Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Division by Ubisoft

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
18 March
The Division 2 physical launch sales just 20% of Division 1's. Sum of all fears.
From the link:
As ever, UK numbers do not include digital sales.

So why the huge plummet? Well, Division 1 launched on a Tuesday in the UK, compared to Division 2's Friday arrival. The first game had a little longer to rack up numbers.

And more people now download games digitally than they did three years ago, which will deflate boxed sales.

But neither of these things will come close to making up the difference.

Regardless, The Division 2 still sold more boxed copies than any other game last week, leaving it top of the chart. 60 per cent of physical copies were sold on PlayStation 4, with 40 per cent on Xbox One.
I'm out of the loop in Division marketing, barely noticing the game until recently. Didn't help that it is tucked away in MMORPG forum which I almost never enter, and I played most of the story in singleplayer.

Metro What is it with you spamming my posts ithis thread with
rating_shit.png
?

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Those god damn UK physical sales are such an useless statistic, especially when comparing games that've been released years apart. And some clickbait sites don't even mention "UK" in the title.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Finally gave Division 1 a proper try, I must say it's p. good and the survival mode is excellent. It's already better than shit like Anthem just because max gear is capped and it isn't ruined by everything being scaled to inane proportions.

ADL

Prophet
Finally gave Division 1 a proper try, I must say it's p. good and the survival mode is excellent. It's already better than shit like Anthem just because max gear is capped and it isn't ruined by everything being scaled to inane proportions.
Division 2 is an improvement on Division 1 as it exists in Year 3.

Those god damn UK physical sales are such an useless statistic, especially when comparing games that've been released years apart. And some clickbait sites don't even mention "UK" in the title.
Not only that, considering it's an online only game I bet players got tired of putting the disk in that is only used as a form of authentication that you own the game.

BR translation is p. hilarious. Decided to listen to hyena chatter and one of them goes "Vô tacá umas granada pelo hue da coisa" (gonna throw some grenades just for the hue)

VUqlhPT.jpg

Unfortunately, the chat was designed by someone who took "global chat" literally and it's just a constant flush of Chinese and character boosting spam. Some russian and spanish as well. You have to mute one by one and there's no language filter or spam cooldown. :prosper:

Shrapnel said:
Daily: Mute 100 spammers

moussie said:
mute list is 5kb lol lotsa names

Last edited:

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

i spent ages avoiding the division because i thought it would be gay pleb shit and couldnt get past the marriage between rpg numbers and tactical shooter mechanics. When i finally succumbed to the incessant nagging of my ex-forces buddy to get it, it ended up being something we played exhaustively, and this was well after it had died down in popularity. Probably the only good "MMO" ive ever played.

From what i hear div 2 is a major improvement in all aspects, so its definitely a purchase for me sometime soon.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Well a friend and I ended up getting this and its a little underwhelming. If you really loved the first game, I'll guess you'll love this: its 99% the same in how it plays. Lots of small improvements, some stream lining but otherwise its the exact same game in a new city. The PVE content is so fucking banal. We have been slogging through everything to get the 30+ level zone (as this is when you start keeping item drops instead of scrapping it all, because before that point you will just out level any item very rapidly) and it was becoming so repetitive. Theres no imagination to the mission design at all.

Something that really pissed me off was the environment design in this game is absolutely stellar, extremely detailed and varied, and... its wasted on a game like this. The designers are obviously very talented and I just cant help but go through the game thinking "wow if only an actual RPG got this treatment instead of a fucking MMO".

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Well a friend and I ended up getting this and its a little underwhelming. If you really loved the first game, I'll guess you'll love this: its 99% the same in how it plays. Lots of small improvements, some stream lining but otherwise its the exact same game in a new city. The PVE content is so fucking banal. We have been slogging through everything to get the 30+ level zone (as this is when you start keeping item drops instead of scrapping it all, because before that point you will just out level any item very rapidly) and it was becoming so repetitive. Theres no imagination to the mission design at all.
I don't get this. Why not just release an expansion or follow the new patch / dlc model. You can make all the improvements without having to get players to start over.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
I don't get this. Why not just release an expansion or follow the new patch / dlc model. You can make all the improvements without having to get players to start over.

yeah I dont know. Market pressures I guess.

They did some year 2 content for Division 1 and then that was the end of it. Not much confidence in the shelf life of their products, over at ubisoft

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Something that really pissed me off was the environment design in this game is absolutely stellar, extremely detailed and varied, and... its wasted on a game like this. The designers are obviously very talented and I just cant help but go through the game thinking "wow if only an actual RPG got this treatment instead of a fucking MMO".

Not just in this game. Ass Creed has had great effort in its city/world design for years, Unity still looks amazing...If only they used it for a proper historical RPG series instead of Templar/Assassins/Aliens action banality......

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Following last week’s disappointing earnings call with investors, Ubisoft revealed its sales and earnings figures for the first half of 2019-20 financial year this week, revealing a whopping 93 percent year-on-year decline in operating income.

In a press release, Ubisoft pinned the blame almost entirely on Ghost Recon: Breakpoint but it’s worth noting that The Division 2 didn’t meet sales expectations either. However, there was no mention of that in the financial report.

They are in deep shit.

ADL

Prophet
Got this for free with an AMD graphics card, played through the campaign and launch. Stuck around for the Black Tusk invasion and uninstalled. Reinstalled yesterday and I'm having a blast in the new zones doing some of the repeatable content on higher difficulties at tier 5. The new targeted loot system is awesome and every loot game should have this going forward.

Regarding Breakpoint, it's strange how the tactical shooter is leaning heavily into sci-fi and the loot shooter is the one that's relatively grounded by comparison

Codex Year of the Donut
Following last week’s disappointing earnings call with investors, Ubisoft revealed its sales and earnings figures for the first half of 2019-20 financial year this week, revealing a whopping 93 percent year-on-year decline in operating income.

In a press release, Ubisoft pinned the blame almost entirely on Ghost Recon: Breakpoint but it’s worth noting that The Division 2 didn’t meet sales expectations either. However, there was no mention of that in the financial report.

They are in deep shit.
Releasing a sequel to a persistent online game so quickly was bound to fail. They are not sportsball games or call of duty. Nobody wants to lose all their progress and pay $60 for some new content every year or two.
Why would I buy Division 2 more than a few months after release when I will assume Division 3 is already being worked on and Division 2 is on life support?

Really, was there any reason for Division 2 to be its own game rather than an expansion other than greed?

typical user

Arbiter

They are in deep shit.
Releasing a sequel to a persistent online game so quickly was bound to fail. They are not sportsball games or call of duty. Nobody wants to lose all their progress and pay $60 for some new content every year or two.
Why would I buy Division 2 more than a few months after release when I will assume Division 3 is already being worked on and Division 2 is on life support?

Really, was there any reason for Division 2 to be its own game rather than an expansion other than greed?

I guess the developers couldn't fix issues within the first iteration and needed to start clean. The issues I am talking about:
-movement and the "chicken dance" in PVP
-useless consumables with long cooldowns
-useless weapon types and no way to fix them without making them OP (pump-shotguns, burst-fire weapons)
-useless perks
-press-to-win ults
-useless and mandatory abilities (the meta requires at least one healing ability)
-boring enemies

The Division 2 tried to answer those with:
-more floaty movement so you cannot strafe and avoid bullets while your opponent empties his mag or you wait for your healing skills to cooldown
-consumables removed, grenades are tied to specialization (in the first game PVP was about rooting someone in place with stun grenades or nuking 1/3 of their health with frag nades)
-burst-fire or single shot weapons are now Rifles, burst-fire SMGs have been removed, pump shotguns got buffed
-perks have been changed by 180 degrees, people agree that TD2 loot is complicated and has even more useless stuff than the first game
-ults have been replaced with signature weapons
-mobile cover was a meme, got replaced with even more pathetic stuff like hive, or fireflies but there was an attempt
-increased variety, even starting factions have berserkers, shields, turret/drone operators or snipers, the rioters from the first game were golf-club idiots, snipers, grenadiers throwing smokes, grunts and LMGs (usually as bosses)

Other than that people begged for story content and more areas. Everyone knew that some things could not be fixed because every change to endgame / PVP would require testing the story mode if it is beatable. I do understand why someone would be dissapointed with developers decision but The Division was 3 years old and with many huge changes to gearsets there was no sight of a true balance between the builds (1.6 patch it was high-end exotics, 1.7 Strikers, 1.8 Predators and Nomads, 1.8.1 is a mix but still someone running FireCrest or Alpha in PVP or PVM/PVE is doing it for a meme).

I am planning on getting back to the first game. Some changes are controversial and were a huge miss like dividing Dark Zone into 3 separate areas, reducing player count to accomodate for smaller field, creating new loot while they had paved the way with some gearsets in the first game, designing the game with MTX from the start (the first game got lootboxes with one of the patches in year 3 IIRC and even then it was pretty moderate stuff, even generous as you could open many boxes through achievements - nicely balanced).

If the loot was more interesting and favoring different archetypes than just assault rifle DPS then I would buy it, after playing through free weekends and such I decided to stick with the first game which has more enjoyable PVP and more interesting builds like an actual healer, tank or dps even with some broken mechanics.

Last edited:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Had fun with Division 2, stopped after getting all commendations, hardest commendation is to clear the 8 player raid without any deaths. Gathered leet players from various clans to clear it.
Took console players some time to beat raid:
https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/18/1...-hours-raid-impossible-beaten-pc-ps4-xbox-one

Think I'll go back to D1 and play survivor.
Why no survivor mode in D2? Really fun. Players go everyman for himself at the start but turn helpful near the end.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
The loot is fucking terrible in this game, but this rework looks like a massive dumbing down.

typical user

Arbiter
Currently on -95% sale for $3.00. The expansion preorder is on sale too.

Shame on me, I bought Breakpoint for full price and then it got -50% after a month.

Gerrard

Arcane
You can get the base TD2 for 95% off right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom