no bite.
What's Acid Maw? A spell?
It is a druid spell.
Interesting. Shame it doesn't scale very well. Unless the acid damage from each bite is a separate instance? I'm guessing not.
....? It's a level 1 druid/ranger spell. It scales extremely well for its niche.
1d4 per round on one target? That's almost worthless, especially compared to many other excellent first-level spells.
You're not paying attention to the spell. It's 1 minute/level (which is way stronger in rtwp than it is in tabletop), it scales every 4 levels (not the best rate, but hardly poor, especially when it comes to Druid/Ranger spells), it works with Sneak Attack, AND it deals damage of an elemental type. I'm not arguing that it's a god-tier spell, but it's definitely not shit, and it is VERY useful on certain builds in the early to mid game.
Well, admittedly Druids have fuck all else to cast at level 1

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Complete aside: All this talk about druids and acid made me think of a PnP campaign where some xenomorphs get loose in a bumfuck forest somewhere in Fantasy land. Imagine Orc/Xeno hybrids. Imagine DIRE XENOMORPHS. IMAGINE A GREEN DRAGON XENOMORPH QUEEN. :shredder:

Thonius

Arcane
Wow, that's... kinda just what the game needed to feel complete.

Just wish the author didn't shove his arbitrary decision down everyone's throats.
He fixed Magic Vestment. Cool.

But he also went to nerf animal companions and edited the stats of companions and even broke Tristan (gave him fire domain, which clearly wasn't the intention of the Devs).

Wish he separated the added features from arbitrary changes to make it closer to PnP or more balanced.
It's like 8 mods in one package
NOTE: Changes to animal companion bonuses, npc companions, and class skill points are optional and can be disabled (set corresponding values
to false in your game_folder/Mods/CallOfTheWild/settings.json)
Hm looks like you can turn off this somewhat retardo changes.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Interesting. Shame it doesn't scale very well. Unless the acid damage from each bite is a separate instance? I'm guessing not.
It's an amazing lvl 1 spell that scales marvelously. It lasts for a long time and adds per-round damage even without attacking. Even at lvl 4, assuming your animal companion is attacking one specific enemy each turn (more if you're alternating) it adds a minimum of 2d4 damage/turn, and that's to an attack that usually only does between 1d4 to 1d8 damage. For a 1st-level spell, this completely outclasses most (all?) other lvl 1 Druid Spells. What're you going to use instead? Flare Burst? Snowball? Sure, Magic Fang is basically mandatory, but you'll be using Greater Magic Fang as soon as you can.

A Druid without 1-2 Acid Maws is an idiot. It's a great level 1 spell.
1d4 per round on one target? That's almost worthless, especially compared to many other excellent first-level spells.
Well, admittedly Druids have fuck all else to cast at level 1
Which is it? And it's not really that lvl 1 spells are bad, it's that Acid Maw is quite strong for a lvl 1 spell, limited only by time, which mostly means 1/encounter in tabletop, but not in a CRPG.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
On a random note, did they actually fix Tristian (so that he actually gets Good/Healing Domains) and Ecclesitheurge (so that they can actually prepare extra, relevant, spells?).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As far as I'm aware, yes.

It's just that Tristan has Good as primary Domain, and pretty much all Good spells are already on the cleric list.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Owlcats kinda attached Healing domain to Tristian with superglue. It stays with him even after complete respec with the mod.

Ecclesitheurge feature with using all spell slots for primary domain spells is working ok for quite some time.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
What're you going to use instead?
Entangle that actually allows ez Unfair.

But yeah Maw is useful against trolls which is why I was a bit sad when I realised that my Elk wouldn't finish trolls in mega dungeon with acid hooves and acid horns.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Just beat trolls. Game is okay so far noticing quite a bit more POZ especially in regards to morality (CE letting a guy experiment on a troll to get troll regeneration for humans as an example).

Load times are a bit better too. Almost ragequit when my EK build didn't work properly really should have tested it before trying to beat the game with it. So I respecced into Slayer.

Slayer has to be one of the best classes full BAB and sneak attack and free ranger dual wield? Why even pick rogue?

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Just beat trolls. Game is okay so far noticing quite a bit more POZ especially in regards to morality (CE letting a guy experiment on a troll to get troll regeneration for humans as an example).

Load times are a bit better too. Almost ragequit when my EK build didn't work properly really should have tested it before trying to beat the game with it. So I respecced into Slayer.

Slayer has to be one of the best classes full BAB and sneak attack and free ranger dual wield? Why even pick rogue?
You get more SA with Rogue, Rogue Talents, dex to damage if you're going that route, and skills. The real question is why pick either when you have Vivisectionist.

ArchAngel

Arcane

You get more SA with Rogue, Rogue Talents, dex to damage if you're going that route, and skills. The real question is why pick either when you have Vivisectionist.
Slayer gets full BAB

volklore

Arcane
Full BAB isn't remotely as impactfull in this game. The Stats and AC buffs from mutagen, extra feats and utility spells are much better than one extra attack that won't hit for most of the game (+and a few extra AB that also end up compensated by buffs)
I also think bypassing reqs for dual wielding feats is slightly pointless since you can qualify for perks using stat belts and those are in high supply in the game. You're unlikely to be DW early on anyway because even with two weapon fighting, the penalties are too high early on.

Sykar

Arcane
Full BAB isn't remotely as impactfull in this game. The Stats and AC buffs from mutagen, extra feats and utility spells are much better than one extra attack that won't hit for most of the game (+and a few extra AB that also end up compensated by buffs)
I also think bypassing reqs for dual wielding feats is slightly pointless since you can qualify for perks using stat belts and those are in high supply in the game. You're unlikely to be DW early on anyway because even with two weapon fighting, the penalties are too high early on.

The extra attack is at +20 in fact. +20/+15/+10/+5 vs +15/+10/+5 BAB. The attacks are the same except for the +20. So no, the extra attack is extremely effective, especially if you count in crits and crit confirmation. Two weapon fighting can be pretty effective early on on dex build with light weapons. Strength build suffer a bit more, but deal inherently more damage.

volklore

Arcane
I said not as impactful in the context of comparing slayer to vivisectionist's many perks. I played the game of hard, and the only full BAB char i ran with was valerie which was built defensively (intimidator) - full BaB is not as impactful when any intimidator can flatfoot an entire room of enemies for your medium bab char with one action, and when you stack AB to insane amounts with buffs and gear.

Sykar

Arcane
I said not as impactful in the context of comparing slayer to vivisectionist's many perks. I played the game of hard - full BaB is not as impactful when any intimidator can flatfoot an entire room of enemies for your medium bab char with one action, and when you stack AB to insane amounts with buffs and gear.

That would depend highly on the enemy. Plenty of enemies cannot be intimidated, and plenty do not rely overly much on dex for high AC either. And again, it is not just to hit but also crit confirmation which benefits from it, as well as combat maneuvers.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Vivisectionist is a class outside of classes. It is so beyond other classes with its stacking shit that yes it not being full bab doesn't matter.

Random dungeon has quite a lot enemies immune to Shaken. It even has (gasp) enemies immune to stinking cloud.

Reinhardt

Arcane
So after all i started sword saint/monk/paladin because i want to play naked samurai girl. Maybe vivisectionist too for dem ninja points.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Started a new playtrough with the TB mod and just completed Vordekais Tomb. First I was sceptic because with all the trash in the game turn based sounded like a terrible idea, but I must say it really improves the game and combat isnt that slow. It also adjust importance of many feats/strategies in a good way, definitively feels more like playing Pathfinder now, highly recommended.

Thonius

Arcane
Vivi and Alchemist in general is cheze class. Saying BAB does not matter is heck weird.
Started a new playtrough with the TB mod and just completed Vordekais Tomb. First I was sceptic because with all the trash in the game turb based sounded like a terrible idea, but I must say it really improves the game and combat isnt that slow. It also adjust importance of many feats/strategies in a good way, definitivvly feels more like playing Pathfinder now, highly recommended.
I usually turn it on for some serious shiet.

volklore

Arcane
I said FULL BaB does not matter as much - because it's much easier to stack riddiculous amounts of attacks/sneak damage/AB through buffs than in PnP. Obviously full BaB is good I just don't think it's as impactfull as in PnP or in games like ToEE for example. Obviously it's different when you play with less than 6 party members or parties that are low on support.

Turuko

Learned
are DLCs/Season Pass needed for a first run or i can pick them up later?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom