Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

hexer

Unreleased Nier OST part 2

hexer

I dunno, the dude that uploaded unreleased tracks is sex obsessed with 2B..
or maybe he added those images so he can get more views

Dayyālu

Arcane
Lazily checking the Steam games.....

Wait a moment....

I know this one.... You ever wanted to see what kind of shovelware Cavia managed to throw out? Yes, it seems that the Powers that Be choose to release BULLET WITCH in 2018 (did anyone even notice?) instead of giving us, I dunno, a port of original Nier or Drak 3.

May be fun as vydia archeology, if you have resistance to pain. Most of Nier's spells are sorta kida stolen from this, after all.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Played a few minutes of this. Hard as balls even on Medium to these old hands but kind of cool to see a SHMUP in a jRPG. And I heard there's no saves for the first hour (!). Help.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
The first hour is a bit of a drag. You could be forgiven for setting it to Easy mode until you finish the intro imho.

Puukko

Arcane
Hah, now start on Hard. One of the few times where I've dropped the difficulty because having every hit take 80-90% of my HP was a tad much.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The first hour is a bit of a drag. You could be forgiven for setting it to Easy mode until you finish the intro imho.

Agreed. It's a drag.. and the first bossfight is arguably the most difficult one in the entire game - due to lack of familiarity with the systems, as well as lack of mighty enhancement chips.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Came back to this and I'm on my 3rd playthrough, most on hard. I beat the second playthrough on very hard, but switched back to hard for the 3rd once I realized that HP and defensive builds make zero difference on Very Hard, because it's always one hit, one kill. You can have max HP and defense and you will still die in one hit, which removes the fun of trying different builds entirely. That said, playing one playthrough on very hard wasn't terribly difficult, it was just dull because it removed the fun of maxing your build to survive.

Anyhow, it's a very flawed game in that it's a mash-up of brilliant ideas with frequently mediocre execution. It's nice that the 3rd playthrough expands the story, but I'm sick to death of the same 5 levels over and over. The game has some really great ideas, cool moments, and pretty enjoyable combat, but lack luster level and quest design and is super repetitive. The whole thing feels like its ideas far out-strip its execution, as if it's an AAA game, but made on indie resources. Still enjoying it overall.

Tigranes

Arcane
Okay gentlemen, I have paid the dorrahs for my first yoko taro I am ready for my happy uplifting feel good story

Ivan No big discount but it's ~$33 at GMG w/ VIP, I think lowest ATM outside shady key thieves

Dayyālu

Arcane
The whole thing feels like its ideas far out-strip its execution, as if it's an AAA game, but made on indie resources. Still enjoying it overall.

It's like you are on something

Okay gentlemen, I have paid the dorrahs for my first yoko taro I am ready for my happy uplifting feel good story

I'd argue that Automata is weaker than the other games for storyfag purposes, but hey, they gave us Bullet Witch instead of Nier. Devs and priorities. Still love Automata, though.

And interestingly enough, it's a happy uplifting feel good story

in a way

Tigranes

Arcane
Anything I should know or just jump right in? I got that Special K breakfast cereal mod or whatever & have a controller

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anything I should know or just jump right in? I got that Special K breakfast cereal mod or whatever & have a controller
Learn all available systems, explore menus, self-educate on minutae. When the random town merchant tells you why they need scrap metal, you're supposed to actually read it, unlike in 99% of other JRPGs.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The multiple playthroughs aren't just extras, you gotta get to the real ending
Even more, people shouldn't be referring to the second main section of the game (Ending B) as the "second playthrough" or the third main section of the game (Endings C, D, and E) as the "third playthrough", since you haven't actually played through the game until you've reached Ending E. :M
the [E]nd of YoRHa

Jinn

Arcane
As I said almost two years ago.
This is classic Taro. He knew that players like you and I would insist on starting on the hardest difficulty, and bash their heads against the wall repeatedly until we figured out that the difficulty could, and essentially needs to be, switched. As if to ask "What is it that you really play games for?" It's also the perfect foreshadowing for the kind of heartbreaking story that's about to unfold, communicated to the player through a sense of futility in these opening moments and touching on the concept of Eternal Recurrence, a theme which resounds through the entire plot.

It's beautiful, and a true example of how the developer can interact meaningfully with his audience without fear of "journalist" intervention.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Came back to this and I'm on my 3rd playthrough, most on hard. I beat the second playthrough on very hard, but switched back to hard for the 3rd once I realized that HP and defensive builds make zero difference on Very Hard, because it's always one hit, one kill. You can have max HP and defense and you will still die in one hit, which removes the fun of trying different builds entirely. That said, playing one playthrough on very hard wasn't terribly difficult, it was just dull because it removed the fun of maxing your build to survive.

Anyhow, it's a very flawed game in that it's a mash-up of brilliant ideas with frequently mediocre execution. It's nice that the 3rd playthrough expands the story, but I'm sick to death of the same 5 levels over and over. The game has some really great ideas, cool moments, and pretty enjoyable combat, but lack luster level and quest design and is super repetitive. The whole thing feels like its ideas far out-strip its execution, as if it's an AAA game, but made on indie resources. Still enjoying it overall.
HP builds still make a difference when playing A2 because you're optimizing how long berserk mode lasts.

I think of it as an arcade action game with some fun extras for fans. That's not an insult in any way.

Jinn

Arcane
Since this thread has so little activity, I challenge you, Licorice, to explain to me how prosper that statement is.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Some people really do play games just for the challenge. I think Nier 2 does a good job of it, so I don't think v. hard is just some kind of artistic statement to nudge players in the direction of the story (which I completely skipped while playing through and then playing through again using chapter select to 100%). I've always seen the game as a gateway drug to arcade gaming for the younger generation.

Remember spending 3 hours trying to win this on v. hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qNpJwqhgAA

lol

Jinn

Arcane
Some people really do play games just for the challenge. I think Nier 2 does a good job of it, so I don't think v. hard is just some kind of artistic statement to nudge players in the direction of the story (which I completely skipped while playing through and then playing through again using chapter select to 100%). I've always seen the game as a gateway drug to arcade gaming for the younger generation.

Remember spending 3 hours trying to win this on v. hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qNpJwqhgAA

I would agree, except for the first part of the game. There is no way that opening on Hard got through testing without someone saying "hey, this is absolutely ridiculous and is going to turn a ton of people away from this game." This was absolutely intentional, and I can't see how it couldn't have been unless everyone involved with development was completely insane. Toro said "If people want to start on hard, then they're going to realize what they're asking for." Particularly relevant with the first utterances of dialogue in the game.

"Everything that lives is designed to end."
"We are perpetually trapped."
"In a never-ending spiral of life and death."
"Is this a curse?"
"Or some kind of punishment?"
"I often think of the god that blessed us with this cryptic puzzle...."
"And wonder if we'll ever have the chance to kill him."

You're a player, excited for this game. You have this uttered at you again and again as you fail, obstinately playing on the Hard mode you chose. It has a meaning, not only thematically, but in a meta sense as well. In my eyes, there was no way this was coincidence. Much like the first Nier game, which challenged the player who wanted a "challenge" in their game. This instance has a huge thematic impact on the game, and I'm glad I got to be a part of it on day one.

Jinn

Arcane
Your argument is cogent, but I think you're reading a bit too much into it.

I always saw the intro (and much of the game) as a homage to the guardian legend. Please compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6qDSCAOCAs

A completely apt and astute comparison, but in no way detracting from my original statement. "Why are you doing this? What does it fulfill in you?" And beyond. It's a statement on player expectation and input. Torturous and beautiful either way. A statement on life and the human condition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom