Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood - two player co-op with BJ's daughters

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They're far from perfect, but the recent Wolf games have been solid. Add some Arkane style design to them and they could be quite good indeed.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So they're trying to turn Wolfenstein into Crysis, but without any cool suit powers. And starting from Crysis 2-tier level design.

soulburner

Cipher
Damn, this looks so chaotic. One moment it looks awesome, the other it looks like something from ten years ago. Cool music, though. Will this be playable in singleplayer mode or is it coop only?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Damn, this looks so chaotic. One moment it looks awesome, the other it looks like something from ten years ago. Cool music, though. Will this be playable in singleplayer mode or is it coop only?

The graphics on New Colossus were weird, it could look great at times but often it was so slathered in processing effects it looked like shit. Judging by the trailers this one will be the same. Solo play is confirmed, but not sure whether your sister will be AI following you around or not there.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Having just finished New Colossus yeah, the AI isn't much to talk about. The games play best as super run n' gun stuff though, not tactical at all, so it didn't bother me much. If you do the stand your ground and popamole style though they'll just run straight at you and get mowed down.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/11/wolfenstein-youngblood-interview-getting-bjs-daughters-to-behave/

GamesBeat: How long a game is this going to be?

Gustafsson: It’s a bit weird, because this is our biggest game yet, but it’s a pretty short production time. Like I said, the story is lighter in content as well as tone. But the level progression and the non-linear narrative gives us the ability to add a lot of activities and a lot of missions to do, so the total game time is actually longer than our previous titles. I think we’re looking at at least 25 to 30 hours if you play through everything.

GamesBeat: How did you settle on two players for co-op, as opposed to a bigger squad?

Gustafsson: There are several reasons for that. One is that this is a shorter project, so there were technical reasons. Considering the length of the project and the time we had, it made sense to do the two-player solution.

But also, when we started thinking about doing something cooperatively, we pretty quickly decided that we wanted to do something with the twins. We knew that Anya was pregnant with twins. It made sense to do something fresh and new in the ‘80s when the twins were older. We also wanted to do a story about growing up and the transition between adolescence and adulthood. Those were the main reasons for going with the two characters. There are also quite a few games out there that do two-player co-op. I think we can give something to players who enjoy that.

GamesBeat: What were the kinds of things you wanted to innovate on in that area?

Gustafsson: It’s hard to say where we’re innovating, but we do have — I feel you can see something in our games, even going back to the Riddick and Darkness games we did at Starbreeze, there’s something we do in our games that makes it feel like something our team is doing. We have that formula. Adding these elements to that, to some extent I think it will be unique in itself. There aren’t many other games like it. I don’t know how it will work — we have all these retro elements and this combat that’s different from previous games, and we’re trying to double it up with co-op — but we’ll see how it works. I’m quite happy that we’re doing it, because I feel it’s a lot of fun to play.

Wunderbar

Arcane
https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/11/wolfenstein-youngblood-interview-getting-bjs-daughters-to-behave/

GamesBeat: How long a game is this going to be?

Gustafsson: It’s a bit weird, because this is our biggest game yet, but it’s a pretty short production time. Like I said, the story is lighter in content as well as tone. But the level progression and the non-linear narrative gives us the ability to add a lot of activities and a lot of missions to do, so the total game time is actually longer than our previous titles. I think we’re looking at at least 25 to 30 hours if you play through everything.
if The New Colossus is any indication, then half of these 30 hours are going to be spent by grinding for ubercommander codes through same areas again and again.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
if The New Colossus is any indication, then half of these 30 hours are going to be spent by grinding for ubercommander codes through same areas again and again.

Massive exaggeration, you get the vast majority in the course of the main game and side content, so I had to grind for maybe 30 minutes out of a 25 hour game. Also it's optional content anyway, the main story without touching that stuff would take 15 hours or so.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Massive exaggeration, you get the vast majority in the course of the main game and side content, so I had to grind for maybe 30 minutes out of a 25 hour game. Also it's optional content anyway, the main story without touching that stuff would take 15 hours or so.
you pick up these pieces of enigma code during the whole game, it builds up a feel that there's going to be some kind of end-game content.
And then the reveal - it was just an excuse to revisit every map once again and pick up some missing collectibles. Lame.

Btw, reused content is still strong with this game. Levels are not only bad from gameplay standpoint, they also look bland and repetitive cuz they were built from tiles and premade pieces. At least WTNO levels looked pretty.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There is a bonus level once you kill all the commanders. Also you get the two other body upgrades and more weapon upgrades in the commander levels. For the most part though yes, it's just a mild incentive to replay the levels if you want to keep playing the game. I think the core game is plenty long enough so it didn't bother me any, and I enjoyed the combat enough I actually played through it all. Obviously YMMV though, since many like to pretend the whole game is decline.

I agree level design is a weak point of their games though, which is a reason I think Arkane helping with that could make this one better.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I liked gunplay, but overall The New Colossus was indeed a sharp decline.
Level design is worse, story and writing were worse, pacing was worse, "gameplay/cutscenes" balance was worse. Even the visuals were worse - both previous swedish wolfenstein games looked juicy and lush, while New Colossus is drab and dusty.

The Old Blood was the best of nuWolfensteins, because it semi-successfully tried to ape RTCW.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The premise of lone protagonists fighting the nazis that have RULED THE WORLD FOR 40 YEARS with next to no resistance is so fucking dumb if you give it more than two thoughts' worth, oh man.
The reason they've ruled the world with next to no resistance (other than by the mentally ill and retarded) is because they've been doing a fucking good job of it, apparently. It's the 1960s and humanity has a goddamn Moon base, they've sent manned missions to Venus, they've been busy creating magnificent marvels of architecture, mega-engineering projects and colonizing the Solar System.

For a franchise that is ostensibly all about showing the horrors of a world ruled by the Nazis NuWolfenstein hasn't been doing a good job of it. Blaskowitz and his merry band of social rejects are portrayed as mentally ill, monstrous terrorists with no regard for human life, the poor Jews that get persecuted are actually guilty of hoarding technology that could have alleviated the misery of millions of humans (but didn't want to share with the filthy goyim) and are busy giving innocent people cancer and destroying domiciles and their inhabitants by sabotaging the magic cement. Hell, the mother of the wonder twins was a batshit insane whore that slept with perfectly innocent German soldiers that did her no ill just so she could kill them. She even relished getting pregnant by one of them just so she could abort the baby.

I get that leftists are lacking in self-awareness, but can they at least try and make the "good" guys sympathetic when they decided to shit out propaganda?

You know it's odd....this disconnect between cheerful slaughter and the parts like you say where she relates the killings in that diary and shows a mix of delight and regret. The fact is after a time, there's a big delay between the last killings which would point to a realisation that she did bad, but it's never explored and in the actual game she's totally one dimensional. There's also that bit where that sphere is used to destroy the bridge from Africa and even BJ is like 'what the fuck did I just do?' in actual distaste and horror while the Jew just laughs it off. It seems like there was some attempt at one point to make it a more grey story with 'human' Nazis (some of their conversations about their family lives and letters expressing regret at actions) and show the 'good guys' as being capable of their own atrocities(which would have made an interesting setting for a BJ that is unquestioning at first but who then evolves), but in the end they settled for the safe option while leaving these bits in, which made it strangely unsatisfying for me due to this contradiction.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Deathshead outright calls BJ a cruel man after BJ nonchalantly destroys a zeppelin full of people during the final bossfight. I was hoping that devs will expand of moral ambiguity of the resistance in the sequel, but they've expanded on this instead.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Also, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was more fun than Quake 3 and UT99.
Never even knew that existed. What the difference between that and Return's multiplayer?

I'm mixing something up here. I meant Return's multiplayer. ET is a free expansion to RtCW and a Battlefield clone.

I also just discovered this:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
This shot https://i.imgur.com/sELa41r.jpg was probably inspired by this :

VMKrIq7.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom