Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yeah,the game that nobody outside of the codex have even heard about.

Co8 community are not 'Dexers (though Sitra Achara, Pug and that IWD guy are registered here).

But yeah, I don't think there is any commentary outside of the 'Dex except for my stuff.

Codex Year of the Donut
How dare they want the best combat in a DnD RPG to be replicated or at least somewhat used as inspiration :O
I don't think many people worship ToEE for anything but combat.
If you read mainstream forums, no one speak of BG3 anymore nor have it in the after E3 wish list. Even on steam forums people seems to ask about classic d&d mechanics. So if they betray the grognards, it will flop and wont get the mainstream audience, it will be the next sword coast legend. If they do a true D&d game, they still risk to not make enough money to pay for such a large team, hope they do, else they will soon join their obsidian and inxile pals at Microsoft shovelware department.
BG3 is one of the most wishlisted games on steam and it just appeared a few days ago
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=popularwishlist

volklore

Arcane
I mean it's a PnP based game, and it's baldur's gate. That's a grognard premise if I ever saw one.
And I don't get why people think that using ToEE combat as inspiration will somehow taint the game with some curse that will make it sell poorly and that going A-RPG will make it sell well.

Mortmal

Arcane
How dare they want the best combat in a DnD RPG to be replicated or at least somewhat used as inspiration :O
If you read mainstream forums, no one speak of BG3 anymore nor have it in the after E3 wish list. Even on steam forums people seems to ask about classic d&d mechanics. So if they betray the grognards, it will flop and wont get the mainstream audience, it will be the next sword coast legend. If they do a true D&d game, they still risk to not make enough money to pay for such a large team, hope they do, else they will soon join their obsidian and inxile pals at Microsoft shovelware department.
BG3 is one of the most wishlisted games on steam and it just appeared a few days ago
Certainly,below outerworlds and vampire bloodlines 2 just under planet zoo :)

Codex Year of the Donut
Outerworlds and vtmb2 have been available for wishlisting for months

Mortmal

Arcane
Outerworlds and vtmb2 have been available for wishlisting for months
Sure and in a few months bg3 will have dropped one or two more ranks.

Murk

Arcane
best combat in a DnD RPG
ToEE

DxMZ1izXQAALZvJ.jpg

So which one is? KotC?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:nocountryforshitposters:
Yeah,because betraying the grognards did a real number on Bethesda and fallout3 barely sold 1000 copies. It is all about reading the market and decent marketing.

Also betraying the grognards in this case means switching from rtwp and dumbing down the game. Tho i do believe that they will go with tb and it will sell well. There is a lot of larian sheep out there that will buy it because they bought dos2.

Co8 community are not 'Dexers (though Sitra Achara, Pug and that IWD guy are registered here).

But yeah, I don't think there is any commentary outside of the 'Dex except for my stuff.
Is wrote it more as a joke,but yeah it is pretty dead out there. There is no other place to talk about grognard RPG stuff. Gamebanshee is pretty good for walks and news and few obscure games do have a hardcore communities of a hundred dudes. But for general dialogue about all kind of rpgs there is no better place,or at least i don't know. As amusing your blog is,it is still you talking about X,not ,still kudos for doing it ;). Lets hope that the day when DarkUnderlord goes raptor hunting and never comes back,is not close.

Murk

Arcane
And I don't get why people think that using ToEE combat as inspiration will somehow taint the game with some curse that will make it sell poorly and that going A-RPG will make it sell well.

Coz ToEE combat is garbage.

You rated my post edgy, which is confusing since KoTC does have good D&D combat, but whatever.

So which is your favorite D&D in a cRPG combat? Goldbox? Use your words dude.

Viata

Arcane
Funny. ToEE, KoTC and also Goldbox have great cRPG combat and any game that used any of them as inspiration is a must play for me. Sadly, this is rare as fuck to happens.

Farewell into the night

Funny. ToEE, KoTC and also Goldbox have great cRPG combat and any game that used any of them as inspiration is a must play for me. Sadly, this is rare as fuck to happens.

Why is this rare?

Parabalus

Arcane

You rated my post edgy, which is confusing since KoTC does have good D&D combat, but whatever.

Here's a very incomplete list of D&D based games with better combat than ToEE:
    • Baldur's Gate
      • Tales of the Sword Coast
      • Enhanced Edition
      • Siege of Dragonspear
    • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
      • Throne of Bhaal
      • Enhanced Edition
    • Baldur's Gate III
    • Icewind Dale
      • Heart of Winter
      • Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
    • Icewind Dale II
    • Neverwinter Nights
      • Shadows of Undrentide
      • Hordes of the Underdark
      • Kingmaker
      • Darkness over Daggerford
    • Neverwinter Nights 2
      • Mask of the Betrayer
      • Storm of Zehir
      • Mysteries of Westgate
    • Knights of the Old Republic
    • Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
    • Knights of the Chalice
    • Knights of the Chalice 2: Augury of Chaos
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Duraframe300

Arcane

Here's a very incomplete list of D&D based games with better combat than ToEE:
    • Baldur's Gate
      • Tales of the Sword Coast
      • Enhanced Edition
      • Siege of Dragonspear
    • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
      • Throne of Bhaal
      • Enhanced Edition
    • Baldur's Gate III
    • Icewind Dale
      • Heart of Winter
      • Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
    • Icewind Dale II
    • Neverwinter Nights
      • Shadows of Undrentide
      • Hordes of the Underdark
      • Kingmaker
      • Darkness over Daggerford
    • Neverwinter Nights 2
      • Mask of the Betrayer
      • Storm of Zehir
      • Mysteries of Westgate
    • Knights of the Old Republic
    • Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
    • Knights of the Chalice
    • Knights of the Chalice 2: Augury of Chaos
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Pathfinder: Kingmaker

This may warrant a nomination as worst post on the codex in 2019.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Even if one lowers their standards and take in the idea that one could like RTWP combat ala BG more enough to reduce the positives of ToEE in their ranking, the fact that games like PST and KOTOR are included in this list shows this as either obvious troll bait or genuine retardation, but I'll always treat the two as being one and the same.

w8lJDKi.png

There's just no sane RTWP fan who would think PST is anything but gutter trash.

Curratum

It's been months and months since I've seen so much stupidity in one place.

Parabalus

Arcane
Even if one lowers their standards and take in the idea that one could like RTWP combat ala BG more enough to reduce the positives of ToEE in their ranking, the fact that games like PST and KOTOR are included in this list shows this as either obvious troll bait or genuine retardation, but I'll always treat the two as being one and the same.

There's just no sane RTWP fan who would think PST is anything but gutter trash.

PS:T combat is trash but it's over quickly. ToEE's is bad, but also drags on and on due to the slow pace, needs Cheat Engine x10 to be as bearable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom